• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Devv's Dirt Grow-Almost done..

Weekend March 2-3:
I’ve been working on the garden for years; it was dormant for a few years (like 10) while I changed careers. The base soil if you want to call it that is sand. I added heavy black dirt to the upper 2/3 years ago; I’ve since added heavy red dirt (clay ) to half of the lower 1/3. For two years straight I’ve added 4”s of compost to the upper 2/3 and this year 4”s to the bottom 1/3. I clean horse pens for the free manure; kitchen waste is added to the compost. Our property is on a slope and heavy rains cause erosion problems. Above the garden the land is heavily terraced to divert water runoff.
Finished concreting the base of the fence, used 22 80lb bags, the Waskily Wabbits should be done, until they find another way in. They have been a real menace! I tried a hot wire system, it was not too effective and killed birds and squirrels; I didn’t like that.

5.jpg

Planted the Onions January 15th, Garlic was planted September 15th. They took a beating with the 30mph winds, 55 mph gusts last Monday.

6.jpg

Tilled and my wife planted corn, cukes, watermelons, bush beans and cantelope.

17.jpg

Bush Beans above

11.jpg

Cukes, and Melons behind the Rosemary above.

Corn below.

14.jpg

I started these the first week of January; I think I got carried away.

1.jpg

The Potatoes, planted February 15th are coming up. I planted then 8”s deep and I keep covering them up, and will do so until the ground is level where planted.

7.jpg

Never ending mulch pile.

9.jpg

Hmmm.. too many images...

Holy Leap Frogging Snake Skins.......those are some helluva shots.

That 4ft Jalapeno isn't too shabby either. The annuum varieties  seem to tolerate the direct sun and heat better than the c.chinense.
I like the look of those root pouches, I may have to try a few next season. Scott you still have some of the nicest Reaper plants shown here.
Last week a few of us tried slices from Reapers grown in different local gardens.....the majority of us are still finding the 7 Pot  "Brain"  to be
oilier and hotter...have fun with the rest of your season.

wahlee76 said:
Those snake pics are insane! We don't have snakes over here. Maybe a lost viper, but no way a creature like this. Great (although it gives me the creeps a bit :shh: )
Hi Wally,

This was a good snake, well they're all good as long as you don't get bit by one's that poisonous. Earlier this season we had a Rattlle snake in the garden...I'm much more careful now!

PIC 1 said:
Holy Leap Frogging Snake Skins.......those are some helluva shots.

That 4ft Jalapeno isn't too shabby either. The annuum varieties  seem to tolerate the direct sun and heat better than the c.chinense.
I like the look of those root pouches, I may have to try a few next season. Scott you still have some of the nicest Reaper plants shown here.
Last week a few of us tried slices from Reapers grown in different local gardens.....the majority of us are still finding the 7 Pot  "Brain"  to be
oilier and hotter...have fun with the rest of your season.
Thanks Greg!

For next year I'll get the c.chinense started in Oct. and they should give me what I want before the heat hits. For this season I'm forced to hang in there until they do their thing. About the Reapers, I ate part of a Giant Yellow 7, or it could have been a giant Yellow brain the other night... It actually lit me up more than a Reaper, the heat came on slower but built and just wouldn't quit. The bags really made a difference! Although not pretty effective, and the cost is a big plus!

Edit: Ramon (Walkgood) was kind enough to send me some White Bhut Jolokia seeds, I'll get a pic up soon...Thanks!

stc3248 said:
Wow...that snake reminded me of a story I read a few years back involving a non-native python in FL eating a gater and this shot...
051006_pythoneatsgator.jpg

This is what happens when two unfamiliar apex predators come together. 
photo from here: http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/10/1006_051006_pythoneatsgator.html

Great shots Scott...keep it up!
That's just a crazy pic!

I'm pretty sure I saw that before. I'm just glad neither of those were in my garden for me to take pics of!

So I've been slacking on the glogs this week, instead I've been spreading the fill I ordered. So far I have 6.5 yds spread, being I'm so smart I'm doing this when I get home from work and it's over 95 outside. What really stinks is the part I want to add it to the most is too soft for the tractor, I can't turn with a full bucket. I'm really tempted to cut part of the fence out...

Tomorrow is Friday!

Jungle pic withdrawals here … time of George Scott to update his jungle garden pictures, lol

Wishing you and da family a wonderful weekend :)

WalkGood said:
Jungle pic withdrawals here … time of George Scott to update his jungle garden pictures, lol

Wishing you and da family a wonderful weekend :)
Haha, I will later, just in cooling off. Finished with the dirt, save a 3yd pile for where the peppers are. It's all tilled in and I have a sprinkler on it so I can compress it some with the 4 wheeler. I would hate to see a turd floater wash it all out in the field..

GA Growhead said:
95°F shoveling dirt!
Hope you are surviving, knowing the benefits from all that hard work.
Yeah, it's got to get done! I'm conditioned and know when to come in and cool off, and drink tons of water too!

Gotta go pick some peps!

First off I received this two days ago from Ramon, he's been more than generous spreading pepper love this season. My apologies for not posting this sooner but I've been hauling dirt and in the evenings catching up on phone calls to my family.

Thanks Mon! I really look forward to growing these! The seeds are beautiful!
749.jpg

Well I have no desire to go outside anymore today, shoveled, raked and ran the tractor hauling dirt for close to 5 hours, then picked the garden.
While raking out some top soil I noticed this guy....not a friendly! Second one this year, just a baby but they still can put a hurt on ya if they strike. I chopped it's head off because I have the yard gates open so I can get in and out with the tractor...don't want my dogsters to find the head...which I chunked up on top of the sun shade...
The shovel was no match for it :D
747.jpg

Today's haul...the Funky Reaper is a rocking...and the only hottie doing so. But cooler weather is one the way, I can tell, the mornings have the hint of fall in them and it's taking longer to hit the mid 90's
748.jpg

Overall the peppers are smaller, but I can't blame them...

I really need to get out and takes pics of the jungle, and will in the morning. Kinda spent feeling after spreading 13 yds of dirt the last few days...but AC/DC is jamming and the Shiners are ICE COLD!

Have a great Saturday evening!

• Good to see you got da seed safe and sound, dem white girl pods will keep ya warm at night so get on dem, hahaha
  • Great snake shot, can’t you burry them like we do with fish parts for ferts or will they just attract ants?
  • Awesome harvest, love the colors in the picture ^_^  I too find my peppers smaller than normal this time of year except some of the JA Habs are still nice sizes. So what’s in store for all dem reapers, sauce?
  • Have a great evening and Sunday!

Nice aim!  I was outside weeding today and was thinking, this would be a PERFECT place for a snake to be chillen.  Luckily, no snake on my end but it seems like every time I stop in here you got another snake story!

wahlee76 said:
Nice harvest :P
Pity about the snake, but better be safe. And with AC/DC on :party: everything is good anyway
Thanks Wally!

Yeah, if I see a rattle snake in my yard it goes bye, bye. Out in the pastures I don't care.

WalkGood said:

• Good to see you got da seed safe and sound, dem white girl pods will keep ya warm at night so get on dem, hahaha
  • Thanks again, I'll be planting them in a few weeks, can't wait to see them grow!
  • Great snake shot, can’t you burry them like we do with fish parts for ferts or will they just attract ants?
  • I usually just toss them over the fence, I don't mind snakes, but rattle snakes scare me. One never knows where they will show up around here!
  • Awesome harvest, love the colors in the picture ^_^  I too find my peppers smaller than normal this time of year except some of the JA Habs are still nice sizes. So what’s in store for all dem reapers, sauce?
  • I may just freeze them, LB is getting jealous of all the freezer space the hot sauce is using...it IS her freezer ;)
  • Have a great evening and Sunday!
  • You too!

MGOLD86 said:
Nice aim!  I was outside weeding today and was thinking, this would be a PERFECT place for a snake to be chillen.  Luckily, no snake on my end but it seems like every time I stop in here you got another snake story!
Matt, those rattle snakes scare the heck out of me, even the little ones. Not only are they poisonous, but the venom starts a digestive process on your flesh and does major tissue damage. I saw a show a few years ago about a teacher on a field trip who stopped the vehicle to show the kids a snake on the side of the road, he wound up getting bit on the hand, he was at the hospital within 40 minutes or so. Hand grotesquely swollen, he was in agony. They treated him but the venom destroyed his hand, dissolving the bones in his hand and fingers...

Since Wednesday I've been adding heavy soil to the garden, here's few pics:

I used landscape timbers and string to keep the depth consistent. I laid the flat side of a timber down and filled to the top, working my way though the garden. The new dirt stops by the timber near the Rosemary bush.
756.jpg

752.jpg

753.jpg

It's sticky stuff, look at the tires on the bike...I tilled it in and wet it, then compressed it some. The garden is on a slope, rain is forecast, and if it really rains it would wash down the slope.
754.jpg

This 3yd pile is reserved to go where the peppers are growing.
750.jpg

Jungle shot, not much going on, but they still look happy..
751.jpg

I moved the "bag ladies" to the concrete. It seems some ants found them and have been mining aphids. I can better control the ants when they're on the concrete. The two on the right are JA Habs, and they have caught the others..Pudding got in on the action, 11pds, and she takes on Otis. Funny to see her hanging on his ear...
757.jpg

758.jpg

Enjoy Sunday!

The place looks awesome, great job on the dirt …

I was wondering if building some low rock wall (big stones) would hold back the dirt but allow water to flow thru. Seems to me this would help keep the dirt from eroding down the slope similar to our seawall. Sure it’s does allow some to escape but it’s years before you need to top it off again here.

WalkGood said:

I was wondering if building some low rock wall (big stones) would hold back the dirt but allow water to flow thru. Seems to me this would help keep the dirt from eroding down the slope similar to our seawall. Sure it’s does allow some to escape but it’s years before you need to top it off again here.

Thanks Ramon,

I wanted black dirt (looks better) but this is really heavy stuff.

Funny you should mention the rocks, I just came in from hauling railroad ties to help with erosion. Gonna get back after it soon as I cool down some. Back in the early 90's I was at a tee ball game for the kids and it started thundering and getting dark, once on our road it started pouring. I rained so hard I couldn't see where I was going, had to use the fence on my right to stay on the road. Dropped 4"s in less than 30 minutes; it cut a trench in the garden deep and wide enough for two of me to lay down in. I've since done some heavy duty terracing to redirect the water around the house and garden.

We're way over due for the rains here, I want to be ready when they come. don't wanna see $400 go into the field! I have a good feeling about the rain returning, Mom says it's been raining a lot in Az. where she lives. Hers stopped when mine did, I hope our starts now that hers has...well here I go again...

WalkGood said:

+1 on that... when I worked as a Mason Tender we did a lot of dry-laid stone retaining walls. Once the walls were done we'd put landscaping fabric on the back side, run drain tile if necessary, backfill with crushed stone and more landscaping fabric over top of the crushed stone and topsoil on top of that until it came even with the top of the wall.  Where the ground freezes you have to have the wall footing down 4 feet below ground level so frost won't heave your wall around during the spring thaw. That may not be a problem in your area... ;)

Your place absolutely rocks, my friend! I love the structure you built to keep your babies shaded. 

I can definitely relate to being drained after all of that work. Moving dirt around and making everything level is not easy work, and if the sun is out things get ten times worse. 

Stay safe, and smash a snake for me if you get the chance. 

stickman said:
+1 on that... when I worked as a Mason Tender we did a lot of dry-laid stone retaining walls. Once the walls were done we'd put landscaping fabric on the back side, run drain tile if necessary, backfill with crushed stone and more landscaping fabric over top of the crushed stone and topsoil on top of that until it came even with the top of the wall.  Where the ground freezes you have to have the wall footing down 4 feet below ground level so frost won't heave your wall around during the spring thaw. That may not be a problem in your area... ;)
I'd love a stone wall, been talking about it forever. Just never seem to have the time...or money. For now the railroad ties will have to do. No freezing ground here buddy!

Stefan_W said:
Your place absolutely rocks, my friend! I love the structure you built to keep your babies shaded. 

I can definitely relate to being drained after all of that work. Moving dirt around and making everything level is not easy work, and if the sun is out things get ten times worse. 

Stay safe, and smash a snake for me if you get the chance. 
Thanks Stefan!

Been working on it for just under 25 years, time and money both are the problems when you do it yourself. But I love to stay busy, I feel hard work keeps me young, as long as I don't over do it ;)
Oh yeah, the sun is out! I wear shorts, an unbuttoned long sleeve cotton shirt and a straw hat and pound the water. I also come in when I get hot, cool down and go back out.

Have a great weekend!

Well all my hard work paid off this week, it just rained .6 AND I had puddles in the garden, puddles here....been non existent til now...and this was 20 minutes after the rain stopped. The rest of the land around here soaked up the rain as fast as it could fall.

I'm really hoping this helps my watering woes next year!

Dang, Scott. Words cannot express the admiration I have for your efforts, and the obvious pay-off, of working what many would  consider non-arable land. Geez. Wow. And . . . it worked! Rain didn't flood it out!! :clap: I know you're working hard--that heat and humidity is something one just has to experience to believe . . . and ya working smart too. Thank you for the inspiration!

P.S. nice chop on the rattlesnake

Back