• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

heat Does anyone have a list of the current 20 hottest peppers?

Hey....Wait A Minute..

POTAWIE said:
We do need some more happiness around here but we also need accurate info;) If we say the Diablo negro is the hottest pepper then people will go out and buy it and likely be dissapointed:lol:

Don't talk about my Diablo Negro not being the hottest in the world..... (J/K) :lol:

I will have to admit, the Diablo Negro is making a very pretty plant...has to be an annuum...it has big (almost quarter size) purple flowers on it....

OK, you've tempted me enough over the last two months. Please save seed! :) I've always wanted to taste a pod that is 3,000,000 SHU. Kidding.

Chris

AlabamaJack said:
Don't talk about my Diablo Negro not being the hottest in the world..... (J/K) :lol:

I will have to admit, the Diablo Negro is making a very pretty plant...has to be an annuum...it has big (almost quarter size) purple flowers on it....

By the way, I don't think it is possible to accurately list the top 20 hottest. Everytime you think you have it, someone will come by and show you one you didn't know of. :) That's my personal experience. It holds true EVERY SINGLE year. Then if I mentioned those "unknowns", others would grow them in their climate and find 5 others hotter and so on...

Chris

Indeed. Interbreeding and evolution, as well as climate, are constantly making new kinds.

I'm sure it won't be too long until someone genetically engineers a new pepper that is off the map. That will take all of the fun out of it.

cmpman1974 said:
OK, you've tempted me enough over the last two months. Please save seed! :) I've always wanted to taste a pod that is 3,000,000 SHU. Kidding.

Chris
Boy, you sent my mind a whirl with ideas of how that would go. I would love a pepepr that's 3 million SHU. I've been having so much fun with the 1 million SHU Naga but I desire hotter.

915river buddy dont rely on lists..that one is just silly :lol:

tangerine bell indeed...its orange and its gonna make you sweat :hot::hot::::lol:

it could have been worse somebody asking for a list of the least hottest peppers lol,now that would have been fun..silly idea a list of hottest peppers indeed.:rolleyes:

my point is misnaming of chilli ie hot tangerine bell..... its the cornerstone of the ebay market.lol
Have you tasted my "lavar fire ball habanero" I'tsreal hot. It used to be called orange habanero but thats not cool enough.......

you have a very good point stillmanz m8,im a beginner and have learnt much from these very forums and chillman database of the real name of varietys not the fairytale ones on fleabay ;)

It seems like a silly name for a hot pepper especially when there is a sweet one with nearly the same name.
The pics on the chileman's sight look much different too.

This is a tangerine bell (chinense) that fits USDA profile (it came from USDA). I have grown it and it's picante....

I think another lesson to be learned in this thread is that chile taxonomy sucks and naming conventions cause endless, fruitless debate.

You say tomato and I say tomato........

tang7.jpg

We have witnessed new peppers created on this site, "jalabanero" for one. Our seed trade box is probably spreading more than a few hybrids and crosses.

POTAWIE said:
Now were getting into a debate which I knew would happen. There is no way red savina is hotter than Fatalii or devil's tongue or chocolate hab and Donnie Sali should not even be on the list, and the Aji's?? and tepin?? and tangerine bell??

You probably haven't tried authentic Rota Island Donne Sali Hot Pepper, where it originated from. It ain't hotter than the Bhut Jolokia or Dorset Naga but it sure is hotter than the Red Savina.:mouthonfire:

summer hibiscus said:
You probably haven't tried authentic Rota Island Donne Sali Hot Pepper, where it originated from. It ain't hotter than the Bhut Jolokia or Dorset Naga but it sure is hotter than the Red Savina.:mouthonfire:

By the way, correct spelling is Donne Sali and not Donnie Sali

Back