• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Devv's 2014- Stick a fork in me, I'm done....

Time for the 2014 start...

Many of these plants were made possible by the generous people of the THP sending me seeds and pods Thanks!

I'm looking forward to warmer weather and dirt day!

I have a bunch of seeds started, and plants at all the stages.

Here's the grow bench, a T8 x4 on top and T5 x4 on the bottom, as you can see it's loaded.

0.JPG

Top rack:
1.JPG

Bottom rack:
2.JPG

I like starting the seeds in Jiffy Pellets, as soon as they stand up I trim the mesh off and plant them 1/2" proud in a pot, or in this case a cup.

Red Rocotto the lonely Pube..
12.JPG

A few plants living under the T5, I'm super impressed with this light!

Choc Hab

4.JPG

Bhut x Y7 x Choc Bhut Douglah-Spicegeist

5.JPG

Bhut x Y7 F2-Spicegeist
6.JPG

Yellow Cardi- Jamie
7.JPG

Choc Scorp-Ramon
8.JPG

Peach Bhut- Annie
9.JPG

Going to do some tilling will post more later

stickman said:

That sounds like a good idea, but you might want to roast and peel them, then remove stems and seeds before freezing... Then all you have to do is thaw, process to a chunky puree together with garlic slices, salt and a splash of white vinegar, then reduce to a spreadable consistency on the stovetop and put up in jars for the winter. It's a lot of work, but so worth it!
Sounds good Rick!

When I have enough to get started I'll get with you on a more definitive recipe. New ground here!

JJJessee said:
Wow! absolute eye-candy. You  both know and do what it takes to make the desert bloom.
^5 that is a stunning work of art.

Pizza looks pretty good too :D
Thanks JJJ!

As you know it's mas fun! And this is a fantastic time of year. ;)

Barley-pop57 said:
Sorry it took me so long to follow your glog.  It is a very impressive grow !!!!  Wish I had that much ground to grow on.  Look forward to updates and pics !!
Thanks!

Hoping for a nice harvest this year, weather seems OK for now to!

maximumcapsicum said:
Thanks for the info Scott! Love the precision with which you've got all this worked out. Your garden is to be emulated. Keep it up!
Thanks Adam!

I see dirt day is a happening your way, woot!
patrick said:
Man oh man I love your garden and homestead Scott. You're a lucky man.
Thanks Patrick!

I have to thank the wife, she tracked this place down 25 years ago. It's always a lot of work, but we love the lifestyle and peace out here.

Thanks for reading ;)

Devv said:
Here's a few more random snaps of plants I neglected to jot the names down of. I confess, I'm a lamer, BUT I do have a rum drink in my hand. As good an excuse as any :shh:

553.JPG

554.JPG

555.JPG

These "should be" a green hornet, a F Reaper, and an IDK LOL

I spent the last couple of hours outside mulching. The original idea was leaves, wet newspaper, and then mulch. It seems there aren't enough hours in a day, so just mulch. I tried sifting it, same thing not enough hours, I wasn't getting anywhere fast.
556.JPG

Thanks for reading!

Damn, Scott you got it going ON dude! Those plants are beauties! Do I see hardwood chips?  :P  :P  :P

windchicken said:

Damn, Scott you got it going ON dude! Those plants are beauties! Do I see hardwood chips?  :P  :P  :P
Thanks Gary!

Yeah you do! And where did I get that idea from?

I scored 24 yds, free from the county lot and am still putting them down. I tilled in about 5 yds, not too much as I was concerned they would suck too much nitrogen. I'm hoping these will melt in over the summer and fall. It seems I have an endless supply as they have a huge mountain at the county site and they are nicely aged. A lot of powder in there!

Edit: Been struggling a bit with plant yellowing, I'm being overly cautious with nutes. But getting more aggressive, going slow is my game until I see the results. My fear is overdoing, can't take them back, but can always add more..

Really fine garden, Scott!   Impressive amount of work in there.  I wish I had a big garden, but it would never look that good.

Shade cloth?  We don't have much need for that up here!

24 yards! NICE! Wow, I'm so jealous!  :party:

Definitely be real vigilant for nitrogen starvation when planting right after tilling in the wood chips. As you're finding, the nutrient balance can be real tricky with fresh chips...

cone9 said:
Really fine garden, Scott!   Impressive amount of work in there.  I wish I had a big garden, but it would never look that good.

Shade cloth?  We don't have much need for that up here!
Thanks Dave!

It's a lot of work but it slowly get there ;)  Shade cloth is a must here with a full sun garden, high temps, and little rain.

windchicken said:
24 yards! NICE! Wow, I'm so jealous!  :party:

Definitely be real vigilant for nitrogen starvation when planting right after tilling in the wood chips. As you're finding, the nutrient balance can be real tricky with fresh chips...
I used to go and shovel it from a small pile they placed out front until I found out they would load it for us. They have a 3yd loader, 2 buckets and I'm on my way. But then I have to hand shovel it to off load. Been wanting to make an attachment to bolt on the tractor to pull the material off as the bucket is too wide for my trailer and truck bed.

I believe I may have a nutrient deficiency this year. I covered the existing soil with 3"s of heavy soil, tilled it and then added 1.5"s of composted manure, and then 1.5's of mulch and tilled that. Then planted the rye and clover which was lightly tilled in. The rye grew nice and dark and I tilled in 2 crops. The other reason may be the potting soil was about spent and they haven't dug the roots into the existing soil that much yet. Which may be the case as the tomatoes like really good. So I'm playing my cards carefully ;)  The heavy top soil was pasteurized, but most likely depleted.

Devv said:
Thanks Dave!

It's a lot of work but it slowly get there ;)  Shade cloth is a must here with a full sun garden, high temps, and little rain.

I used to go and shovel it from a small pile they placed out front until I found out they would load it for us. They have a 3yd loader, 2 buckets and I'm on my way. But then I have to hand shovel it to off load. Been wanting to make an attachment to bolt on the tractor to pull the material off as the bucket is too wide for my trailer and truck bed.

I believe I may have a nutrient deficiency this year. I covered the existing soil with 3"s of heavy soil, tilled it and then added 1.5"s of composted manure, and then 1.5's of mulch and tilled that. Then planted the rye and clover which was lightly tilled in. The rye grew nice and dark and I tilled in 2 crops. The other reason may be the potting soil was about spent and they haven't dug the roots into the existing soil that much yet. Which may be the case as the tomatoes like really good. So I'm playing my cards carefully ;)  The heavy top soil was pasteurized, but most likely depleted.

That sounds like the call to make AACT Scott... time to break out the buckets and air stones!

stickman said:

That sounds like the call to make AACT Scott... time to break out the buckets and air stones!
I've been wanting to, and will, but haven't had the time yet. Things are kind of slowing down, I want to finish mulching this weekend and then get started, and then there's the new raised beds and, and..LOL

5 gals won't get me anywhere fast with all the plants, so I'm going to make a garbage pail full, when the wife's not looking ;)

jedisushi06 said:
after the results i got from aact brewing last year i'm always going to brew my tea.  I foliar feed with it too once a week.  First year i didn't have aphids ever.  Here's a link to some recipes i follow.

http://forum.grasscity.com/introduce-yourself/718389-organic-guano-tea-recipe-spaceship-farmer.html

Thanks Mike!

Bookmarked!

I mulched until every pitchfork full hurt..LOL, getting old, I did put in almost 6 hours today.

Took some pics of the better looking plants. A lot of flowers out there, a few pods, the plants are starting to green up and grow. Hit them with Epsom foliar last night and a foliar application of seaweed extract and Hasta Gro.

Jay's Peach Ghost Scorp putting some buds out.
569.JPG

Choco Bhut Douglah, I had to top this while it was still indoors because it was getting so tall. Now I wish I hadn't.
570.JPG

OW Funky Reaper doing what it does best. I couldn't believe how many pods this plant produced last season, and all summer long. It didn't care about the heat one bit.
571.JPG

Choc Hab flowering.
572.JPG

Mystery perhaps a Jal..
573.JPG

MoA putting on some buds.
574.JPG

Brown 7 Pot, a late start.
575.JPG

John's Funky Reaper. Already wants to flower.
576.JPG

Green Hornet taking off! Another late start.
577.JPG

Jimmy Nardello with pods...
578.JPG

That's 10, don't want the Popo message!

stickman said:
Thanks!

Scotch Bonnet x Indian Red, a late start.
579.JPG

Nagabrain, also a late start.
580.JPG

Bahamian Goat Pepper
581.JPG

In the dirt full sun Manzano, seems quite happy ;)
582.JPG

This is supposed to be an Anaheim, either it's a not or more than likely I mixed up plants. Time will tell.
583.JPG

Datil, next to a volunteer bean plant
584.JPG

Tobago Treasure with pods!
585.JPG

White Bhut coming back and starting to flower.
586.JPG

Camari Do Para with a pod
587.JPG

Manzano in 20 gallon shoes.
588.JPG

Thanks for reading!

Y'know, it's kinda like the cube square law... the bigger something is, the more ungainly it becomes... that includes growing more than 20 different varieties of chiles at the same time too. ;)   We know Scott, we're the same way... :crazy:

Nots are still cool! No sweating that.
Go ahead and start a 5gal bucket of tea when you can. Can start another every three days. Over two weeks can have everything done. I also cut my aact by thirds, so spreads around more.

stickman said:
Y'know, it's kinda like the cube square law... the bigger something is, the more ungainly it becomes... that includes growing more than 20 different varieties of chiles at the same time too. ;)   We know Scott, we're the same way... :crazy:

GA Growhead said:
Nots are still cool! No sweating that.
Go ahead and start a 5gal bucket of tea when you can. Can start another every three days. Over two weeks can have everything done. I also cut my aact by thirds, so spreads around more.

Well the likes Popo's are out for a while.

I know the nots are cool, and I'm bound to have a bunch with OP seeds, just racking my brain because I made a spreadsheet of the trays with a marking for 1-1 which would be top left row 1, down 1. Each seed type added was another trip to the PC so I wouldn't mess it up. As the pellets were removed upon a standing plant I made a marker with a plastic knife and it went into a solo with the knife. I know I have a few mystery's, and I guess a few more nots..LOL

I'm sure some will pop up where you didn't plant them. ;)
I did well till the last 18 plants. Knocked over the tray and a few peat peats rolled. I was able to figure all but 6 for sure by comparing my notes on how many germinated. Those 6 mysteries... I did my best. Will see once in ground and podding. :D

Back