• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Dinsdale - Season 1 : "First Contact"

Hi everybody,

I've started my first "real" hot pepper grow, so I figured I would document it here. It will be a way for me to keep track of what happens along the way, but please feel free to chip in at any time with advice or ideas.

After reading your input in my "Too many strains, how to choose?" thread, I've decided to grow 16 plants in 1 or 2 liter pots in my 3x3 grow tent.

Here's my seedlist. I've already chosen 8 varieties.

Four are in the seedling stage in solo cups:
  • Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion
  • Trinidad Douglah
  • Bahamian Goat
  • Naga Viper
Four are currently germinating in Root Riot cubes:
  • Trinidad Scorpion Moruga Red
  • Bhut Jolokia
  • Habanero Brown
  • Georgia Black

Now I still have to pick eight varieties out of these forty:
  • 7pot SR Strain
  • 7pot Bubblegum Chocolate
  • 7pot White
  • 7pot Congo Chocolate
  • 7pot Infinity
  • Scotch Bonnet MOA
  • Scotch Bonnet Brown
  • Habanero Guadalupe
  • Habanero Gambia
  • Habanero Cristina
  • Habanero Ivory
  • Habanero Peach
  • Chocolate Bhut Jolokia
  • Chocolate Reaper
  • Naga Morich
  • King Naga
  • White Naga
  • Trinidad Scorpion Butch T
  • Primo X Butch T
  • Guadalupe Black
  • Ecuadorian Brown
  • Peruvian Long Brown
  • Puerto Rican Yellow
  • Brazilian Starfish
  • Fatalii White
  • Snow White
  • Royal Gold
  • Devil´s Tongue Red
  • Big Bang Red
  • Aji Panca Lima
  • Lima Blanca
  • Yaki Blue Fawn
  • Pimenta da Neyde
  • Bonda Ma Jacque
  • Orange Lantern
  • CGN 21566
  • CGN 23209
  • CGN 23258
  • PI 159236
  • Brown Rocoto

What are your favorite varieties in this list? What would you choose?

Thanks for your attention!  :cheers:

My previous batch of plants is finally ripening.

This is a variety called "Lemon Chili", a yellow annuum. I bought the seeds at a local gardening store.

q7UFUAo.jpg

TrentL said:
Looking great! The fertilizer help the ones that were yellowing? 

I'm not sure. I didn't change anything in the past weeks. I give them "bloom" fertilizer (NPK 2-7-4) since the first flower buds about seven or eight weeks ago.

Chilidude said:
Those looks awful similar to a golden cayenne.

Yes, that's what I'm thinking. So far, the color is more golden than "lemon".
The thing is, about half of these pods are growing upward, and I think Golden Cayenne pods are supposed to grow downward. So I'm not really sure.

Brazilian Starfish, Bonda Ma Jacques and Habanero Gambia are all showing a taproot and are going into their solo cups later today.
Out of the 17 seeds I started, the 7Pot SR is the only one that has not germinated yet.
These seeds from Semillas La Palma have an awesome germination rate!  :dance: 

Dinsdale said:
Brazilian Starfish, Bonda Ma Jacques and Habanero Gambia are all showing a taproot and are going into their solo cups later today.
Out of the 17 seeds I started, the 7Pot SR is the only one that has not germinated yet.
These seeds from Semillas La Palma have an awesome germination rate!  :dance: 

Semillas la palma is my go-to place for seeds.

Here are the young ones.
Right now, we have 10 seedlings, 4 hooks (top right), 2 taproots without a hook yet (bottom right) and one ungerminated seed (far right).

I really need to get 2-litre pots, so I can start transplanting the bigger ones.

gOtBVFR.jpg

Here's a close up of the Yaki Blue Fawn.
Pink hook! That's pretty cool.

Fdpzxid.jpg

The latest family picture:
  • 14 seedlings (two of them wearing a helmet)
  • 2 germinated seeds (waiting for a hook)
  • 1 seed still in paper towel (no signs of activity)

KYLHAjS.jpg

The seedlings seem to love the 125W COB LED light. It's almost 3 feet away, but it manages to keep the seedlings short and compact. Here's a close up of the JPGS seedling: It's 3 inches tall and its thick stem has 6-7 nodes. And it's branching a bit already.

wwVGhAi.jpg

Also, the Scotch Bonnet MoA has three cotelydon leaves. Another first for me!  :party:

Bj50vY5.jpg

TrentL said:
Looking great! The fertilizer help the ones that were yellowing? 

Re-reading this thread, I just realized you were talking about the seedlings from the other day, not the ripening pods! :)

Yes, it looks like the fertilizer fixed the problem. The yellowing leaves didn't get worse and the new leaves look greener and healthier.

Sorry about the misunderstanding!

The 7Pot SR seed seems to be a dud. Still no taproot and the center of the seed is turning darker.
So this variety loses its spot in the current grow. I'll try again in a few months, with the next batch of plants.
In the meantime, it will be replaced in the tent by a somewhat similar variety: Primo x Butch T.

Good call, Chilidude!
I think you were right, these are Golden Cayenne. Everything matches: Color, shape, size, skin texture, taste, heat.

9RlR6Ta.jpg

Here's one of the Corno Di Bue Rosso sweet peppers, with its large pods.
I guess I have a weird pheno here, because almost all the pods from this one plant have this cool looking kind of bend, as opposed to the "unbent" pod on the right. I think I'll save seeds from this one. I highly doubt the next generation will display this trait, but who knows?

8bGcPKG.jpg

My older Cayenne is full of fruits, but no signs of ripening yet.

mNQ7CSe.jpg

The youngest seedlings are now growing their first set of true leaves.
The Yaki Blue Fawn is showing blue-ish cotelydon leaves. I can't wait to see how this one turns out!

oEW3jD0.jpg

Back