• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

DocNrock's 2013 Glog - 7/11/13

My 2013 grow officially began 10/14/2012, when seeds hit soil. After seeing Fernando (SocalChilehead) growing in his greenhouse "sanctuary" and KiNGDeNNiZ continuing to start new growth in his AeroGarden, as well as the community HP22B grow thread already being 8 pages, I broke down and started my 2013 grow. I was going to limit it to 50 varieties, but that ended up being 64, 77 including the plants I want to save from 2012. If some varieties don't pop or I end up losing some along the way, I might still be down to 50 (or less!) in no time. The grow list with pop dates is at the bottom of this post.

Since I had plenty of seeds I wanted to try an experiment. Which is better for germination, soil or Rapid Rooters? I have two mini-greenhouses with 36 soil cups each, and one mini-greenhouse with a 72 cell insert loaded with Rapid Rooters. All seeds were soaked overnight in water that had been boiled and cooled and contained a dilution of brewed chamomile tea and H2O2. The Rapid Rooters and soil were both moistened with the same mix. The soil is Sungro Sunshine mix #1 amended lightly with Ancient Forest and worm castings. Wondering if the organisms in the amendments might help break down the seed coat. Each cell contains about five seeds. This will force me to cull the weaklings, as opposed to trying to save them, hahaha! At most I will end up with two seedlings for each variety. If both survive, I can try to gift one of the two. I am thinking that some varieties may germinate better in soil, some better in the Rapid Rooters, and for some it may not make a difference. I read somewhere that kelp solutions are rich in growth hormones. Has anyone added a light kelp solution dilution to their germination setup? I was thinking of adding a couple of drops to each Rapid Rooter cell. Fert-wise, the kelp solutions are very, very weak. I doubt it would do any harm. Has anyone ever tried the kelp? I have not, but might try it later on anything that seems stubborn to sprout.

I am hoping these guys are all budded up come springtime, and ready for an early harvest. Since my indoor space is limited, I am giving serious consideration to building a small greenhouse in the backyard and putting in a couple of space heaters for the night time. I decided against a raised bed, and will probably go with 5 gallon Root Pouches for the larger plants. Some of the annuums and plants I'm as yet unsure of I will grow in 2 gallon pots. If I end up liking them, I can always up-pot them.

Getting organized:

cupsandseeds.jpg

Man, I hope I didn't mix any of these up! 64 cups to keep straight is a far cry from 3. It will be 6 months until I know for sure!:

soaking.jpg

Rapid Rooters:

rapidrooters.jpg

Soil:

soilcells.jpg

Let the waiting game begin!:

germination.jpg

Also, in case anyone is interested, the white plastic labelling tags are available at Discount Hydroponics, $2.95/100! Cheaper than popsickle sticks!

Regarding the plants I already have, I am going to try to start cuttings off most of them in the event the plants don't make it over the winter. I won't need to start those from seed, although there are four varieties (Douglah, Fatalii, Barrackpore and Yellow Bhut) I am starting from seed, as well.

Question: When we start a new grow season, is it typical to just add to one's glog thread, or is it appropriate to start a new thread for the new grow year?

Anyway, happy growing to you all and thanks for looking. I'm hoping all the lessons I learned this year will help me to make this grow much more successful!

GROW LIST: I will try to edit in pop dates for both soil and Rapid Rooters. The Rapid Rooters might get earlier pop dates since I can see the rootlets before hooks form.

Sown seeds (65):

Trinidad Scorpion (AJIJOE) 10/20/12 (RR)
HP22B (Pepper Joe) 10/19/12 (RR), 10/27/12 (soil)
Primo (Primo) 10/22/12 (RR), 10/26/12 (soil)
Billy Boy Jonah (Silver_Surfer via Coheed) 10/22/12 (RR)
7 Pot Congo Gigantic (Pepperlover) 10/23/12 (RR), 10/26/12 (soil)
7 Pot Barrackpore (Biscgolf) 10/27/12 (RR)
Dorset Naga (Pepperlover - pods) 10/24/12 (RR), 10/26/12 (soil)
Naga Morich (Biscgolf - pods) 10/22/12 (RR), 10/24/12 (soil)
Bhut Jolokia (JoynersHotPeppers)
Red Rocoto (SocalChilihead) 10/22/12 (RR)
Malawi Peppadew (Refiningfirechiles) 10/19/12 (RR), 10/24/12 (soil)
Trinidad PI281317 (Pepperlover) 10/19/12 (RR), 10/24/12 (soil)
Anaheim (Pepperlover - gift)
7 Pot Chiguanas (Silver Surfer via Coheed) 10/23/12 (RR)
Red Devil's Tongue (Pepperlover - gift) 10/28/12 (RR)
Butch T (Pepperlover - pods) 10/24/12 (RR)
7 Pot Jonah (Pepperlover - pods) 10/27/12 (RR)
7 Pot Burgundy (Silver_Surfer via Coheed) 10/23/12 (RR), 10/26/12 (soil)
Infinity 10/20/12 (soil), 10/22/12 (RR)
Yellow Moruga (Pepperlover) 10/23/12 (soil), 10/23/12 (RR)
Yellow Brain (Biscgolf) 10/24/12 (RR)
Yellow Bhut Jolokia (Biscgolf) 10/26/12 (soil)
Fatalii (AJIJOE) 10/22/12 (RR),10/28/12 (soil)
7 Pot Yellow (Biscgolf) 10/24/12 (RR)
Peach Bhut (AJIJOE) 10/28/12 (RR)
Beni Highland (AJIJOE) 10/19/12 (RR), 10/22/12 (soil)
Trinidad Morova (Pepperlover) 10/23/12 (soil), 10/28/12 (RR)
7 Pot Orange (Silver_Surfer via Coheed) 10/23/12 (soil), 10/28/12 (RR)
Golden Cayenne (SocalChilehead) 10/19/12 (RR), 10/20/12 (soil)
Yellow Scotch Bonnet (AJIJOE) 10/22/12 (soil), 10/22/12 (RR)
7 Pot Brown (Biscgolf) 10/24/12 (soil)
Douglah (Biscgolf) 10/27/12 (soil)
Black Habanero (Refiningfirechiles) 10/20/12 (RR), 10/26/12 (soil)
Chocolate Scorpion (KiNGDeNNiZ) 10/22/12 (RR), 10/23/12 (soil)
Douglah x Chocolate Scorpion F4 (Silver_Surfer via Coheed) 10/23/12 (RR), 10/24/12 (soil)
Black Naga (Refiningfirechiles) 10/20/12 (soil)
Pasilla Bajio (Refiningfirechiles) 10/22/12 (soil), 10/27/12 (RR)
Long Chocolate Habanero (AJIJOE) 10/24/12 (RR), 10/24/12 (soil)
Chocolate Habanero (AJIJOE) 10/23/12 (soil), 10/24/12 (RR)
Black Stinger (Refiningfirechiles) 10/22/12 (RR), 10/23/12 (soil)
7 Pot White (Pepperlover) 10/24/12 (RR), 10/27/12 (soil)
Giant White Habanero (AJIJOE) 10/22/12 (RR), 10/23/12 (soil)
White Bullet Habanero (AJIJOE) 10/22/12 (RR), 10/26/12 (soil)
White Devil's Tongue (Silver_Surfer via Coheed) 10/28/12 (RR)
Serrano (Pepper Joe - free) 10/19/12 (RR), 10/19/12 (soil) ***FIRST SOIL***
Jalapeno (Pepper Joe - free) 10/19/12 (RR), 10/20/12 (soil)
Red Bell (store bought pepper) 10/19/12 (RR), 10/26/12 (soil)
Andy F1 Gochu (Stickman via SocalChilehead) 10/17/12 (RR) ***TIED, FIRST OVERALL*** 10/23/12 (soil)
Korean Winner Hybrid (Stickman via SocalChilehead) 10/17/12 (RR) ***TIED, FIRST OVERALL***
Pimenta de Neyde (SocalChilehead) 10/28/12 (RR)
Trinidad Scorpion Green (SocalChilehead) 10/19/12 (RR)
Most Prolific C.chacoense (Pepperlover - gift) 10/23/12 (RR)
Royal Black (AJIJOE) 10/22/12 (RR), 10/26/12 (soil)
Assam (SocalChilehead) 10/19/12 (RR), 10/22/12 (soil)
Trinidad Scorpion "FG" (AJIJOE) 10/19/12 (RR), 10/24/12 (soil)
Australian Lantern Habanero (AJIJOE) 10/26/12 (RR), 10/26/12 (soil)
Aji Yellow (AJIJOE) 10/23/12 (RR)
Jamaican Hot Chocolate (KiNGDeNNiZ) 10/22/12 (RR)
Aji Omnicolor (OROZCONLECHE) 10/19/12 (RR)
Not-Trinidad Scorpion (long yellow pod from Arboretum, KiNGDeNNiZ) 10/22/12 (RR)
Mystery Chocolate Mix (Silver_Surfer) 10/23/12 (RR)
Red Congo (AJIJOE) 10/23/12 (RR)
Peach Habanero (AJIJOE) 10/19/12 (RR), 10/22/12 (soil)
Yellow Hablokia (AJIJOE) 10/20/12 (RR), 10/22/12 (soil)
Sown 10/20/12
Yellow Bell (store-bought pepper) 10/23/12 (RR)
Sown 10/28/12
Chocolate Bell (Refiningfirechiles)
Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion (Refiningfirechiles)
Malaysian Goronong (Refiningfirechiles)
Douglah (Refiningfirechiles)
Peter (Refiningfirechiles)
Yellow Bhut (Refiningfirechiles)
Chocolate Bhut (Refiningfirechiles)
Aji Pineapple (Refiningfirechiles)
Aji Dulce 1 (Tradewinds)
Datil (Tradewinds)
Goat's Horn (Tradewinds)
NuMex Big Jim (Tradewinds)
Paprika (Tradewinds)
Brain Strain 7 (PepperRidge)

What I hope to save from my current grow, either whole plants or clones (13):

Carribean Red (local nursery)
Aji Panca (Refiningfirechiles)
Peter Pepper (Refiningfirechiles)
Jamaican Yellow Mushroom (Refiningfirechiles)
Moruga (Refiningfirechiles)
Malaysian Goronong (Refiningfirechiles)
Thai Dragon (North Park Produce)
Chenzo (North Park Produce)
Red Brain Strain (Baker's Peppers - pods)
Chinese 5-color (Orozconleche)
Aji Dulce (Orozconleche)
Datil (Orozconleche)
Bonnie "World's Hottest Hab" (Fatalii?) (Home Depot)

I'm going to do my best to keep one of each alive, but with 77 total, I might be lucky if a few croak!

Looking good doc!! Especially for a winter grow!! Keep it up and you will be laden with ripe pods in no time

Thanks,Trippa! Things are coming along. I finally learned what these things like so the plants I started back in July are finally happy. ;) Now that I can carry the same actions over to the ones sowed mid October and since, they are responding nicely to the same treatment. Just took a walk into my little greenhouse and snapped a couple of pics. On call this weekend, so can't get too into any one thing.

My contribution to the HP22B Grow Log, grown alongside a Primo:

hp22b2mos.jpg

Pimente de Neyde (seed from a pod from SocalChilehead):

PdN-1.jpg

Golden Cayenne (seed also from SocalChilehead):

goldcayenne.jpg

Finally, had never planned on planting any wilds. When I ordered some seeds from Pepperlover.com, she threw in a seeds for "Most Prolific" C. chacoense. Decided to go ahead and grow it out. Germination was very finicky and the seedling was stalled for a while. Now, it's taking off like crazy! To it's right is an Aji Yellow (ajijoe):

chacoense.jpg

dang,,those plants looking sexy!

?thats not normal?
Thanks! It's probably normal if you're Roger from American Dad.
Those plants are looking great Doc, keep up the good work.
Thanks Jeff, looks like they are starting to make use of the increased pot size.
+1
I knew there was something I liked about you Sic... it must be your charming insouciance... :P

And thank you, Rick. I learned a new word today. ;)

Thought I'd throw up a couple of more pictures.

Silver_Surfer's Sepia Serpent (Douglah x Chocolate Scorpion F4):

sepiaserpent.jpg

I sowed more seed for the Red Rocoto. This is the best looking (not saying much), and only sprout I got so far. Poor germ rates and slow growth. Is that "normal" for pubes?

redrocoto.jpg

Dorset Naga, 7 Pot Brown, and Peach Bhut:

chinenses.jpg

The tallest plant from my seeds sown in October is my Assam (SocalChilehead). Well over one foot tall. To it's right are a Jalap and a Red Bell:

assam.jpg

Thanks,Trippa! Things are coming along. I finally learned what these things like so the plants I started back in July are finally happy. ;) Now that I can carry the same actions over to the ones sowed mid October and since, they are responding nicely to the same treatment. Just took a walk into my little greenhouse and snapped a couple of pics. On call this weekend, so can't get too into any one thing.

My contribution to the HP22B Grow Log, grown alongside a Primo:

hp22b2mos.jpg

Pimente de Neyde (seed from a pod from SocalChilehead):

PdN-1.jpg

Golden Cayenne (seed also from SocalChilehead):

goldcayenne.jpg

Finally, had never planned on planting any wilds. When I ordered some seeds from Pepperlover.com, she threw in a seeds for "Most Prolific" C. chacoense. Decided to go ahead and grow it out. Germination was very finicky and the seedling was stalled for a while. Now, it's taking off like crazy! To it's right is an Aji Yellow (ajijoe):

chacoense.jpg

I got myself some most Prolific from pepperlover, and well im patiently waiting for some to sprout for me... fingers crossed

Your cuttings look great, Brent. The roots poking out are hairy,
white and healthy looking! They will burrow right into their new
homes. The greenhouse looks like it's working it's wonders. I
moved all my garage plants out to mine today.

Brother, I have been using your hot smoked mix, and nuclear red
mix the past few nights. All I can say is makes my face tingle, buddy.
I have been using about 1/8 tsp as a 'serving', like in a bowl of chili
or plate of pasta, or whatever. They are really great ppwders; thanks
for the great samples my friend! the yellow/ peach mix is also very nice,
although have only sampled it once, when I did a taste test of all three
on some pasta. My neighbor used a little bit of each on some jerky he's
making.

I got myself some most Prolific from pepperlover, and well im patiently waiting for some to sprout for me... fingers crossed

Good luck! Looks like it will be a cool plant.

Here's a couple of more. I have mentioned more than once that I have this Aji Panca that I bought as a plant from Refining Fire Chiles. It has grown into a beautiful three foot tall plant that has yet to make a single flower. The buds would form and then, when still tiny, turn black and die off. I think I figured out what it needed. After making a couple of clones of it, I gave it a full dose of Fox Farms "Cha Ching" 9-50-10. This was about six days ago. It now has buds on more than half of the nodes!

apbudsfert.jpg

And I have a question for my friends here. I got seeds for Trinidad PI281317. It is supposed to be a chinense with some baccatum characteristics. I got one plant that started in soil and one in a Rapid Rooter. The larger one, from soil, looks like and annuum to me, but it is budding and has two buds per node. The one from the Rapid Rooter looks more chinense, but no buds yet so I cannot comment. It's possible that the one in soil is a stray annuum seed and the Rapid Rooter plant is the "real" PI281317. I'll grow them both out to see, but in the meantime, do these two plants look different (aside from size and maturity)? Does the first look like an annuum and the second a chinense?

piannuum.jpg

pichinense.jpg

This is the description from Pepperlover.com:

"Trinidad PI281317

As we are known for our passion, addiction, and dedication to find, grow, and share Trinidad peppers we were lucky to receive seeds for this rare, beautiful, and unique pepper from Trinidad. This extremely chunky and flavorful pepper has little to no heat makes it perfect for salads, fresh eating with sandwiches, or low heat salsa. What amazes us is how strong the aroma is, even though this pepper belongs to the Chinense family; the taste, texture, and aroma is very much like Baccatum. Defiantly we will be growing more for our personal daily use."

Although I don't know why she would have to grow it "defiantly." ;)

Your cuttings look great, Brent. The roots poking out are hairy,
white and healthy looking! They will burrow right into their new
homes. The greenhouse looks like it's working it's wonders. I
moved all my garage plants out to mine today.

Brother, I have been using your hot smoked mix, and nuclear red
mix the past few nights. All I can say is makes my face tingle, buddy.
I have been using about 1/8 tsp as a 'serving', like in a bowl of chili
or plate of pasta, or whatever. They are really great ppwders; thanks
for the great samples my friend! the yellow/ peach mix is also very nice,
although have only sampled it once, when I did a taste test of all three
on some pasta. My neighbor used a little bit of each on some jerky he's
making.

Thanks, bud! Should get a head-start on those varieties. Now that I know what works, got some more cuttin's cookin'! ;)

You are a true chilehead, my friend. 1/8 of a teaspoon of one of those would have me crying Mommy! Seriously, 1/2 of the 1/8 teaspoon is plenty of heat for me. Glad you like them. I really think powders are the best way, and the easiest and most efficient, to preserve pods that aren't immediately used. I really like the yellow on pizza.

Now I know what I'm going to give all my chilehead friends when my grow finally starts pumping out pods in 2013!

Quite the flurry of activity at the end of the day Doc... Lots to see! Would you say the Gochus are about 6 inches tall or thereabouts?

Yeah, snapped a couple of pics, then got carried away!

6 inches? Hmmm, let's get out a tape measure and find out:

gochus-1.jpg

;)

I'm thinking pods might form by the end of January.

Korean Winner Hybrid:
koreanwinner.jpg

Andy F1 Gochu:

andyf1.jpg

Shoot Doc... when I put mine in the ground in April they were the same size. You've got the jump on me for sure! They're looking nice and healthy too. Good on ya!

Shoot Doc... when I put mine in the ground in April they were the same size. You've got the jump on me for sure! They're looking nice and healthy too. Good on ya!
Thanks, Rick. I'm hoping for the first wave of pods to arrive in January. We'll see.
dang it boy,you are rocking and docking those plants for sure!
Ha! DocNrock...rocking and docking...yer clever. ;)
Well, bigger isn't always bettter and all...but who are we kidding, of course bigger is better! The seedlings are looking great!
Thanks Stefan. Trying each day to make sure I don't make the early mistakes I made back in the middle of this year that led to fatalities.
Impressed, I'm blown away ;) ... DocNrock may the pepper gods be with you, I'll enjoy reading about the your grow, very impressive :)
Thanks, WalkGood. Don't be impressed yet. There is plenty of time left for me to kill off these things with newbie mistakes.

Thought I'd throw this pic up. Looked inside my little greenhouse after getting home from work this evening. My Golden Cayenne (SocalChilehead) popping the first greenhouse flower!

GCflower.jpg

That is one healthy looking plant! I'll be watching to see how the golden cayennes work out for you. They are on my list of things to try a couple of years down the road.

That is one healthy looking plant! I'll be watching to see how the golden cayennes work out for you. They are on my list of things to try a couple of years down the road.
Thanks, Stefan. They all really seem to dig the greenhouse. I'll be interested, too. SocalChilehead had given me seeds for them.
Plants look amazing only a couple more days before you start seeing a poddage. Did you ever figure out between the plant mix up. Have a great Christmas with your family
Thanks, but I don't know about a couple of days! But if they pollenate, shouldn't be too long. Didn't figure out yet if it was a mixup, but I suspect it was. I have another one that looks like a chinense, so I'll grow both of them out. Merry Christmas to you and yours, as well.
Nice seedlings doc. Might want to chop some of them taller ones. Look leggy. See if you can get them growing out. Keep it up. How's the goronong. :)
Thanks. Not going to chop anything, though. I'll just let them grow, as is. Once they start getting some sun I'm sure they'll start filling out. As Nee said, they seem quite capable of sorting things out for themselves. If you're talking about my established Goronong plant, it's loaded with green pods. Haven't looked at the Goronong seedling in a while. Might have to check on it today. Off work today. :)

Back