• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

soil Different kinds of soil

I'm doing a little experiment with two plants of C. pubescens (CAP1492). One is in ordinary soil from the supermarket which ordinary people use for their potted plants, and the other in cow-dung or cow-manure that ordinary people mix with their soil to improve it.

All I can say is - i like cows! (Both sprouted 20th december)

vanligko_bloggen.jpg

Ko = Cow

great looking plants at only 34 days...will be interesting to see how the two compare...

Thanks, I've never had plants that looked this good. I use a plastic tub as a growing chamber and the light is 2x15 fluorescens. One "warm-white" and one "cold-white". Don't ask - I don't know what it means, they are different so I assume they would compliment eachother.

Works well so far. I think I'll win the Fatalii-contest with this setup, but don't tell anyone!

There is also a few meters of aluminium foil involved.

MrArboc are you using the foil to reflect light? If so it has been shown that white actually reflects light better.

Great looking seedlings you have there and good luck with the contest, your going to need it!!

Novacastrian said:
MrArboc are you using the foil to reflect light? If so it has been shown that white actually reflects light better.

White might be an option if I ever build a real growbox, for now the foil is the only option.

POTAWIE said:
Looks like the manure you have is quite well aged, or is it just out of a bag stuff?

It is cheap out of the bag stuff, maybe I should have mentioned that:)

How long have they been in the pots? I would be concerned about straight manure, even well composted stuff, might burn the plant. Did they give NPK ratios?

They're sure healthy looking right now. Did the store bought potting soil have fertilizer added?

PrairieChilihead said:
What do you think of sheep manure? "Baa Baa Poo" ... I used that in my garden last Summer and I had a great season.

I think herbivore poo of most any sort is great for gardens! I've never seen sheep poo sold, but I've used horse, cow, chicken, rabbit, worm, and cricket poo at one time or another. I've watered with dirty aquarium water, too, so I suppose I've used fish poo as well. Did they give an NPK ratio for the sheep poo?

Pam said:
I think herbivore poo of most any sort is great for gardens! I've never seen sheep poo sold, but I've used horse, cow, chicken, rabbit, worm, and cricket poo at one time or another. I've watered with dirty aquarium water, too, so I suppose I've used fish poo as well. Did they give an NPK ratio for the sheep poo?

Hey how did the fish water work out? I got a thirty five gallon tank that I am about ready to change.

I have had good results with cow pies. I usually take one dried cow pie and dig a hole foot deep and cover with dirt then place the plant over the top and so far good results. I also have used chicken mini pies and as long as its dried up it works well but not to much I have burnt some up to a crisp the first time using and did notice that the chillis were hotter

Pam said:

you've used cricket but not sheep? hrm, maybe i live in sheep country cuz it's readily available here, but never seen cricket. i thought you were joking at first until i googled it...

Pam said:

I no longer have the info -- it was last Summer, after all. But it was delicious right out of the bag! :lol:

GrumpyBear said:
you've used cricket but not sheep? hrm, maybe i live in sheep country cuz it's readily available here, but never seen cricket. i thought you were joking at first until i googled it...

No, we don't have a lot of sheep in this part of the country, although that's slowly changing. There used to be a guy that came to the Spring Flower Festival who sold garbage bags of cricket poo, though, for about 5 dollars. Sadly he wasn't there last year.

okie joe said:
Hey how did the fish water work out? I got a thirty five gallon tank that I am about ready to change.

I didn't use it exclusively, so it's difficult to say. We have two fish tanks at work, a 50 gallon and a 30 gallon, and I manage the tanks. Once a month I take out about 10 galleons from each tank vacuuming the gravel. When we were under threat of watering restrictions last spring and summer, I drained it into a couple of jerry cans and brought it home.

It didn't hurt anything, but I can't say how much if any it helped.

Pam said:
How long have they been in the pots? I would be concerned about straight manure, even well composted stuff, might burn the plant. Did they give NPK ratios?

:oops: Don't know about NPK. It probably did, but I don't have the original bag left, I just tried this with some of the "bagged manure" I had left since last spring. They have been in those pots 12 days, plants looked interchangeable when I potted them.

Pam said:
They're sure healthy looking right now. Did the store bought potting soil have fertilizer added?

Only thing listed is chicken-poo. It is supposed to be all organic.

I also use water from my aquarium when I clean my tank. Why waste it? Leftover food, feces from the fish, dead parts of waterplants can't be bad, it is also free from chlorine (we don't have muck of that anyway) and has a perfect temperature.

Back