• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification.

DIY Rockwool Slab drip setup. HELP!?!

Hey I'm just getting started out and have a batch of seeds on order. Is the system setup designed to grow out the seeds only or to grow the plants entirely. I was very intrigued to see your setup and may consider doing something similar on my patio mainly because I already have ALL the items on your list with the exception of the rock wool and chemicals. Since I'm a big aquarium fan I have 2 40 gallon empty tanks sitting on the patio a few filters, diffusers, lights you name it I got it! It would just be a matter of putting them together and setting it up.

LGHT said:
Hey I'm just getting started out and have a batch of seeds on order. Is the system setup designed to grow out the seeds only or to grow the plants entirely. I was very intrigued to see your setup and may consider doing something similar on my patio mainly because I already have ALL the items on your list with the exception of the rock wool and chemicals. Since I'm a big aquarium fan I have 2 40 gallon empty tanks sitting on the patio a few filters, diffusers, lights you name it I got it! It would just be a matter of putting them together and setting it up.

You will want to light-proof the aquariums somehow. Or just buy a cheap, 31 gallon rubbermaid container that is dark blue or dark green for approx $13 bucks. Translucent containers full of nutrient solution quickly turn into bright green containers full of algae.

And yeah, they are for growing mature plants. Slab systems are used frequently in commercial greenhouses for raising large plants like tomatoes or peppers.

Good luck with that though man, and definitely keep us posted. I

Thanks for the tips. Good point on the algae issue. I could probably put some of the heavy tint over the tank so sun wouldn't get in. Do you leave the system running 24/7 or just when the sun is out then shut it off? Setting up the system would be pretty easy, but I just never ran one before so not sure how they are suppose to work.

This system is good from seed, you put your seed in a macro plug, or rockwool cube, when the roots push through you add it to the 4x4" block, then you add the block on top of the slab. You would have germinate the seed indoors untill it's large enough to be hardened off. then you can just "Plug" that into the larger rockwool.

Germinate seeds in these
21011_RW_macro_plugs.jpg

then Plug them into these
30546_rw_blocks.jpg

then rest those on top of these
ss357.jpg

CIMG5614.jpg

More information on Rockwool here...
http://www.fatalii.net/growing/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=84&Itemid=52

Do you leave the system running 24/7 or just when the sun is out then shut it off?

just 4 quick runs a day. the water will take an hour to drip out. So 15 minutes(or less if I could) to fill the reservoir every 4 hours and off at night.

I could probably put some of the heavy tint over the tank so sun wouldn't get in.

Or just paint it flat white with spray paint on the outside. you can always scrape it off with a razor if you're patient enough lol.

I got 14 gallon roughneck rubbermaids for $6.50 a piece including lids at walmart

Oxygen in the nutrient helps with plant growth and pathogen control in the nutrient.

It takes the same amount of power to pump the same amount of water uphill....there's no power advantage to the reservoir that you can't overcome with a timer.

running a pump for 1 hour a day vs 4 hours a day uses less power. Unless you are using 4x the power of course. The reservoir is just above where the leach tray is so the pump doesnt have to work much harder to get it up there. Also If I went directly onto the rockwool I'd have to reduce the flow of the pump (to prevent overflow and not make it ebb/flo) which adds stress to the motor and if anything will make it work harder using more power. If I want to add more trays all I have to do is add bigger tubs for 10$ a piece. If i ran the pump directly into the trays it would be much harder to rig up a drip system that evenly distributed the water.

Here's a quick video of a mock up.

Notes:
- will only be used outside
- clear hoses will be covered so light wont get in
- this is not the stand I will be using so I didnt get too specific with the hose sizes. When I put it in it's resting place I might even hard plumb it with pvc. I will be using pvc tables that i have from old lawn furniture.

http://s247.photobucket.com/albums/gg160/thedarkstep/?action=view&current=RockwoolGravity_0002.flv

Pump hp is the product of flow and pressure. Increase in head (lift) will increase HP, decrease in flow will decrease HP.

Use a pump bypass to control pump output or buy a smaller pump.

You are making a simple fluids problem complicated by the addition of a reservoir.

a smaller pump would resrict the potential for expansion imo
I'm not a plumber and that's what makes this DIY. I don't know what a pump bypass is. Can this be achieved without a reservoir in a smaller space. It's possible, but I achieved the same thing with a few hoses for less than 15$ (cost of tub,hoses,plumbing parts). And it's fun to watch nature do the work as an added bonus

oh and dont get me wrong Willard, I'm glad you're posting on here. I welcome any help/criticism. I think understand what you're saying generally, but I don't understand how it's any more efficient. Unless space is an issue which it's not.

Pump bypass would be where your pipe/tube connected to the pumps output would have a "T" in it, that drains back into the reservoir. This allows the pump to run optimally yet allows you to determine how much water/pressure/flow/whatever makes it to the destination.

Wish I had a pic of my old fishtank with my pump manifold... I had a bypass built into it.

wow bit complicated,

making a hydro thing atm for 6 plants,, all using is a 60ltr tub with Lid (holes drilled in for drainage) turned upside down to use as the tray, a pump, pipes , drippers.. um thats it Look

nft.jpg

$15 for tank, $13 for pump $5 for pipes/fittings cubes 60each.. Will it Work Dunno but can be inside or outside (im thinking Tent over winter, 10 of thses inside with diff variety of plant on each) this is the test 1 see if works if need more root space will get 6 pots with expanded clay or perlite or even a rockwool slab

this worked though, the airstone in a container with holes cut in the lid aeroponic cloner thingy

aqua.jpg

aeroroot.jpg

all use in the cloner thingy is 10mls worm juice stuff to 1 ltr water and few drops superthrive , will use that to for the other system as A + B 2 part chemical things used for hydro scare me in relation to growing foods (but thats me)

hydro is fun lol

Good stuff THSC! I heard that rockwool in a deep water culture could lead to root rot so keep an eye out. I have one going too. I wanna rip some off and use clay instead, but they're still too young to risk root damage.

theHippySeedCo said:
wow bit complicated,

making a hydro thing atm for 6 plants,, all using is a 60ltr tub with Lid (holes drilled in for drainage) turned upside down to use as the tray, a pump, pipes , drippers.. um thats it Look

nft.jpg

$15 for tank, $13 for pump $5 for pipes/fittings cubes 60each.. Will it Work Dunno but can be inside or outside (im thinking Tent over winter, 10 of thses inside with diff variety of plant on each) this is the test 1 see if works if need more root space will get 6 pots with expanded clay or perlite or even a rockwool slab

this worked though, the airstone in a container with holes cut in the lid aeroponic cloner thingy

aqua.jpg

aeroroot.jpg

all use in the cloner thingy is 10mls worm juice stuff to 1 ltr water and few drops superthrive , will use that to for the other system as A + B 2 part chemical things used for hydro scare me in relation to growing foods (but thats me)

hydro is fun lol
Let me get this straight.

Container + Lid + holes for rockwool in the lid + a tub full of mild fertilizer liquid + an airpump and airstone = cloning machine? Is it really that simple? If so i might slap one together as soon as i get my aquarium finished. :shocked:

you dont want light to get to your rez man you might want to use something you cant see though... you will grow algae in your tank and that is not good for plants or water...just my 2cents good luck bro!!!

fineexampl said:
Let me get this straight.

Container + Lid + holes for rockwool in the lid + a tub full of mild fertilizer liquid + an airpump and airstone = cloning machine? Is it really that simple? If so i might slap one together as soon as i get my aquarium finished. :shocked:

Yes basically. Except you just need plain water no nutes. And the key difference between a dwc system and a cloner is the water level. You want the water not touching the rockwool or cutting if you don't use rockwool. (I just stuck straight cuttings in mine no media) the bubbles from the air stone should pop and flick tiny bits of water up enough to spray the lid. This will give you nice hairy roots. If you submerge the cuttings you'll get smooth thick water roots.

Oh and make that bastard light tight don't use a clear container as a preventative measure. I couldn't find a shoebox sized rubbermaid that wasn't clear so I covered it in aluminum tape

thanks on the dark container, its been going a Month so far and no alge probs, using Charlie Carp in a new 1, but yea Plain water should suffice and ill hide the containers from light too

Oh got the other thing up and going too,, Put 6 Bhut seedlings in

nftbhut.jpg

be a great seedling starter under a 400W MH, get em up to a foot, then put outside :D

Back