• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Does this look like a...

DSCN3040.jpg

Scotch Bonnet to anyone? I've never seen one that looked like this, before. I thought they were all squash-y looking.

Thanks.

Thanks for the reply Klyth. I know it comes out looking yellow-ish in this picture, but it's actually orange-ish.

Here is another shot of the plant:

DSCN3049.jpg

I bought it as a scotch bonnet. Do they mature orange? Or are there many varieties?

Thanks again.

There are many varieties of scotch bonnets with lots of different colours!!

This looks like it could be a scotch bonnet that may be crossed with something.

Not really sure myself.

Looks pretty cool though. Did you buy it from a reputable dealer??

moyboy said:
There are many varieties of scotch bonnets with lots of different colours!!

This looks like it could be a scotch bonnet that may be crossed with something.

Not really sure myself.

Looks pretty cool though. Did you buy it from a reputable dealer??

Sure. I bought it from a neighborhood nursery that's been around for 20 or so years. I've been buying my pepper plants exclusively there for about 15 years.

I've been noticing the little tails on the peppers and wondering. I've had scotch bonnet in Matouk sauces and here and there...and I've looked at pictures of scotch bonnets as well. I've never seen an actual one, though...no grocery store here sells them. Although orange habs occasionally hit the shelves, the main pepper is the Jalapeno with some serranos, Anaheims and Red Hots. To get a fresh taste of something more exotic, it's necessary to grow it. And this is the first time that nursery has sold the Scotch Bonnet. If it's a cross, heaven only knows what it will be like. I would bet on a hab-by fruit-y flavour for starters, though.

Thanks for your reply. I really want the kind of expert opinions I'll only be able to find in a forum like this.

I've always thought Scotch Bonnets were shaped more like miniature pumpkins, but I know Rainbowberry grows them, she would know better.

Hmm, I wonder if it's crossed with your 7-pot or just label-switcheroo at the nursery?

The tail makes me wonder if it's Scorpion/7-pot type?

In your album, the two look remarkably similar.

Either way, it'll likely be a scorcher of a chile. :)

JayT said:
I've always thought Scotch Bonnets were shaped more like miniature pumpkins, but I know Rainbowberry grows them, she would know better.

My Scotch Bonnets are growing in all sorts of shapes this year.

28082008365.jpg
28082008366.jpg
28082008364.jpg

Many Scotch bonnets don't have bonnet(squash) shapes. It is not the shape that makes it a Scotch bonnet but it does grade them higher.

QuadShotz said:
Hmm, I wonder if it's crossed with your 7-pot or just label-switcheroo at the nursery?

The tail makes me wonder if it's Scorpion/7-pot type?

In your album, the two look remarkably similar.

Either way, it'll likely be a scorcher of a chile. :)

It really couldn't be a cross with my 7 pot because these are both first generation. I don't grow them from seed, I buy them as little plants in the Spring. I was also thinking that they looked kind of like a 7 pot or Scorpion...what with the tail and all. I hadn't really seen any images of Scotch Bonnets with tails before...they always seem to be all squashy on the bottom. But Rainbowberry's images are quite diverse and seem to have the tails. So maybe...? Is there any way to really know?

I was thinking about this earlier today...it seems to me that a few years ago identifying a pepper was relatively easy. You wouldn't mistake a Cayenne for a Jalapeno or a Habanero for a Pequin, and a Scotch Bonnet looked like a Scotch Bonnet and a Paper Lantern looked like a Paper Lantern...you could usually tell what the pepper was just by looking at it, unless I've just been living a sheltered life (which is certainly possible.) Things seem to be getting tougher now. All the 'new' varieties and the crosses and hybrids I feel like I have no idea what I'm looking at.

Here's an image of a Trinidad Scorpion I found at www.pbase.com:

TrinidadScorpion.jpg

Does anyone think that my peppers look like they may be a cross between a Scorpion and a Scotch Bonnet? Now it's driving me insane that I don't know what it is.

Thanks again for all your help solving my mystery.

QuadShotz said:
Part of the prob is that the T&T stuff is all cross bred all over the place. If ya got some, I say great. :)

Like killer bees cross breeding with honey bees across the Southern US. Even the relatively moderate peppers are becoming insanely hot. LOL! I guess the point is that it's the pepper that's the thing - not the name of the pepper.

Thanks for the compliment, Stillmanz. I haven't tried one yet. I'm letting them ripen more. I don't know if they'll settle at orange or continue ripening to red, but I can afford to let them be for a while yet. It's still pretty nice here...no frost warning yet. And, I do have a cloth to lay over the garden when the temperatures dip too low. Or maybe the suspense will get to me and I'll pick that large one that's just about ripe. I'm not really known for my patience.

Thanks again.

Just as a final note to this mystery pepper...I picked the ripest one and cut it open and was happy with the strong Habanero-ish fragrance but was disappointed with the heat. I was expecting :mouthonfire: but what I got was ... a scotch bonnet. Nice enough, built up slowly and became rather painful, then it subsided and died away all in the space of a couple minutes.:(

My Orange and Red Caribbean Habs are better!! And the Seven Pot!!!!!!!!! A teensy piece and the PAIN! The Pain!! The PAIN!!! Oh Yeah! That's more like it. :onfire:

Doesn't sound that bad at all, could be a great pepper to prepare kinda hot food for people that don't eat that hot normally, if the burn would last for half an hour, they wouldn't touch it, these peppers sound like a good compromise! :) And they look great, too!!!

Back