• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Dorest Nagas (aka Naga Morrich)

Tina and darlochileman,

I did buy the seeds directly from Dorsetnaga.com. As I email a few times to Mrs. Joy Michaud. If you are interested into the email, please send me your email and I will forward the email to both of you. Let me the last email I got from Mrs. Joy as below. Can darlochileman respond??

" It is exactly the same variety. The plants we gave the BBC was from seed
saved in 2005, and the seed we are selling now was harvested in 2006
(grown from the 2005 seed).

I must warn you though. The reason we haven't made a very big deal about
the BBC measurement was that the 1.6 million SHU measurement seems too
high, and after talking to the scientist who did the test a level of 1.2
to 1.3 may be more correct. The Dorset Naga we grow has never been
measured over a million SHU (but it has got very close). However, we
never stress our plants (which supposedly increases the heat level of
the fruit) and after talking to the BBC it is likely the plants they had
were stressed a fair bit.

I have absolutely no doubt that Dorset Naga has the genetical make up
capable of of achieving amazingly extreme heat. The actual heat level
you get depends on the individual plant (when we test it we collect
fruit from over 100 plants) and on the conditions they are grown in.

So you have got the genuine seed. Seed of Dorset Naga bought anywhere
else is not real stuff. "

Potawie,

Here is other quote from chileseeds.co.uk below.

"The protocol for sampling and preparation for testing will be agreed with Warwick HRI (a Department of the University of Warwick) and they will be testing the pods. It is hoped that these tests will provide further objective and independent evidence to substantiate the heat levels that these varieties can achieve given typical growing conditions in the UK. Currently the most rigorous testing (to meet the standards required by the Guinness Book of World Records) confirms the Bhut Jolokia as the World’s hottest chilli at 1,001,304 SHU. Testing of the Bih Jolokia, organised by Frontal Agritech, gave an even higher value of 1,041,427 SHU. Warwick HRI state that the test results quoted by BBC Gardeners World for the Dorset Naga of approximately 1.5 million SHU were generated from a non-standard test which used fresh fruit rather than dried and therefore can not be compared directly to the heat value recorded for the Bhut Jolokia, Bih Jolokia and Naga Morich. Our testing programme is being designed to ensure that each variety is grown in controlled conditions and will be sampled and prepared to a protocol agreed with Warwick HRI to ensure the credibility of comparison between the varieties."

rainforest2 said:
...Warwick HRI state that the test results quoted by BBC Gardeners World for the Dorset Naga of approximately 1.5 million SHU were generated from a non-standard test which used fresh fruit rather than dried ...QUOTE]

So why don't they have two categories, dry and fresh....I had rather have fresh peppers any day of the week over dried peppers/flakes/powder. After all, it all starts with a fresh pepper.

AlabamaJack said:
So why don't they have two categories, dry and fresh....I had rather have fresh peppers any day of the week over dried peppers/flakes/powder. After all, it all starts with a fresh pepper.
Well one test has excess liquids, the other doesn't.
It might affect the entire process.

Omri said:
Well one test has excess liquids, the other doesn't.
It might affect the entire process.

right Omri, I didn't think...water does strange things to high falutin' tests like this. :lol:

Back