• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Dinsdale - Season 1 : "First Contact"

Hi everybody,

I've started my first "real" hot pepper grow, so I figured I would document it here. It will be a way for me to keep track of what happens along the way, but please feel free to chip in at any time with advice or ideas.

After reading your input in my "Too many strains, how to choose?" thread, I've decided to grow 16 plants in 1 or 2 liter pots in my 3x3 grow tent.

Here's my seedlist. I've already chosen 8 varieties.

Four are in the seedling stage in solo cups:
  • Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion
  • Trinidad Douglah
  • Bahamian Goat
  • Naga Viper
Four are currently germinating in Root Riot cubes:
  • Trinidad Scorpion Moruga Red
  • Bhut Jolokia
  • Habanero Brown
  • Georgia Black

Now I still have to pick eight varieties out of these forty:
  • 7pot SR Strain
  • 7pot Bubblegum Chocolate
  • 7pot White
  • 7pot Congo Chocolate
  • 7pot Infinity
  • Scotch Bonnet MOA
  • Scotch Bonnet Brown
  • Habanero Guadalupe
  • Habanero Gambia
  • Habanero Cristina
  • Habanero Ivory
  • Habanero Peach
  • Chocolate Bhut Jolokia
  • Chocolate Reaper
  • Naga Morich
  • King Naga
  • White Naga
  • Trinidad Scorpion Butch T
  • Primo X Butch T
  • Guadalupe Black
  • Ecuadorian Brown
  • Peruvian Long Brown
  • Puerto Rican Yellow
  • Brazilian Starfish
  • Fatalii White
  • Snow White
  • Royal Gold
  • Devil´s Tongue Red
  • Big Bang Red
  • Aji Panca Lima
  • Lima Blanca
  • Yaki Blue Fawn
  • Pimenta da Neyde
  • Bonda Ma Jacque
  • Orange Lantern
  • CGN 21566
  • CGN 23209
  • CGN 23258
  • PI 159236
  • Brown Rocoto

What are your favorite varieties in this list? What would you choose?

Thanks for your attention!  :cheers:

I think I've made my choice. The eight additional varieties are going to be:
  • 7Pot White
  • 7Pot SR
  • Scotch Bonnet MOA
  • Brazilian Starfish
  • Bonda Ma Jacques
  • Habanero Gambia
  • Yaki Blue Fawn
  • Lima Blanca

Any specific advice on how to grow these varieties?

The older seedlings seem healthy so far.

QLDbFFN.jpg

Bonda ma jacques likes a little shade sometimes, so do not put it somewhere where it is full sun all the time without no shade time during the day. So put it near a big tree or something, where it will have some shade during the day or use some other means to create that shade.

Chilidude said:
Bonda ma jacques likes a little shade sometimes, so do not put it somewhere where it is full sun all the time without no shade time during the day. So put it near a big tree or something, where it will have some shade during the day or use some other means to create that shade.

Thanks for the advice! I guess I'll have to figure something out, because my "sun" is gonna be up 16 hours all day every day in my tent ;)

Dinsdale said:

Thanks for the advice! I guess I'll have to figure something out, because my "sun" is gonna be up 16 hours all day every day in my tent ;)

Your sun is not bright enough to warrant the use of any shade during those 16 hours. ;)

Here is a tip for you:
You can use a suitable size nail clipper to cut some of the outer edges off from the dry seed husks, if you notice the seedling have trouble dropping that thing off. This way the seedling will drop off the dry seed husk on it's own very easy and there is no danger of you pulling the leaves off with it.

This kind of damage i am talking about:
post-14209-0-25330300-1517418811.jpg

And this is me prevending that kind of damage from happening:
IMG_20180204_1031401.jpg

My small Locato seedling had real trouble of dropping the dry seed husk on it's own, so i helped it by cutting off the outer edges. Now the pressure created by the growing seedling leaves will split that dry seed husk right off without any damage. Have done this many times before and it works like magic. :party:

Chilidude said:

Your sun is not bright enough to warrant the use of any shade during those 16 hours. ;)

Well, it depends on the distance. If the light is 12 inches or closer, it provides more light than a full sunlight.

Chilidude said:
Here is a tip for you:
You can use a suitable size nail clipper to cut some of the outer edges off from the dry seed husks, if you notice the seedling have trouble dropping that thing off. This way the seedling will drop off the dry seed husk on it's own very easy and there is no danger of you pulling the leaves off with it.

Thanks a lot for the excellent tip! I'll try that next time!

Dinsdale said:
Thanks a lot for the excellent tip! I'll try that next time!

Dont mention it, because it is in my nature to help people in need and cant help myself, because it makes me feel good.. :woohoo:

NeedsWork said:
Looking good!  Plants look happy and healthy.  Lots of flowers.  You certainly filled up that 3x3!    :onfire:

Thanks! There's also quite a lot of pods but they're kinda hard to spot on the pictures because they're all still green.

Chilidude said:
And check those suspension hooks, you dont want the same to happen to you, that happened to me. My suspension hook failed under a year.

The tent is rated at 50kg and the hanger I use is rated at 24kg, so I should be good. 

Masher said:
Looking great in there

Thank you! I'm still new to pepper growing but so far so good.

Dinsdale said:

Thanks! There's also quite a lot of pods but they're kinda hard to spot on the pictures because they're all still green.

The tent is rated at 50kg and the hanger I use is rated at 24kg, so I should be good. 

Thank you! I'm still new to pepper growing but so far so good.

Those new hooks they use in my tent should be rated at 10kg a piece and the roof can support up to 30kg, so i should be good to go also with my growroom. I can almost hang from the roof with my weight of 87kg.

So far, my germination rate is ten out of ten seeds.
The fastest was the Lima Blanca which germinated in 3 days.
The slowest was the Bhut Jolokia which germinated in 14 days.

One of the seedlings is starting to yellow a little bit (the Trinidad Douglah), so I'm giving nutes from now on (NPK 7-2-5).
Note that the yellowing seems worse on the picture than in real life, so I'm really not worried about it at this point.

The Lima Blanca seedling is fast, but a bit more leggy than the others.

I've got a taproot on the 7Pot White, so I put it in soil in its own solo cup.

There's now six seeds left in paper towels.

Pj4WjXd.jpg

The Scotch Bonnet MoA and the Yaki Blue Fawn germinated today and were put in soil into a solo cup.

There's four seeds left in paper towel: 7Pot SR, Brazilian Starfish, Bonda Ma Jacques and Habanero Gambia (they're all at day 10).

Back