• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Douglah Split

Here is a picture of one of my late start Douglahs having already split. You can clearly see the two stems from the side and the top pictures shows the new growth coming in on both sides. Seems a bit early for it to start splitting off, makes me wonder if it's going to split again later on. That would be a wicked looking plant !

-J

dough1.jpg

dough2.jpg

I have a 7 Pod that split really early...

33965161.jpg

I'm interested to see how it turns out compared to the other 7 Pods. That was about a month ago, I'll see if I can get a current picture of it.

Here's a more recent picture, as in 5 minutes ago:

whbj.jpg

Seems to be growing fairly well. Hasn't grown a terribly large amount in the month between pictures, but the weather hasn't exactly been cooperating.

Nova-what exactly is "tipping" a plant? Do you just lay the container on it's side or what?

if it's stem is strong enough to get bent over with a rubber band so it looks like it's been tipped. just tie a rubber band on it and weigh it down. or use string, just so the stem bends down. it'll grow a lot more bushier. and if you've grown enough "stem growth" take it off and be on your merry way. lol.

=D

if it's stem is strong enough to get bent over with a rubber band so it looks like it's been tipped. just tie a rubber band on it and weigh it down. or use string, just so the stem bends down. it'll grow a lot more bushier. and if you've grown enough "stem growth" take it off and be on your merry way. lol.

=D

hmm.. I think I get it. do you have pictures of how it looks?

I think I'll give tipping a shot just to see what happens. Any ideas what makes it bushier by just having it bent?

-J

I think I'll give tipping a shot just to see what happens. Any ideas what makes it bushier by just having it bent?

-J

I don't understand the exact process, but it would seem that when a plant is growing upright most of its energy is going into producing new growth at the top of the plant, with a later flush of stems off the main one. By tipping the main stem to horizontal, you're basically giving those other growth points an equal chance at becoming the main growth center, producing a more evenly bushy plant. Whether this has a noticeable effect on yield, I don't know.

I would hazard a guess that this approach would produce more noticeable results with species that have a more upright growth habit to begin with. Others that send off side growth early on probably won't have a noticeable difference.

Not to hijack your thread, but here's a couple pictures for comparison. I only did it with a couple plants, and only briefly, but this is sort of what you can expect.

Tipped Cayenne:
IMGP0490.jpg

Normal Cayenne:
IMGP0456.jpg

Tipped Aji Amarillo (went straight again after removing the weight):
IMGP0492.jpg

Normal Aji Amarillo (a few days old, it's a bit bigger now):
IMGP0451.jpg

Really, the total amount of growth is the same either way, it seems that tipping just redistributes the onset of new growth. Notice how the non-tipped Amarillo has more branching compared to the tipped, and the Cayenne ended up having substantial side growth anyway.

Not to hijack your thread, but here's a couple pictures for comparison. I only did it with a couple plants, and only briefly, but this is sort of what you can expect.

Tipped Cayenne:
IMGP0490.jpg

Normal Cayenne:
IMGP0456.jpg

Tipped Aji Amarillo (went straight again after removing the weight):
IMGP0492.jpg

Normal Aji Amarillo (a few days old, it's a bit bigger now):
IMGP0451.jpg

Really, the total amount of growth is the same either way, it seems that tipping just redistributes the onset of new growth. Notice how the non-tipped Amarillo has more branching compared to the tipped, and the Cayenne ended up having substantial side growth anyway.

thats awsomee. so you just tied them down?
& for how long?

Back