• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Devv's Dirt Grow-Almost done..

Weekend March 2-3:
I’ve been working on the garden for years; it was dormant for a few years (like 10) while I changed careers. The base soil if you want to call it that is sand. I added heavy black dirt to the upper 2/3 years ago; I’ve since added heavy red dirt (clay ) to half of the lower 1/3. For two years straight I’ve added 4”s of compost to the upper 2/3 and this year 4”s to the bottom 1/3. I clean horse pens for the free manure; kitchen waste is added to the compost. Our property is on a slope and heavy rains cause erosion problems. Above the garden the land is heavily terraced to divert water runoff.
Finished concreting the base of the fence, used 22 80lb bags, the Waskily Wabbits should be done, until they find another way in. They have been a real menace! I tried a hot wire system, it was not too effective and killed birds and squirrels; I didn’t like that.

5.jpg

Planted the Onions January 15th, Garlic was planted September 15th. They took a beating with the 30mph winds, 55 mph gusts last Monday.

6.jpg

Tilled and my wife planted corn, cukes, watermelons, bush beans and cantelope.

17.jpg

Bush Beans above

11.jpg

Cukes, and Melons behind the Rosemary above.

Corn below.

14.jpg

I started these the first week of January; I think I got carried away.

1.jpg

The Potatoes, planted February 15th are coming up. I planted then 8”s deep and I keep covering them up, and will do so until the ground is level where planted.

7.jpg

Never ending mulch pile.

9.jpg

Hmmm.. too many images...

I put just a little bit of fresh red bhut on a sandwich yesterday.  The heat was intense, but tolerable (it was a very little bit), but what struck me the most was just how flavorful that little bit was.  I could definitely taste the flavor through all the other sandwich ingredients.

I get hiccups from jalapenos!  I don't alway's from the supers though, strange.  I think the slice you tried was quite brave for previous being cayenne!  The ribs look amazing too!

Crazy rain but I'll take it for sure.  Got 1 1/2 inch today.  It missed us yesterday.

Congrats on tasting a reaper! I always get hiccups big time when I get into the hot stuff, which to be honest takes away from the pleasure quite a bit. My favourite thing it lip burn, and I gravitate to peppers that will make my lips tingle and burn.

capsidadburn said:
I get hiccups from jalapenos!  I don't alway's from the supers though, strange.  I think the slice you tried was quite brave for previous being cayenne!  The ribs look amazing too!

Crazy rain but I'll take it for sure.  Got 1 1/2 inch today.  It missed us yesterday.
The annuums almost always get a few hiccups out of me, but not always with the chinense. :)

Brave one Scott! That one looked :hot:

Pepperhead said:
I got major hiccups with half a Kung pao last year.  I might attempt a whole super pod this year just for cred, but I prefer powdered or sauced to limit my dosage.
If you are looking for cred and you got major hiccups from half a kung pao I would suggest not eating a whole super pod .... ;) unless you want ted barrus type cred/pity :ROFL: ;)

Sawyer said:
I put just a little bit of fresh red bhut on a sandwich yesterday.  The heat was intense, but tolerable (it was a very little bit), but what struck me the most was just how flavorful that little bit was.  I could definitely taste the flavor through all the other sandwich ingredients.

My goal is to at least taste what I grow once. I have no plans right now to eat a whole one, I haven't tried any of these with food because the grasshoppers are decimating them. I figured this would most likely be my last chance until fall. I did have Red Caribbean in an Omlett and on a taco this weekend. It had great a really great taste and desirable burn. The Funky Reaper actually had a more pronounced taste that lasted longer.

capsidadburn said:

As soon as I swallowed the hiccips started, the R&C stopped the hiccups, but not the burn...LOL. Well I think I have my reference point I was looking for! Thanks, the ribs came out great, cooked em @ 225 for 6 hours. No rain yesterday, all went East. We got just shy of .8, I'll take it! Hoping for more today so I don't have to bucket water 35 trees!

Stefan_W said:
Congrats on tasting a reaper! I always get hiccups big time when I get into the hot stuff, which to be honest takes away from the pleasure quite a bit. My favourite thing it lip burn, and I gravitate to peppers that will make my lips tingle and burn.

Thanks Stefan! It was an experience, don't think I'll make a habit of it!

Yeah, the hiccups are no fun, this is the first time I couldn't "will" them to stop.

GA Growhead said:
The annuums almost always get a few hiccups out of me, but not always with the chinense. :)

Brave one Scott! That one looked :hot:

It was hot!, I'm thinking this one is to be reserved for powders and sauces. In the fall when I get more I'll try dicing one and adding to an omelett or a taco and see how it goes. I don't want heat to over power flavor.

Trippa said:
If you are looking for cred and you got major hiccups from half a kung pao I would suggest not eating a whole super pod .... ;) unless you want ted barrus type cred/pity :rofl: ;)

I had to lookup Ted Barrus, nope don't want to go there! Hence a taste, that's all I want. And to know what I grow and whether I want to continue to do so.

Thanks for stopping by!
Pepperhead said:
I got major hiccups with half a Kung pao last year.  I might attempt a whole super pod this year just for cred, but I prefer powdered or sauced to limit my dosage.

Almost missed this one...becareful and start slow with small pieces, glad I did!

Awesome, Scott!  That was a pretty big piece of a super to eat!  When I eat a super, it is usually about a 1/8" x 1/2" (or less) piece.  And that is plenty for me!  But you're right on when you say ya gotta taste everything out of your garden.  Harvests look like they are getting bigger.  Soon, your dehydrator will be running 24/7, stopping only to unload and reload! 

Good on ya for trying a piece of that Reaper Scott! To be honest I don't think I'd wanna try a big piece either, or if I did, it would be with food. I'm not that kind of hero. :)

DocNrock said:
Awesome, Scott!  That was a pretty big piece of a super to eat!  When I eat a super, it is usually about a 1/8" x 1/2" (or less) piece.  And that is plenty for me!  But you're right on when you say ya gotta taste everything out of your garden.  Harvests look like they are getting bigger.  Soon, your dehydrator will be running 24/7, stopping only to unload and reload! 

Thanks Doc, I didn't expect that much heat! It really wasn't that bad, but next try if the grasshoppers lay off will be with food.

stickman said:
Good on ya for trying a piece of that Reaper Scott! To be honest I don't think I'd wanna try a big piece either, or if I did, it would be with food. I'm not that kind of hero. :)

Thanks Rick, No definitely not wanting to be a hero. I guess those who can eat the whole pepper have worked their way up to it, and I'm a long way from that. Glad the small taste wasn't that bad. Funny, my wife kept saying "this should have been videoed, you have the same expression on your face as in the ones you've shown me". I guess Shane said it best "There's no way to look cool doing this" too true!

Congrats on hitting a reaper.  Bigger stones than I.

Love the pictures, those were all awesome.

Those Thai are pepper machines.  I think one pull last year I had 1000 pods off of 4 plants.

Scott thanks again for da seed mon … Have an awesome trip and be safe on your journey ^_^
  • I can’t believe I was 4 pages back, no more trips for me ;) ok so I lied, hahaha
  • Awesome pictures
  • Love that Reaper shot too, it’s great!
  • Super harvest, now comes da work in processing
  • Mon your Red Bhut is much bumpier than mine, I love the look on yours
  • Loved da read on your Reaper review, great job mon!
See ya soon mon and have fun!

Trippa said:
Enjoy your trip. Hope your plants are OK without you
 Thanks Trip!

Bodeen said:
Congrats on hitting a reaper.  Bigger stones than I.

Love the pictures, those were all awesome.

Those Thai are pepper machines.  I think one pull last year I had 1000 pods off of 4 plants.

Thanks Jeff!

I think that will be the last time for a while!

DocNrock said:
Have a great trip!

Thanks Doc!

The trip was a blast!

WalkGood said:
Scott thanks again for da seed mon … Have an awesome trip and be safe on your journey ^_^
  • I can’t believe I was 4 pages back, no more trips for me ;) ok so I lied, hahaha
  • Awesome pictures
  • Love that Reaper shot too, it’s great!
  • Super harvest, now comes da work in processing
  • Mon your Red Bhut is much bumpier than mine, I love the look on yours
  • Loved da read on your Reaper review, great job mon!
See ya soon mon and have fun!
Thanks Ramon!

Glad the seeds got there safely!

I sure have a lot of work to do in the AM!

Just got in about 30 minutes ago, lost one Jal plant that lives in the full sun and didn't have auto-watering. The rest look great!

Tons of ripe peppers on the plants but they have to wait until morning, travel days are not one of my favorite things!

I have quite a bit of catching up to do!

stc3248 said:
Great to have you back Scott! Can't wait to see what's going on down there!

WalkGood said:
Welcome back brethren! Hope you all had a great time :)

GA Growhead said:
Welcome back!

capsidadburn said:
Glad you made it back, Can't believe it was hot!  My kids have yet to experience real cold weather or snow.  Always in the plan to vacation north, just havent made it farther than Missouri.

Thanks all! glad to be back home! I'm one of those who after 3 or 4 days is ready to sleep in my own bed.

I was hot the first two days, I'm not used to the humidity.

Okies...The first thing I did was to remove the soaker hose and separate the container plants. They are alive but a little on the weak side IMHO. I hit them with some nutes and moved them so they can get more sun.

Red Bhut, still no pods
600.jpg

Orange Hab, has some ripe ones on it....
601.jpg

Primo, no pods
602.jpg

JA Habs, flowering but no pods, I don't think I'll see any from any plant until September.
603.jpg

Moruga
604.jpg

Red Caribbean has a few ripe pods..
605.jpg

Reaper, has a few pods still, and looking true!
606.jpg

607.jpg

608.jpg

I need a bump please

Back