• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Dinsdale - Season 1 : "First Contact"

Hi everybody,

I've started my first "real" hot pepper grow, so I figured I would document it here. It will be a way for me to keep track of what happens along the way, but please feel free to chip in at any time with advice or ideas.

After reading your input in my "Too many strains, how to choose?" thread, I've decided to grow 16 plants in 1 or 2 liter pots in my 3x3 grow tent.

Here's my seedlist. I've already chosen 8 varieties.

Four are in the seedling stage in solo cups:
  • Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion
  • Trinidad Douglah
  • Bahamian Goat
  • Naga Viper
Four are currently germinating in Root Riot cubes:
  • Trinidad Scorpion Moruga Red
  • Bhut Jolokia
  • Habanero Brown
  • Georgia Black

Now I still have to pick eight varieties out of these forty:
  • 7pot SR Strain
  • 7pot Bubblegum Chocolate
  • 7pot White
  • 7pot Congo Chocolate
  • 7pot Infinity
  • Scotch Bonnet MOA
  • Scotch Bonnet Brown
  • Habanero Guadalupe
  • Habanero Gambia
  • Habanero Cristina
  • Habanero Ivory
  • Habanero Peach
  • Chocolate Bhut Jolokia
  • Chocolate Reaper
  • Naga Morich
  • King Naga
  • White Naga
  • Trinidad Scorpion Butch T
  • Primo X Butch T
  • Guadalupe Black
  • Ecuadorian Brown
  • Peruvian Long Brown
  • Puerto Rican Yellow
  • Brazilian Starfish
  • Fatalii White
  • Snow White
  • Royal Gold
  • Devil´s Tongue Red
  • Big Bang Red
  • Aji Panca Lima
  • Lima Blanca
  • Yaki Blue Fawn
  • Pimenta da Neyde
  • Bonda Ma Jacque
  • Orange Lantern
  • CGN 21566
  • CGN 23209
  • CGN 23258
  • PI 159236
  • Brown Rocoto

What are your favorite varieties in this list? What would you choose?

Thanks for your attention!  :cheers:

Cayenne family picture.
The two Cayennes on the left and the Golden Cayenne on the right.

TNdUugG.jpg

Here's the Corno Di Bue Rosso "standard pheno". Big fruits on a small plant.

H6FjyWk.jpg

Dinsdale said:
Cayenne family picture.
The two Cayennes on the left and the Golden Cayenne on the right.

TNdUugG.jpg

Here's the Corno Di Bue Rosso "standard pheno". Big fruits on a small plant.

H6FjyWk.jpg

Beautiful indoor plants!! Congrats bud, those look excellent!!

Happy growing and harvest, very exciting for you!! 

Here's a close up of my first harvested Golden Cayenne pod.
It tastes (and smells) pretty sweet, almost fruity (with hints of orange, maybe mango).
Heat is quite nice, probably a bit hotter than a regular red Cayenne. Heat comes gradually after a few seconds and lingers for quite a bit on the back of the tongue.
There's a bunch of seeds (which I'll save and giveaway, if someone's interested) and the placenta runs the whole length of the fruit.

Let's just say I'm very happy with the result. My first try could have gone way worse!

aPp9usY.jpg

DDWPFqE.jpg

Masher said:
Beautiful indoor plants!! Congrats bud, those look excellent!!

Happy growing and harvest, very exciting for you!! 

Thank you very much!
Working with limited space can be challenging at times, but it can be very rewarding come harvest time.  :woohoo:

Wow, that is impressive. Yield looks rather optimal. My tent looks like a jungle with the occasional fruit.. humidity for chinense and too much root potential I think.

What do the golden cayenne taste like? Not only "hot" I hope? (Am getting a few purple currently).

chelicerae said:
Wow, that is impressive. Yield looks rather optimal. My tent looks like a jungle with the occasional fruit.. humidity for chinense and too much root potential I think.

What do the golden cayenne taste like? Not only "hot" I hope? (Am getting a few purple currently).

Thanks a lot! I couldn't have hoped for a better outcome, considering the limited space in my tent, the low wattage of my grow light and the fact it's my very first run with peppers.

Like I said above, the Golden Cayenne tastes pretty sweet, with hints of orange and maybe mango or something. My wife says there's also a lemongrass flavor to it. It seems a bit hotter than a regular red Cayenne, but it's really not overwhelming.

Chilidude said:

I was looking at the pictures and your chilis look like they have run out of nutrients in the soil mix for optimal growing and producing pods.

The soil mix is light but I give them plenty of nutrients.
I think the main limiting factor here is clearly pot size.

Dinsdale said:
The soil mix is light but I give them plenty of nutrients.
I think the main limiting factor here is clearly pot size.

Pot size look ok to me, but are you giving them mild fertilizer mixture with every watering session?

Chilidude said:

Pot size look ok to me, but are you giving them mild fertilizer mixture with every watering session?

The pots are between 2 litres and 3.5 litres, which is pretty small from what I've read. And my next batch (the current seedlings) is gonna grow in even smaller pots (1.5 litre pots).
I give them NPK 7-2-5 during vegetative growth and I switch to NPK 2-7-4 when the first flowers appear, with every watering and at 2/3 of the maximum recommended dosage.

Dinsdale said:

The pots are between 2 litres and 3.5 litres, which is pretty small from what I've read. And my next batch (the current seedlings) is gonna grow in even smaller pots (1.5 litre pots).
I give them NPK 7-2-5 during vegetative growth and I switch to NPK 2-7-4 when the first flowers appear, with every watering and at 2/3 of the maximum recommended dosage.

Then they are pretty small for adult plants, the cheap way is to buy 6-10 litre plastic buckets and drill huge holes in the center portion of the bottom.

Chilidude said:

Then they are pretty small for adult plants, the cheap way is to buy 6-10 litre plastic buckets and drill huge holes in the center portion of the bottom.

My goal for now is precisely to keep the plants small, so I can grow as many varieties as possible in my tent. With my current seedlings batch, I'm aiming at 16 varieties in my 3'x3' tent. Then, when I know which varieties I like the most, I'll grow fewer but bigger plants.

Dinsdale said:

My goal for now is precisely to keep the plants small, so I can grow as many varieties as possible in my tent. With my current seedlings batch, I'm aiming at 16 varieties in my 3'x3' tent. Then, when I know which varieties I like the most, I'll use bigger pots to grow fewer but bigger plants.
My goal for now is to keep the plants small, so I can grow as many varieties as possible in my tent. With my current seedlings batch, I'm aiming at 16 varieties in my 3'x3' tent. Then, when I know which varieties I like the most, I'll grow fewer but bigger plants.

It is much better idea to grow fewer bigger plants indoor with limited space, than to grow plenty of smaller plants that starts to fight for nutrition/light when they grow bigger and in the end you will get very poor harvest with the second choice.

Trust me i have done the same mistake and it will never end well.

Chilidude said:

It is much better idea to grow fewer bigger plants indoor with limited space, than to grow plenty of smaller plants that starts to fight for nutrition/light when they grow bigger and in the end you will get very poor harvest with the second choice.

Trust me i have done the same mistake and it will never end well.

I know. That's okay, because like I said I'm not looking for big yields right now. My goal is just to get a few pods per plant. I want to taste as many varieties as possible so I can decide what my favorites are and then I'll grow these in bigger pots. And so far, it seems to work pretty well for me.

Dinsdale said:

I know. That's okay, because like I said I'm not looking for big yields right now. My goal is just to get a few pods per plant. I want to taste as many varieties as possible so I can decide what my favorites are and then I'll grow these in bigger pots. And so far, it seems to work pretty well for me.

I can already pick good tasty varieties to grow in your growroom in the list, as i have grown few of those in your list already in my growing career and tasted them too.

Back