• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

DocNrock's 2013 Glog - 7/11/13

My 2013 grow officially began 10/14/2012, when seeds hit soil. After seeing Fernando (SocalChilehead) growing in his greenhouse "sanctuary" and KiNGDeNNiZ continuing to start new growth in his AeroGarden, as well as the community HP22B grow thread already being 8 pages, I broke down and started my 2013 grow. I was going to limit it to 50 varieties, but that ended up being 64, 77 including the plants I want to save from 2012. If some varieties don't pop or I end up losing some along the way, I might still be down to 50 (or less!) in no time. The grow list with pop dates is at the bottom of this post.

Since I had plenty of seeds I wanted to try an experiment. Which is better for germination, soil or Rapid Rooters? I have two mini-greenhouses with 36 soil cups each, and one mini-greenhouse with a 72 cell insert loaded with Rapid Rooters. All seeds were soaked overnight in water that had been boiled and cooled and contained a dilution of brewed chamomile tea and H2O2. The Rapid Rooters and soil were both moistened with the same mix. The soil is Sungro Sunshine mix #1 amended lightly with Ancient Forest and worm castings. Wondering if the organisms in the amendments might help break down the seed coat. Each cell contains about five seeds. This will force me to cull the weaklings, as opposed to trying to save them, hahaha! At most I will end up with two seedlings for each variety. If both survive, I can try to gift one of the two. I am thinking that some varieties may germinate better in soil, some better in the Rapid Rooters, and for some it may not make a difference. I read somewhere that kelp solutions are rich in growth hormones. Has anyone added a light kelp solution dilution to their germination setup? I was thinking of adding a couple of drops to each Rapid Rooter cell. Fert-wise, the kelp solutions are very, very weak. I doubt it would do any harm. Has anyone ever tried the kelp? I have not, but might try it later on anything that seems stubborn to sprout.

I am hoping these guys are all budded up come springtime, and ready for an early harvest. Since my indoor space is limited, I am giving serious consideration to building a small greenhouse in the backyard and putting in a couple of space heaters for the night time. I decided against a raised bed, and will probably go with 5 gallon Root Pouches for the larger plants. Some of the annuums and plants I'm as yet unsure of I will grow in 2 gallon pots. If I end up liking them, I can always up-pot them.

Getting organized:

cupsandseeds.jpg

Man, I hope I didn't mix any of these up! 64 cups to keep straight is a far cry from 3. It will be 6 months until I know for sure!:

soaking.jpg

Rapid Rooters:

rapidrooters.jpg

Soil:

soilcells.jpg

Let the waiting game begin!:

germination.jpg

Also, in case anyone is interested, the white plastic labelling tags are available at Discount Hydroponics, $2.95/100! Cheaper than popsickle sticks!

Regarding the plants I already have, I am going to try to start cuttings off most of them in the event the plants don't make it over the winter. I won't need to start those from seed, although there are four varieties (Douglah, Fatalii, Barrackpore and Yellow Bhut) I am starting from seed, as well.

Question: When we start a new grow season, is it typical to just add to one's glog thread, or is it appropriate to start a new thread for the new grow year?

Anyway, happy growing to you all and thanks for looking. I'm hoping all the lessons I learned this year will help me to make this grow much more successful!

GROW LIST: I will try to edit in pop dates for both soil and Rapid Rooters. The Rapid Rooters might get earlier pop dates since I can see the rootlets before hooks form.

Sown seeds (65):

Trinidad Scorpion (AJIJOE) 10/20/12 (RR)
HP22B (Pepper Joe) 10/19/12 (RR), 10/27/12 (soil)
Primo (Primo) 10/22/12 (RR), 10/26/12 (soil)
Billy Boy Jonah (Silver_Surfer via Coheed) 10/22/12 (RR)
7 Pot Congo Gigantic (Pepperlover) 10/23/12 (RR), 10/26/12 (soil)
7 Pot Barrackpore (Biscgolf) 10/27/12 (RR)
Dorset Naga (Pepperlover - pods) 10/24/12 (RR), 10/26/12 (soil)
Naga Morich (Biscgolf - pods) 10/22/12 (RR), 10/24/12 (soil)
Bhut Jolokia (JoynersHotPeppers)
Red Rocoto (SocalChilihead) 10/22/12 (RR)
Malawi Peppadew (Refiningfirechiles) 10/19/12 (RR), 10/24/12 (soil)
Trinidad PI281317 (Pepperlover) 10/19/12 (RR), 10/24/12 (soil)
Anaheim (Pepperlover - gift)
7 Pot Chiguanas (Silver Surfer via Coheed) 10/23/12 (RR)
Red Devil's Tongue (Pepperlover - gift) 10/28/12 (RR)
Butch T (Pepperlover - pods) 10/24/12 (RR)
7 Pot Jonah (Pepperlover - pods) 10/27/12 (RR)
7 Pot Burgundy (Silver_Surfer via Coheed) 10/23/12 (RR), 10/26/12 (soil)
Infinity 10/20/12 (soil), 10/22/12 (RR)
Yellow Moruga (Pepperlover) 10/23/12 (soil), 10/23/12 (RR)
Yellow Brain (Biscgolf) 10/24/12 (RR)
Yellow Bhut Jolokia (Biscgolf) 10/26/12 (soil)
Fatalii (AJIJOE) 10/22/12 (RR),10/28/12 (soil)
7 Pot Yellow (Biscgolf) 10/24/12 (RR)
Peach Bhut (AJIJOE) 10/28/12 (RR)
Beni Highland (AJIJOE) 10/19/12 (RR), 10/22/12 (soil)
Trinidad Morova (Pepperlover) 10/23/12 (soil), 10/28/12 (RR)
7 Pot Orange (Silver_Surfer via Coheed) 10/23/12 (soil), 10/28/12 (RR)
Golden Cayenne (SocalChilehead) 10/19/12 (RR), 10/20/12 (soil)
Yellow Scotch Bonnet (AJIJOE) 10/22/12 (soil), 10/22/12 (RR)
7 Pot Brown (Biscgolf) 10/24/12 (soil)
Douglah (Biscgolf) 10/27/12 (soil)
Black Habanero (Refiningfirechiles) 10/20/12 (RR), 10/26/12 (soil)
Chocolate Scorpion (KiNGDeNNiZ) 10/22/12 (RR), 10/23/12 (soil)
Douglah x Chocolate Scorpion F4 (Silver_Surfer via Coheed) 10/23/12 (RR), 10/24/12 (soil)
Black Naga (Refiningfirechiles) 10/20/12 (soil)
Pasilla Bajio (Refiningfirechiles) 10/22/12 (soil), 10/27/12 (RR)
Long Chocolate Habanero (AJIJOE) 10/24/12 (RR), 10/24/12 (soil)
Chocolate Habanero (AJIJOE) 10/23/12 (soil), 10/24/12 (RR)
Black Stinger (Refiningfirechiles) 10/22/12 (RR), 10/23/12 (soil)
7 Pot White (Pepperlover) 10/24/12 (RR), 10/27/12 (soil)
Giant White Habanero (AJIJOE) 10/22/12 (RR), 10/23/12 (soil)
White Bullet Habanero (AJIJOE) 10/22/12 (RR), 10/26/12 (soil)
White Devil's Tongue (Silver_Surfer via Coheed) 10/28/12 (RR)
Serrano (Pepper Joe - free) 10/19/12 (RR), 10/19/12 (soil) ***FIRST SOIL***
Jalapeno (Pepper Joe - free) 10/19/12 (RR), 10/20/12 (soil)
Red Bell (store bought pepper) 10/19/12 (RR), 10/26/12 (soil)
Andy F1 Gochu (Stickman via SocalChilehead) 10/17/12 (RR) ***TIED, FIRST OVERALL*** 10/23/12 (soil)
Korean Winner Hybrid (Stickman via SocalChilehead) 10/17/12 (RR) ***TIED, FIRST OVERALL***
Pimenta de Neyde (SocalChilehead) 10/28/12 (RR)
Trinidad Scorpion Green (SocalChilehead) 10/19/12 (RR)
Most Prolific C.chacoense (Pepperlover - gift) 10/23/12 (RR)
Royal Black (AJIJOE) 10/22/12 (RR), 10/26/12 (soil)
Assam (SocalChilehead) 10/19/12 (RR), 10/22/12 (soil)
Trinidad Scorpion "FG" (AJIJOE) 10/19/12 (RR), 10/24/12 (soil)
Australian Lantern Habanero (AJIJOE) 10/26/12 (RR), 10/26/12 (soil)
Aji Yellow (AJIJOE) 10/23/12 (RR)
Jamaican Hot Chocolate (KiNGDeNNiZ) 10/22/12 (RR)
Aji Omnicolor (OROZCONLECHE) 10/19/12 (RR)
Not-Trinidad Scorpion (long yellow pod from Arboretum, KiNGDeNNiZ) 10/22/12 (RR)
Mystery Chocolate Mix (Silver_Surfer) 10/23/12 (RR)
Red Congo (AJIJOE) 10/23/12 (RR)
Peach Habanero (AJIJOE) 10/19/12 (RR), 10/22/12 (soil)
Yellow Hablokia (AJIJOE) 10/20/12 (RR), 10/22/12 (soil)
Sown 10/20/12
Yellow Bell (store-bought pepper) 10/23/12 (RR)
Sown 10/28/12
Chocolate Bell (Refiningfirechiles)
Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion (Refiningfirechiles)
Malaysian Goronong (Refiningfirechiles)
Douglah (Refiningfirechiles)
Peter (Refiningfirechiles)
Yellow Bhut (Refiningfirechiles)
Chocolate Bhut (Refiningfirechiles)
Aji Pineapple (Refiningfirechiles)
Aji Dulce 1 (Tradewinds)
Datil (Tradewinds)
Goat's Horn (Tradewinds)
NuMex Big Jim (Tradewinds)
Paprika (Tradewinds)
Brain Strain 7 (PepperRidge)

What I hope to save from my current grow, either whole plants or clones (13):

Carribean Red (local nursery)
Aji Panca (Refiningfirechiles)
Peter Pepper (Refiningfirechiles)
Jamaican Yellow Mushroom (Refiningfirechiles)
Moruga (Refiningfirechiles)
Malaysian Goronong (Refiningfirechiles)
Thai Dragon (North Park Produce)
Chenzo (North Park Produce)
Red Brain Strain (Baker's Peppers - pods)
Chinese 5-color (Orozconleche)
Aji Dulce (Orozconleche)
Datil (Orozconleche)
Bonnie "World's Hottest Hab" (Fatalii?) (Home Depot)

I'm going to do my best to keep one of each alive, but with 77 total, I might be lucky if a few croak!

THem golden cayennes are awesome looking. GOnna have to try those sometime for sure. The Armageddons will be fun to watch for sure. Vlad sent me some Armageddon F1 powder and it was insanely hot. I'm hoping for mean scorp looking chocolates!
Thanks, bro! Are you done sowing annuums yet?
I am really looking forward to the Armageddon F2. Not sure what the phenotype will be, but hopefully it will be cool. The picture on Vlad's website looks kind of like the Sepia Serpent, but I'm sure that is just coindicence.
You and Shane are killing me with your full grown plants!!!

Seriously, your grow is amazing! I'd never guess this is your first full season. You sure seem to know what you are doing.

I tried growing the Golden Cayenne this year, but no germination after two sowings. I'll have to try a different seed source next time.

One question for you. Do those plastic grow bags have any drainage holes? They sure look like they would topple over in the wind once the top growth is taller than the height of the bag, but I like the price of them.
Thanks, Bonnie! We are lucky to have the SoCal sunshine. Shane grows well, I just fake it well. ;)

I started growing chiles last July, and managed to kill far more than survived, hahaha! But I learned a lot and with the help of the collective knowledge of this board and help from the many awesome members, I was able to somewhat define in my own mind the limits of what chile plants like and don't like. I then applied that to this year's grow, starting back in October just in case things went horribly wrong I would have time to start over again. A solid working knowledge of the biological sciences didn't hurt, either.

Regarding the grow bags, they indeed have drainage holes. In fact, I think the person who designed these really put some thought into them. Not only are there eight 1/2" holes in the bottom, there are also eight 1/2" holes on the sides about an inch from the bottom. Not quite an Air Pot, but I think it helps ventilate the deep root zone a bit to prevent the mix at the bottom from getting soggy. The one and two gallon ones I have so far up-potted into five gallon ones had damp potting mix at the bottom, but nothing was soggy. The is unlike some of the two and five gallon pots I used towards the end of last season.

At this point, I could see the taller plants tipping over if a strong wind came along while they are in the 2 gallon bags. I suppose if the plants got to be over 5 feet tall it could happen with the 5 gallon ones. But I don't think the difference in weight between the empty bag and an empty nursery container of the same volume would be enough to keep it from being blown over given the same soil volume (weight). I think Ramon (WalkGood) had the idea of hammering the stakes through the bottom of the bag into the ground to anchor them. Not a bad idea. If I have any that blow over later this season I might try this.

…
Funny, the Serranos had decent flavor, but zero heat. Same with the Pepperjoe Jalapeno freebie. On the contrary, the Golden Cayenne pods are quite piquant! …
Great to read you’re eating pods now, everything looks great. Not happy to read that the Serrano has no heat :/ I’ll be trying the one I picked the other day tonight with some steak, luckily I have some JA Hab back ups :D

… I think Ramon (WalkGood) had the idea of hammering the stakes through the bottom of the bag into the ground to anchor them. Not a bad idea. If I have any that blow over later this season I might try this.
I can’t recall what I suggested but I believe it was to stake the bag down, heck you could have 4 tall bamboo poles surrounding the bags or even 3 short and 1 tall (outside the bad so you don’t mess with the roots but you can sung them up to the sides of the bags) and they wouldn’t budge, plus you could tie branches to the tall ones if needed. If there's any movement still you could use some cheap duck tape around the 4 stakes and make one wrap around the whole bag.

Great to read you’re eating pods now, everything looks great. Not happy to read that the Serrano has no heat :/ I’ll be trying the one I picked the other day tonight with some steak, luckily I have some JA Hab back ups :D

I can’t recall what I suggested but I believe it was to stake the bag down, heck you could have 4 tall bamboo poles surrounding the bags or even 3 short and 1 tall (outside the bad so you don’t mess with the roots but you can sung them up to the sides of the bags) and they wouldn’t budge, plus you could tie branches to the tall ones if needed. If there's any movement still you could use some cheap duck tape around the 4 stakes and make one wrap around the whole bag.

It was kind of surprising that the Serrano was heatless. Oh well, it still had good flavor and the seeds were free. It wouldn't have been on my grow list if the seeds weren't given to me, so at worst we have another variety of salad peppers. It's all good.

Yes, I do recall you had said to stake the bag down. I see what you are saying, now. I took what you then said to mean passing the stake that would otherwise be used to support the plant through the bottom of the bag and into the ground. If I run into issues with the plants blowing over, then I just might do that. Honestly, while possible, I don't really see that happening. Then again, I've never had 5+ foot tall plants loaded with pods. So we will see. Good luck with your grow, brotha!

That's a bummer that the Serranos you got weren't spicy enough for you... I don't know whether it was the variety or the hot, dry summer we had last year, but the Serranos I grew then were pretty darned hot! Especially the ones I let get red-ripe. It's early days yet, and the hours of daylight aren't up to where the plant needs it to be for hot chiles... Maybe all you have to do is to wait until late May or June for the heat to spike up.

That's a bummer that the Serranos you got weren't spicy enough for you... I don't know whether it was the variety or the hot, dry summer we had last year, but the Serranos I grew then were pretty darned hot! Especially the ones I let get red-ripe. It's early days yet, and the hours of daylight aren't up to where the plant needs it to be for hot chiles... Maybe all you have to do is to wait until late May or June for the heat to spike up.

No problem, they were pretty tasty. It's not that they are not spicy enough. They had the heat of a bell pepper...seriously! It is true that they were they first ripe pods off of this plant, so maybe they will heat up, but my Golden Cayenne was pretty hot. Even the first pod to ripen. It was much hotter than I expected, actually. Expected Scoville is 30k - 50k. I think it was right on the money, perhaps hotter. Not quite habanero heat, but way hotter than a hot Jalapeno. A Serrano should be 5k - 25k. But, every variety is different, so maybe the Serrano just needs more stress to make capsaicin. Anyway, not bummed at all. Now if my Brain Strains turn out like bell peppers, then I would be bummed. :)

Peppers are looking good. If you haven't tried a purple Jalapeno before they have a wide range of heat levels on the same plant. I ate some off the plant that didn't have any heat, then some that had the heat of a Biker. That is the status Quo though for this pepper.

Glad you got the Jimmy going!!!

Peppers are looking good. If you haven't tried a purple Jalapeno before they have a wide range of heat levels on the same plant. I ate some off the plant that didn't have any heat, then some that had the heat of a Biker. That is the status Quo though for this pepper.

Glad you got the Jimmy going!!!

Thanks Bodeen! The Purple Jal is definitely on the 2014 grow list. I have not yet tried one, but I see what you are saying. The Serranos may just be like that, as well. Looking forward to the Jimmy pods.

Well, this weekend had no real pepper related activities. This afternoon, the in-laws and extended in-laws were over for late lunch. Everyone is playing a card game now, so I've retreated to the home office. I did have a chance to snap some pics, though.

Haven't shown the HP22B or Primo in a while. Here they are, HP on the left and Primo on the right. Both are budding up, and a flower opened on the Primo.

HPandPrimo_zpse478e48e.jpg

First pod set (I think) on the Peach Bhut:

peachbhutpod_zps5058d148.jpg

Aji Panca clone from a plant I bought from RFC last year. The parent plant was a healthy-looking three foot tall plant, but it never opened a single flower. The buds would start to form, then turn black, shrivel up, and fall off. Funny, but it looks like the clone might actually flower:

apclonebud_zps1fcb1520.jpg

My White Bhut has been slower than the others. It got a bit sickly, but is coming back. Almost ready for a two-gallon gro bag:

whitebhut_zps314fa44d.jpg

Since the Sepia Serpent is an F4, I wanted to hedge my bets to getting the target phenotype. I have a total of five growing. Here are the smallest three. I think they are close to a two-gallon bag, as well:

serpents_zpsba09980a.jpg

I wanted to take more pics of plants grown from those who gave me seeds or pods. Thank you all again. Very generous.

Chocolate Scorpion (KingDenniz):

chocscorp_zps59135057.jpg

Rapires F1 (Stickman):

RapiresF1_zps9940f372.jpg

Bishop's Crown (GA Growhead):

BishopCrown_zps86676586.jpg

Pointed Yellow Hab (PaulG):

paintedyellow_zps0164119e.jpg

Variegata (GA Growhead), Hawaiian Sweet Hot (Jamison), and Madballz 7 (Junglerain.com):

Variegata_zps7ceda65a.jpg

The Madballz was purchased, but it's in the same tray, therefore in the pic.

Have a great Sunday and week, everyone!

I germinated some of those purple jalapenos, and didn't realize the leaves are purple too :)
I figure it'll be a cool looking plant.

My serranos last year weren't all that hot either.
This year I have seeds from few sources, so hopefully some of them have more heat to them.

It is odd when jalapenos are hotter than serranos!

That variegatta is not looking like its parent. The plant the seeds came from where seriously tri colored. Might be a mutant cross or was unstable. ? Bummer. Wonder what will pod up? Bishops looks good! I also have 5 sepia serps. for that same reason.

I germinated some of those purple jalapenos, and didn't realize the leaves are purple too :)
I figure it'll be a cool looking plant.

My serranos last year weren't all that hot either.
This year I have seeds from few sources, so hopefully some of them have more heat to them.

It is odd when jalapenos are hotter than serranos!
I'd never seen pictures of the purple jalapenos before until people posted them this year. Very cool looking plant. Definitely on my list for 2014. I think the seed source probably has a lot to do with the heat of the pepper. Given the source of these, it wouldn't surprise me if they were heatless. But, they were free, so who can complain?
That variegatta is not looking like its parent. The plant the seeds came from where seriously tri colored. Might be a mutant cross or was unstable. ? Bummer. Wonder what will pod up? Bishops looks good! I also have 5 sepia serps. for that same reason.
Thanks for the info, Jason. I remember the leaves that were attached to the little pods you sent. They were quite variegated. I was wondering if it simply manifested this trait when it got more mature. Since you've grown it before, perhaps that is not the case. Oh well, maybe it will be a cool cross. Do you recall what was planted next to it last year? Yeah, I think the Bishop might grow into something cool. Regarding the Sepia Serpents, I'm hoping for either five widely divergent phenotypes or five of the target one...but who's greedy? ;)

Thanks for the info, Jason. I remember the leaves that were attached to the little pods you sent. They were quite variegated. I was wondering if it simply manifested this trait when it got more mature. Since you've grown it before, perhaps that is not the case. Oh well, maybe it will be a cool cross. Do you recall what was planted next to it last year? Yeah, I think the Bishop might grow into something cool. Regarding the Sepia Serpents, I'm hoping for either five widely divergent phenotypes or five of the target one...but who's greedy? ;)
The variegatta was by the jamacian hot chocolates, a mulato isle, and hot cow horns. I still have one i just cut back overwintering, and just planted seeds from saved pods too. I am interested now if these seeds planted will lose the variegation too or if they are crossed also. If grows as a cross you might save seeds and grow out to see if the variegation shows up in F2s. Could be fun. They would show as seedlings so you could trash early on. I will let you know if any of my spouts come up showing any too.
Bishop crowns looked just like yours. Tall and skinny at that age. Taller than the others! They get huge, so that's your 5+ plant right there!
I remember two different phenos of the sepias. I have no idea which pheno the seeds i planted came from, or if they came from a different one altogether. So the sepias are going to be a surprise for sure! But with the parents involved, can't lose! Im just hoping for variation. 5 different ones would be cool

And a second look... that variegatta does have a similar growth pattern. So who knows?

I've read the Serrano Tampiqueno variety is very mild....I have those started, and my overwinters, and some started from free pepperjoe seeds....
I do have some seeds from a 50¢ pack from wallyworld....i might need to germ those too.
My guess is they will all be mild ones...lol
However, my gal will eat them like nobody's business if they on the mild side, although she has been using a lot of the cayenne flakes I made from our pods last year. Moving up the heat ladder :)

The variegatta was by the jamacian hot chocolates, a mulato isle, and hot cow horns. I still have one i just cut back overwintering, and just planted seeds from saved pods too. I am interested now if these seeds planted will lose the variegation too or if they are crossed also. If grows as a cross you might save seeds and grow out to see if the variegation shows up in F2s. Could be fun. They would show as seedlings so you could trash early on. I will let you know if any of my spouts come up showing any too.
Bishop crowns looked just like yours. Tall and skinny at that age. Taller than the others! They get huge, so that's your 5+ plant right there!
I remember two different phenos of the sepias. I have no idea which pheno the seeds i planted came from, or if they came from a different one altogether. So the sepias are going to be a surprise for sure! But with the parents involved, can't lose! Im just hoping for variation. 5 different ones would be cool

And a second look... that variegatta does have a similar growth pattern. So who knows?
Cool man, hopefully it will be a cool cross with one of those. I don't see any chinense characteristics, so maybe a cross with the Mulato or the Cow Horn. How many seasons have you grown the Variegatta? Do you remember where you originally got the seed? Purchased or given to you by a private party? Anyway, I don't mind cool surprises like this. Still looking forward to growing it out.
I've read the Serrano Tampiqueno variety is very mild....I have those started, and my overwinters, and some started from free pepperjoe seeds....
I do have some seeds from a 50¢ pack from wallyworld....i might need to germ those too.
My guess is they will all be mild ones...lol
However, my gal will eat them like nobody's business if they on the mild side, although she has been using a lot of the cayenne flakes I made from our pods last year. Moving up the heat ladder :)
Yeah, hots and superhots are cool and all that, but unless you are into torturing yourself, it's not likely that you are going to sit down and snack on part of one or a whole one. I like mild chiles that I can just munch on, as long as they have a great flavor. I have an Anaheim plant I grew from seed that came from a store bought pepper. It was the only red one in the bag. Pretty sure it ripened off the plant since I got an awful germination rate, like one sprout out of 20+ seeds sown. Anyway, the chiles off of that plant have almost no heat, but when ripe red they are sweet as fruit. Very tasty. That said, I don't mind if the Serranos have no heat. They are tasty.

Nice. Pod porn in march!!'. When are you putting them in ground ?

Thanks man! Starting in October, I was hoping for pods by March. :)

Regarding when they go in-ground, this a container grow only. Nothing is going in-ground. The ones in two gallon gro bags will soon be up-potted to five gallon, but that is pretty much it. Our soil pretty much sucks, and I don't have room for a plot to till and amend. Besides, this is a temporary house. I bought it back in '98, lived in it for three years, then moved away with my then new wife. It has been a rental until last year, when we moved back into it after I landed a job locally. We are now in the market for a house in the area. Hopefully we will buy one and move before mid-summer.

Sweet update Doc! They're looking happy and healthy. Did yours slow down for a week or so when you moved them outside? Mine did a little then figured it out and now they're moving again. Awesome job on giving the props...Almost all my plants are from the great folks on here. Fun stuff looking for those first pods to set with fingers crossed! Can't wait to see some color on those pods brother...it's going to be epic!

Sweet update Doc! They're looking happy and healthy. Did yours slow down for a week or so when you moved them outside? Mine did a little then figured it out and now they're moving again. Awesome job on giving the props...Almost all my plants are from the great folks on here. Fun stuff looking for those first pods to set with fingers crossed! Can't wait to see some color on those pods brother...it's going to be epic!
Thanks, Shane! Always a pleasure having you drop by. They did, in fact, slow down for a bit after moving them outside. They also stall for a bit after up-potting. I really think it has to do with gene expression. They get accustomed to a particular environment and express a complement of genes that optimizes their existence in that environment. Then when you put them in a different environment (ie., inside to outside, up-pot, etc.), the genes they are expressing are then not optimal for the new environment. They then "shift gears," so to speak. It takes some time for the previously expressed enzymes to degrade and for the newly expressed ones to be synthesized. I think this is the molecular basis for the "stall" that we see at the plant level.

Always happy to give props. I put the sources of the seed in my first post of this thread, but as the seeds start to grow, I'll start linking the plants to their sources. Like you said, sometimes those really early pods get aborted. So far, it looks like the Peach Bhut pod is starting to get a bit larger. Ah, full sized pods of color...the stuff dreams are made of. ;)

Question to anyone about the Peach Bhut: Do the pods for this one grow pointing up? I now have three small pods forming and they are all pointing to the sky. They are still too small to predict their final shape, but the plant is definitely a chinense and the leaves look "Bhut-ish" (slighly jagged edges to the leaves).

looking good! those plants look sexy!!

Thanks, Siccy! Hopefully my wife doesn't get jealous of them. ;)

Back