• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

diy light stand

First off, not sure if this belongs here or in grow tech so feel free to correct me.

So I just bought the 4' 2 bulb t8 shoplight along with 2 Phillips 32w 6500k bulbs. I've been looking at stand ideas all day, and landed on the common 1.5" pvc frame. Basically a top support, a leg on either side, then supporting feet for each leg.
I have a stick of 3/4" pvc in the garage, so I'm wondering if I can use that.

The specs say the fixture is 7lbs, plus bulbs. So altogether less than 10lbs over 4'. The 3/4" is definitely more flimsy, but would it be strong enough to support this weight?
I would just attach the fixture to the stick and hold it up to test, but don't want to risk it.
I have no problem spending 20 in materials, but all savings are good savings!

I'm using 3/4" but my setup is a little different.  I have a base that's a rectangle which connects to another rectangle above using 2 pipes on each side and the light hangs from above and sticks out on both sides.  It's convenient because it can sit on the table, but if you're looking for something to sit on the ground your idea would work just as well provided you have enough chain for the lights.  I saw a similar one to yours that uses 1" and I really can't imaging the difference being important as long as the feet are long enough so it doesn't tip over.  If you want some security you could screw the pipes into the fittings.  I used self tapping screws meant for sheet metal and they worked just fine.

I like your idea, do you have pics? And maybe a cut list? I'm not so much worried about tipping, more about the top support snapping

vnQowla.jpg

C3YGObQ.jpg

Hope those pictures work, still getting used to imgur.  I couldn't find a tape measure but I think the top was a few inches shorter in both dimensions compared to the bottom.

Also sorry I didn't expect them to be so huge I took them with my phone

juanitos said:
Great links, thank you!

Suezotiger said:
vnQowla.jpg

C3YGObQ.jpg

Hope those pictures work, still getting used to imgur.  I couldn't find a tape measure but I think the top was a few inches shorter in both dimensions compared to the bottom.

Also sorry I didn't expect them to be so huge I took them with my phone
I like that frame, allows room for a second ballast which.. I mean come on, I'm starting 15 varieties from seed in my first year, lighting will definitely be added as time goes on. And it looks sturdy with no bow or bend in it like I imagined with 3/4". I guess it's all in the weight distribution points. Thank you both!

No problem.  This is my first year growing from seed too.  Feels good to have so many people here that can help and that also can use help.

Also I found my tape measure.  Below is what I came up with for the frame.

2x16"
2x12"
4x2"

Bottom

2x16"
2x21"
4x6"

4x30" to connect top and bottom

8 T connectors
8 corners

I hope the pictures are good enough to see the general assembly.  The screws are optional but I wanted to add them when I put on the second light.  This setup can support 2 lights all the way up to the top, and you could always make the 12" and 21" pieces longer to get more space.  Also the height is probably overkill, as there's a good 2 feet more I could raise the lights currently over Solo cups.  If you have any questions regarding assembly specifics just let me know.

Buy a used IKEA shelf for 5 bucks. Mount some ropes or chains on the top shelf to hoist the fixture so that you can adjust the hight according to your plant growth. It will also give you a bit more space (for a propagator, nutes, tools etc).

MeatHead1313 said:
I made one similar to this for my lights this year, though instead of 18 inch legs I made mine 3 foot. Have a 4 ft 4 bulb t5ho fixture hanging off it with no problems. I used 1 inch pvc, as my local Lowes was out of 3/4 inch when I went.
http://extension.umd.edu/growit/food-gardening-101/pvc-light-stand
Yep this is the one I was originally referring to, thanks for posting the link.
Why the 3ft legs though? You're in a good spot for grow season, so it's not like you need the plants to get to 3ft inside. Or am I missing something completely

twilliams386 said:
Yep this is the one I was originally referring to, thanks for posting the link.
Why the 3ft legs though? You're in a good spot for grow season, so it's not like you need the plants to get to 3ft inside. Or am I missing something completely
I went with 3 foot legs as a just in case I need the extra room measure, and also as I'm thinking of trying to grow lettuce and kale indoors during summer, either in pots or hydro so will need the extra room for that as well.

Back