• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

DIY heatpads

New to the seed starting game. Any of you "pros" have ideas on making your own heat pads. Water bed heaters are as expensive as seed starter pads, wary of drugstore type heat pads. I'm thinking about water pipe heater tape that I would attach to plywood and then set my starter trays on. Cost is about $22 at home depot for a 6' tape. Something that I did not see mentioned in researching past posts on this topic; the importance of using shock protecting ground fault outlets. The grow area of my basement under construction has a dedicated 20 amp line with a ground fault breaker has well as gfci oulets. Just my two cents. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Why try to reinvent the wheel? If you are serious about making a heating surface you will need instruments to test its operation that cost more than any heating pad.

Standard heating pad with control from Wally's is less than $10 and works fine.

willard3 said:
Standard heating pad with control from Wally's is less than $10 and works fine.

Agreed. Just be sure it doesn't have an automatic shut-off.

Been there - done that.:oops:

O.K. I get it! Will be ordering my very own seed prop. mat. One question though, is a thermostat necessary? The prop. area will be in the basement about 8' away from the furnance. 65 degrees or better even before grow lights.

you want as close to a constant 86F (30C) as you can get...temps above 90 will cause a decrease in germination rate and above 95 the rate becomes almost nil...the germination percent decreases also as the temperature gets lower but not as drastic a drop off for high temps...what I have found is that the 86F constant is the best for what I have grown (mostly chinense and annuums)...so I would say yes to the thermostat...I think some of the seed propagation mats already have thermostats on them...

Gro-mat($44)from Greenhousemegastore.com says it has a thermo. Decent mat? Any other U.S. sources or recomendations? Jeez, this is starting to get expensive; I sure hope this seed starting thing works. Thanks for the help.

man, if I were you, I would just opt for a cheap heating pad from Wally world like willard suggested...less than 10 bucks vs 44....

depending on how may seeds you are planning on starting, if you are mechanically inclined in any way, you could build one from scratch for I bet less than 40 bucks...and even cheaper if you can use a cardboard box...personally, I am afraid of using the cardboard box method for starting seeds because of the fire hazard it brings with it...

a simple closed area 2' X 2' square and 4' long, two shoplights and bulbs, a little exhaust fan, two ceramic lighting fixtures with 100 or 150 watt halogen bulbs for heat and some wire is all it would take...you can control your temperature with a cheap house thermostat from home depot..forgot to say this will be big enough for 4 72 cell seed starting trays so that is 288 seeds at a time...my germinator has two identical chambers like the one I just described

the thermostat in my big grow box cost 5 bucks at home depot...two years ago

Depends on how many seedlings you intend to start.

If it's just a few, you can probably find a spot around the house that maintains a consistent 85 degrees. The satellite receiver I have is a nice spot to start a few seeds...when the container is raised to allow proper ventilation of the receiver.

If you plan to start a lot of seedlings a heated germination bed isn't expensive, IMHO.

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/sanders92.html

http://www.territorialseed.com/product/5424/168

~DiggingDog

Duuh! Walmart. Of course, brain freeze moment. TY. Understand the germination box, grow mat, and grow stand concepts.
I'm a little confused, help me understand the procedure better.
1. If seeds are germinated in a grow box, At what point of development does one transfer to a grow stand?
2. Do you still need a grow mat if started in germ. box?
3. Germinated seedlings in the cell starting trays; do you leave them in these trays or transfer them over to larger containers. Observing the various pictures on the forums seems to indicate that the plants are transferred to larger containers.
4. Do folks use clear plastic tray covers? I understand the benefits (heat, moisture retention) but also think it would increase the risk of "cooking" tender seedlings.
I was intially thinking about starting two seed trays. However, things are being ratched up exponetially. Thanks to all for the help in this quest.

MIPEPPERGUY said:
1. If seeds are germinated in a grow box, At what point of development does one transfer to a grow stand?

once they get large enough to transplant...usually somewhere around 6-8 true leaves...

MIPEPPERGUY said:

depends on how close to 86F (30C) your box is...

MIPEPPERGUY said:
3. Germinated seedlings in the cell starting trays; do you leave them in these trays or transfer them over to larger containers. Observing the various pictures on the forums seems to indicate that the plants are transferred to larger containers

I transplant to 3" square containers that are about 3" deep for my first transplant...you want to develop a good root ball...from what I have found is that you can transplant from germination tray to 3" container until plantout, then transplant to 5 gallon containers...the jury is still out on an intermediate step of like going to a 3 then a five...I may have to try going from a 3 to a 7 this year....

MIPEPPERGUY said:
4. Do folks use clear plastic tray covers? I understand the benefits (heat, moisture retention) but also think it would increase the risk of "cooking" tender seedlings.

I don't like them because of the moisture retention...which is I suppose what they were designed for...but I used them when I first started and got a lot of mold/fungus on top of the soil and experienced some damping off...you have to remember that warm temperatures and wet/soggy soil = root rot in my experience...I want my soil damp but not wet so I use a mister when I water them.....

MIPEPPERGUY said:
I was intially thinking about starting two seed trays. However, things are being ratched up exponetially. Thanks to all for the help in this quest.

That's the way I started 10 years ago...just a few seeds in a couple of trays and now it is up to about 30-40 72 cell trays a year...there's no telling how many others start

welcome to the wonderful obsession...

Here's my take
MIPEPPERGUY said:
After germination you don't need much heat, just place plants close to light so they don't get leggy
Just make sure your germinating area is warm enough
3. Germinated seedlings in the cell starting trays; do you leave them in these trays or transfer them over to larger containers. Observing the various pictures on the forums seems to indicate that the plants are transferred to larger containers.
Pot them up as needed
Plastic covers are good for germination but after that they don't need the heat and the humidity can cause problems

I often skip the whole germination setup and just use the paper towel method which takes up next to no room and all you need is a small warm spot, a paper towel, and a baggie.
Good luck

Back