• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Downriver - 2021

Well, I hear tell it's (past) time to start a Glog, so why not give it a try. I've been on here for years and always enjoyed reading them. So, I thought it might be fun to write one for a change...or not? lol

Anyway, for this year's grow, I came up with a few themes. First, I'm participating in a couple of the THP grows, namely the Growdown Throwdown and the P. Dreadie SB grow. I'm doing a Bhut grow and a Jalapeno grow. I've already had some successful seed pops. Left half - Chinense, right half everything else (three weeks later). Needing some potting up.

IMG_20210318_163553148~2.jpg

Also, I'm attempting to do an “old seed” re-stock. I'm going back to the original seed I received many years ago from folks and try to isolate and produce new seed stock. They have to germinate first of course, lol.

IMG_20210228_165614052 r.jpg

Then, there's starting tomatoes April 01, but I need to finish up the pepper starts first. More on toms later.

So, here's the players this season (hopefully):

Chinense
Chinense.JPG

Finished potting up seedlings. Ended up with 7 trays. There's still a few late starts that will need potting up, so an 8th tray will be needed.

IMG_20210402_173505295.jpg

There hasn't been much success with the old seed projects to date, but I'll be patient and give them more time.

So, I moved on to tomato selection and seed starting. Most of these are new to me this year, but there's some I grow every year. Here's this year's lists:

Tomatoes 1.JPG

Tomatoes 2.JPG

And to round out my "projects" for this season, I received a few of Dr. Male's tomato seed stock. If I can get these to germinate and ultimately produce, it will be a seed-saving / preservation exercise.

CM Tomato seed soak.JPG

On to bean selection next.

Seed starting season wouldn't be complete without the Guests of Honor!  Bastiages!

IMG_20210414_165905499~2.jpg

Ugh, aphids   :sick:

Still a little cold at night for aphids
here, but that won't last long! I am
keeping a lookout.

Good luck getting rid of god's little
green critters..

Tybo said:
Wow. Aphids already?  Have you had them outside?  I dread the spring time aphids and slugs!  

Overwinters. I've overwintered plants before, got an aphid infestation, and swore I wouldn't do it again. I didn't for like six years, but the end of last season I decided to try again. Mistake. NEVER again lol.

skullbiker said:
They're here too, on and off all season. This season seams a little heavier than last. I just now got done treating almost every pepper plant I have.
Good luck keeping yours under control.

Thanks SB. You use anything in particular to fight them?

ahayastani said:
Same here... Their numbers are building up but so far I've got them under control. I've started neem treatments, which seems to help in keeping low numbers low (so far).

Yeah, aphids have no boundaries. I'll probably hit them with some air, water and maybe a low-dose of neem. The plants are still pretty young.

PaulG said:
Ugh, aphids   :sick:

Still a little cold at night for aphids
here, but that won't last long! I am
keeping a lookout.

Good luck getting rid of god's little
green critters..

Thanks Paul. I hope they continue to avoid your awesome grow.

DownRiver said:

Thanks SB. You use anything in particular to fight them?

See post #25 here:  http://thehotpepper.com/topic/74544-skullbikers-2021-everything-but-peppers-golog/page-2
I have not sprayed yet this year, the Dustin-Mizer has been working quite well for me. I have changed my mix ratio to two parts DE to one part Sevin dust. I walk through the plants and particularly look at the new growth. If I see a few aphids on a plant, I dust it. If I find them on several plants, I do them all. I can't speak for anyone else but this is working for me at this time.  

DownRiver said:

Overwinters. I've overwintered plants before, got an aphid infestation, and swore I wouldn't do it again. I didn't for like six years, but the end of last season I decided to try again. Mistake. NEVER again lol.

Aphids are the worst, with slugs a very close second. I have a philosophy of not bringing plants back in once they've been outside, so no overwinters for me. However, I'm not entirely opposed to cloning if a plant does particularly well. Hope you get a handle on those pests!

Greetings Friends!

Where the hell you been, you might ask? It's been a busy six weeks or so. I finally was able to finish restoration of a family member's house (started pre-Covid). It was 4 hours away, and we could only be gone for two nights at a time because of the plants, animals, etc. So, back and forth – back and forth, lol. Anyway, it's done. Listed it Friday, sold it on Monday (3 offers). Good riddance! But it was kinda fun lol.

Anyway, at last my last post, aphids had showed up. Well, I gotta tell ya, they mounted the largest offensive I've ever experienced! Sons-a-Bitches mounted a sustained attack that I am STILL FIGHTING, lol. All the traveling didn't help.

I finally got the plants outside permanently a few weeks ago, but I suffered heavy casualties – probably 40-50%. I hit them with everything known to man and the bugs marched on. They bathed in Neem, washed with Soap and dried off with DE. They would retreat for a week or two, then mount another, larger, offensive. Have I told you I HATE aphids? Anyway, now that the plants are outside, Mother Nature is helping with ladybugs, nymphs and other good guys. I think they're finally under control.

Here's the survivors when they went outside. Pretty pathetic looking.

IMG_20210519_154952150.jpg

So, why aren't your plants in the ground you ask? Well, I've been gone a lot and the garden prep has suffered. Now I HATE f'n WEEDS, lol.

Here's what I started with. The battle is REAL, lol. 90F+ days, followed by tons of rain make progress slow but I'll win (eventually).

IMG_20210527_160922024.jpg

A bit northwest of you but yup..just been poopy weather lately.  Plenty warm but always raining just enough to keep things wet all the time.  Got aphids much earlier than last year and now some kind of mold or bacteria attacking too from the dampness.  The bugs are even attacking me more than usual.  Hope we straighten up soon and push out of the constant isolated showers and get to the hot dry part of summer.

I agree, still lots of potential!

Sorry to hear about your aphid and weed woes. I don't overwinter anymore for the same reason. Speaking of weeds, I got my plants stuck in the mud two weeks ago, and now they are about to be overtaken by weeds! I gotta get out in the 95 F weather today to weed and mulch. Lots of work ahead of you, but I'm sure you will have a great season, Rick. Carry on!

Thanks for all the encouragement! I'll keep after it and catch up pretty soon.

While I finished up hardening off the peppers, I took the opportunity to clear some of the bean rows and get some seeds in the ground. Here's what I planted:

Beans 1.JPG

I still have eight more trellises to clear and plant, but they will wait until after peppers/tomatoes get in the ground. I'll probably plant bush beans on these other eight because they don't take as long as pole beans. Of course I HATE bush beans – they kill my back to pick.

Boy, sure seems like I HATE a lot of sh!t this year lol. It's all good lol.

Back