• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Devv's 2014- Stick a fork in me, I'm done....

Time for the 2014 start...

Many of these plants were made possible by the generous people of the THP sending me seeds and pods Thanks!

I'm looking forward to warmer weather and dirt day!

I have a bunch of seeds started, and plants at all the stages.

Here's the grow bench, a T8 x4 on top and T5 x4 on the bottom, as you can see it's loaded.

0.JPG

Top rack:
1.JPG

Bottom rack:
2.JPG

I like starting the seeds in Jiffy Pellets, as soon as they stand up I trim the mesh off and plant them 1/2" proud in a pot, or in this case a cup.

Red Rocotto the lonely Pube..
12.JPG

A few plants living under the T5, I'm super impressed with this light!

Choc Hab

4.JPG

Bhut x Y7 x Choc Bhut Douglah-Spicegeist

5.JPG

Bhut x Y7 F2-Spicegeist
6.JPG

Yellow Cardi- Jamie
7.JPG

Choc Scorp-Ramon
8.JPG

Peach Bhut- Annie
9.JPG

Going to do some tilling will post more later

stickman said:
I hope those Manzanos and Annuums produce for you brother! Looking good!
Thanks Rick,

The Annuum's I know will, the pubes are another thing. Been really struggling with them...but I never give up!

HillBilly Jeff said:
On your helmet head, have you tried taking nail clippers and gently trim some of the outside edge?  I have done this and saved them, I have also popped their heads off, and a few times I found the coty to be dead.  But generally speaking, I have found that if I don't help, I don't remember any success.  Now I didn't keep them under plastic like you're doing either.
Hi Jeff,

I've trimmed a few and had success, and then like you mentioned ran into the coties being dead. I'm leaving the plastic over it to keep it moist. I've had three this year grow out of the helmet and lost three or four. I'll have a look tomorrow, hoping for the best!

koskorgul said:
Looking nice Devv. 

Thought  I was getting a jump on the season but damn LOL
Thanks Rob!

I'm 8 to 10 weeks away from the dirt day, some are going out in a tunnel as an experiment, to see if I can push the season.

Have a good one!
Ok, so I have too many for the grow bench...

145.JPG

Dang, you're flying thru this season! Hard to keep up with your glog.

The OW are looking great, as well as the new ones. I wish you success with the pubes, I'm still debating on sowing some... lol. I mean it won't do me good here due to space since I want to have them out by the time the temps cool this year. So yeah I know it's a long time so most likely I'm gonna start late summer.

I hope they do well for you and for climate being close to mine I'll be watching closely to see how they do.

Let's have fun this year! :cheers:

-Walt

Nice list! It's amazing, how early your season starts. I still have 4 months till plantout.
Your plants look extremely healthy, good job! :-)

Balázs

Devv said:
Thanks Rick,

The Annuum's I know will, the pubes are another thing. Been really struggling with them...but I never give up!

Hi Jeff,

I've trimmed a few and had success, and then like you mentioned ran into the coties being dead. I'm leaving the plastic over it to keep it moist. I've had three this year grow out of the helmet and lost three or four. I'll have a look tomorrow, hoping for the best!

Thanks Rob!

I'm 8 to 10 weeks away from the dirt day, some are going out in a tunnel as an experiment, to see if I can push the season.

Have a good one!

Ok, so I have too many for the grow bench...

145.JPG

Very cool Scott. What kind of lights you using? 

I like your shelf.

Wow, your off to a great start Scott. Plants are all looking good, even with some eggs. did I miss it, did you find out what they are? Can't wait to see them in the ground and getting big.

Happy New Year!

Vegas_Chili said:
Dang, you're flying thru this season! Hard to keep up with your glog.

The OW are looking great, as well as the new ones. I wish you success with the pubes, I'm still debating on sowing some... lol. I mean it won't do me good here due to space since I want to have them out by the time the temps cool this year. So yeah I know it's a long time so most likely I'm gonna start late summer.

I hope they do well for you and for climate being close to mine I'll be watching closely to see how they do.

Let's have fun this year! :cheers:

-Walt
Thanks Walt!

The Pubes are new to me, so I'm going to pot them so I can move them to shade if need be.

Durham Bull said:
great start... nice OW's too

happy new year
Thanks!

And I hope your New Years is a good one!

maximumcapsicum said:

Very cool Scott. What kind of lights you using? 

I like your shelf.
Thanks Adam!

The shelf is lined with Mylar wrapping paper the back is like a mirror, too cheap at the dollar store..

The lights are a 4xT8 on top and a 4xT5 on the bottom.

JJJessee said:
Happy New Year, Scott!
It's all looking top-shelf down there. Great photography and stunning plants. 
Reminds me of Shane's last year. 
Good Luck for 2014!
Thanks JJJ!

Have a great year!

RocketMan said:
Wow, your off to a great start Scott. Plants are all looking good, even with some eggs. did I miss it, did you find out what they are? Can't wait to see them in the ground and getting big.

Happy New Year!
Thanks Bill!

I took a leaf to a retired science teacher that has a doctorate in entomology, he said no bugs...It turned out to be edema. Glad I caught it early!

annie57 said:
Nice, Scotty! Those T-5's? When will maters, aka Early Girls go in ground? Looking really good and really . . . a lot! :party:
Thanks Annie!

T8 on top and T5 on the bottom. Yes, growing the early girls and weather permitting they hit dirt March 1st. It's been a cold year, hoping the start is on time.

So today was fix the well day (replace the rotted seal that supports the pump), the parts I bought were wrong. It has a 6" casing, not a standard 5", which, when I pulled the pump up 2' was crumbling. Not cool. A new well is 10 grand!

So I spent the afternoon pulling a MacGyver. I have some material from building pits. An 8" piece of 5" pipe welded to 1/4" plate and then a base to take the weight off the existing casing which has concrete previously poured around it should hold for a while. if the casing is that bad at the top the whole run has to be close to caving in, no city water here either. Might try to install it tomorrow.

So I called the well digger, hopefully he'll call back. The oilfield work is my worry....big $$$ there why drill a homestead well?

So I finished up early enough to snap a few pics. Windy as hell, plants getting ripped up. Took 12-14 shots and gave up. Was using the Cannon, and forgot to put the cf card back in it..LOL

So here's a non I took with the Nikon....wife's making chicken and broccoli..
146.JPG

Ouch! Scott.  Sorry to hear about the well problems.  Hope the reconstruct is do-able.  Can you splice in a new section?  I have no idea what I'm talking about with the big stuff like that.

Left out the compact flash of mine before.  Frustrating!

Karma points are heavy in your favor though!

Good luck, Mike

Nice broc Scott! I mis-timed my broccoli over thanksgiving and it flowered while I was out of town. Quite a bummer, but you got to do what you got to do.

You're using 4 T-8 bulbs and 4 t5 bulbs? Grow lights or just standard cool whites? I'm going to go pick up some lighting this weekend and debating between keeping it with simple CFL's or trying the more uniform flouros.

capsidadburn said:
Ouch! Scott.  Sorry to hear about the well problems.  Hope the reconstruct is do-able.  Can you splice in a new section?  I have no idea what I'm talking about with the big stuff like that.

Left out the compact flash of mine before.  Frustrating!

Karma points are heavy in your favor though!

Good luck, Mike
Mike,

I'm in the process of making an insert that will slide inside the 6" casing, an 8" piece of 5" pipe, welded a flange (flat 1/4" stock) and making a 4 1/4" tall support of of 1/4" stock. Heating it and hammering it round, couldn't find 7" pipe. This will work until we drill a new well. Heck this patch could last 20 years if the casing doesn't collapse. But I can't take the chance of no water here, so as soon as the well guy can drill a new well we're going with that.

maximumcapsicum said:
Nice broc Scott! I mis-timed my broccoli over thanksgiving and it flowered while I was out of town. Quite a bummer, but you got to do what you got to do.

You're using 4 T-8 bulbs and 4 t5 bulbs? Grow lights or just standard cool whites? I'm going to go pick up some lighting this weekend and debating between keeping it with simple CFL's or trying the more uniform flouros.
I'm using 4100K T8's and 6400K T5's

The T8's are great for the newly sprouted, and the T5's are just great!

annie57 said:
I sure hope they'll "take into account" that you aren't Exxon, Texaco, BP, Scott. While have only lived with two wells, my cousin has "rigged and re-rigged." If it can be done, you can do it, Scotty! Good thoughts y'alls' way!
Annie,

This well is 35 years old (at least), my rig will work unless the casing itself fails lower down. But am still going to work on getting the new well dug; our place is useless without water. Fingers crossed for sure!

OK,
I re did the photos, inside, so the lights not quite right...but the best I can do today...

Manzano without a helmet....yes!
147.JPG

Bhut Y7 choco bhut Douglah
148.JPG

White Bhut
149.JPG

Brainstrain
150.JPG

Giant Yellow 7
151.JPG

JA Hab
152.JPG

TS Moruga bhut
153.JPG

Choc Hab
154.JPG

Peach Bhut
155.JPG

MoA
156.JPG

Okies I need a bump please ;)

Very nice start!! 

I'll be curious to see how white your white bhut's come out. I have one plant that is a light cream-ish yellow(think light eggnogg) and one that is just an off-white. I have a bunch of other plants though so I'm hoping for a paper white one to come out. Is your seed stock from Judy?

Also, good luck with the pubes! 

Devv said:
Annie,

This well is 35 years old (at least), my rig will work unless the casing itself fails lower down. But am still going to work on getting the new well dug; our place is useless without water. Fingers crossed for sure!

OK,
I re did the photos, inside, so the lights not quite right...but the best I can do today...

Manzano without a helmet....yes!
147.JPG

Bhut Y7 choco bhut Douglah
148.JPG

White Bhut
149.JPG

Brainstrain
150.JPG

Giant Yellow 7
151.JPG

JA Hab
152.JPG

TS Moruga bhut
153.JPG

Choc Hab
154.JPG

Peach Bhut
155.JPG

MoA
156.JPG

Okies I need a bump please ;)

More fantastic shots Devv! I especially love the veining on the JA Hab. May be worth breeding out for bonchis depending on the foliage size. 

stickman said:
You got the bump brother!

147.JPG

Very nice!   :woohoo:
Rick,

I'm stoked!

Finally one has arrived! I may have a few others, but I sowed so many I may have lost track. They're marked but I want to see the fuzz! I trimmed the helmet head from the one, and have my fingers crossed, a few days and I'll know. It didn't look like any coties were there to speak of...

Capsicum Select said:
Very nice start!! 

I'll be curious to see how white your white bhut's come out. I have one plant that is a light cream-ish yellow(think light eggnogg) and one that is just an off-white. I have a bunch of other plants though so I'm hoping for a paper white one to come out. Is your seed stock from Judy?

Also, good luck with the pubes! 
Thanks!

I got the seeds from Ramon (Walkgood) his came out really white, don't know where his came from but the powder he made looked like flour. Thanks for stopping by!

maximumcapsicum said:

More fantastic shots Devv! I especially love the veining on the JA Hab. May be worth breeding out for bonchis depending on the foliage size. 
Thanks Adam!

I wish I had the chip in the Cannon, the light was perfect..but these are OK....but lighter in color than the plants really are. The JA Hab is a great pepper, let me know if you need seeds, I have some drying...

So here's the remainder:

Aji Cristal, she's a leggy gal ;)
158.JPG

Bonda
159.JPG

Douglah
160.JPG

Trin Choc Bonnet
161.JPG

Choco Bhut Douglah
162.JPG

Jigsaw
163.JPG

More tomorrow weather permitting....if so the color should be more on track, these shot indoors look bleached...

Thanks stopping by!

Back