• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

DIYFS DWC + GA3 under $100

Ok, Just took a long lunch and swung by the hydro shop and picked up 20' of 1/4" tubing, 2- dual outlet adjustable air pumps, 4- air stones, 4 net cups and a small bag of hydroton. I have also scavenged 4 blue plastic Maxwell House coffee buckets with snap on lids... I think the test subjects are going to be:

1 Fatali
1 Choc. 7 Pot
1 cardi
1 Brain Strain

All will be Sprayed with 250 ppm GA3 when they develop their 4th set of true leaves. Not using this as a comparison for anything just as a cool(I think) grow experiment. I plan on getting started tonight so I'll post pictures and steps for a true how to. Grand total for all supplies, not including nutes is sitting at $91.00. MIGHT do a pour of 150ppm IAA for the roots, haven't decided on that yet.

Be sure to keep an watchful eye on the air pumps. I bought two of those dual outlet pumps and in both of them, one side quit working within six months.

Mike

Be sure to keep an watchful eye on the air pumps. I bought two of those dual outlet pumps and in both of them, one side quit working within six months.

Mike

No joke? That sucks...gonna hafta keep an eye out for that. Although, if it does happen, I'm sure it will be hours before I notice.

DT,

I didn't know to even think about it! I knew the pump (at least one side) was working. Kept wondering why the tomato plant started turning brown but the lettuce in the other tub didn't! Now I take a peek in the bucket every day or two!

Mike

Ok, as promised...First, start with a can of your choice: Best friend for size comparison
DSCF4041.jpg

Now make a hole just smaller than your net pot that the plant will be in, and a hole just big enough for some 1/4" air tubing, noting the proper level for your nutes and marking it on the side of the pot.
DSCF4043.jpg

Take your air line and air stone and put them together. I used about 2' of line.
DSCF4045.jpg

Note the shape of this pot, it makes more sense if you have the lid turned so that the little hole is over the handle area(2nd photo)so you can run your air line up through the handle and have the big hole in the unobstructed open area. Here is where you want to run the air line through:
DSCF4046.jpg

Here it is with the lid off. The air stone sits fine in the bottom and the line runs up the handle and out the top:
DSCF4047.jpg

Take your net pot and shove it in there:
DSCF4048.jpg

Ready to be filled with nutes and plugged into an air pump!:
DSCF4049.jpg

its starting slowly. i have a TS in one right now that i transplanted from dirt. it's only day or two along into the transplant so its still getting used to not having dirt around its roots...The cardi in my drip bucket is doing great tho!

Well, I can't add photo updates right now, but I Can tell you that the plants have made excellent progress and the root system in the folgers bucket is growing like crazy! Its seems like every day I look in there they are hanging down an inch further!! When I get home and change the nutes out for this week, I'll add some new pics. The only complaint that I have with the DWC transplant from dirt is that there is virtually 0% stem support in the hydroton. If it was germinated in say, rockwool and then transplanted to hydroton there would be that little bit extra holding the stem. I find that I have to go out and adjust the plant in the hydroton so it dont list to one side or the other.

Morouga on June 17th:
3a2a29a8.jpg

then I topped it yesterday to encourage more horizontal growth. It was about two inches taller than this. Still not bad for being cut and only 7 days of growth:
8d7b6b8d.jpg

You should see the yellow cardi in the drip bucket! I'll post sons pics of the morougas roots later. They are growing like wildfire!

Great thread, looking forward to some more pictures. I started a drip system about a month ago with a gypsy pepper. had similiar problems with it staying up because I didn't start it in rockwool. In any case the growth has been phenomonal and its finally rooting enough in the hydroton! Mine was a homemade system so I love seeing how others put them together!

Back