• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Downriver - 2021

Well, I hear tell it's (past) time to start a Glog, so why not give it a try. I've been on here for years and always enjoyed reading them. So, I thought it might be fun to write one for a change...or not? lol

Anyway, for this year's grow, I came up with a few themes. First, I'm participating in a couple of the THP grows, namely the Growdown Throwdown and the P. Dreadie SB grow. I'm doing a Bhut grow and a Jalapeno grow. I've already had some successful seed pops. Left half - Chinense, right half everything else (three weeks later). Needing some potting up.

IMG_20210318_163553148~2.jpg

Also, I'm attempting to do an “old seed” re-stock. I'm going back to the original seed I received many years ago from folks and try to isolate and produce new seed stock. They have to germinate first of course, lol.

IMG_20210228_165614052 r.jpg

Then, there's starting tomatoes April 01, but I need to finish up the pepper starts first. More on toms later.

So, here's the players this season (hopefully):

Chinense
Chinense.JPG

+1, CaneDog!
The indoor aphid infestations are the devil's torment.
I had my turn last season. First time in 10 seasons,
and I hope it never happens again. The effects were
evident and long lasting in my 2020 grow.

DownRiver said:
Thanks for all the encouragement! I'll keep after it and catch up pretty soon.
I'm confident in your future success, DR!

Boy, sure seems like I HATE a lot of sh!t this year lol. It's all good lol.
:rofl: That last statement just cracked me up, buddy!

CaneDog said:
...Aphids in your indoor starter plants is the worst.  

PaulG said:
...The indoor aphid infestations are the devil's torment.

No doubt about that. Here's the "tombstones" of just some that I lost. Sad.

IMG_20210627_121559148.jpg

(I counted them just for grins - 64)

So, after aphid hell, the plague hit me. As you may recall, I had moved all the plants outside to start hardening off. It commenced to rain (hard) almost every day. Then the temps dropped into the 40's at night.

IMG_20210611_172938743~2.jpg

As a result, here comes the disease.

IMG_20210610_132013591~2.jpg

IMG_20210610_131656708~2.jpg

I got no idea what it is – never seen it before. Probably 30% of the plants contracted it. I did some research but didn't come up with a definitive diagnosis. I noticed that it didn't appear to be spreading to the new growth at the growth tips, so I decided to wait for sunshine and warmer temps and see if they grew out of it. It appears that worked. I actually didn't lose a single plant to this stuff, just a bunch of leaves. Onward!

Your leaf disease is likely a form of Alternaria, or something quite similar.. I've seen a lot of it here too! The main thing is just removing/controlling the infected material so you don't have it spread by splash or work into the stems. Once it gets in the stems, it can be grim. The growing "target-style" patterns with a halo are pretty characteristic of these types of fungal pathogens. 
I've seen more than a fair share of similar stuff around here this year.. Including most of the plants I ordered in from afar. 
Great year for fungus..

CaneDog said:
That looks awesome, DR.  Way to hang in there until nature started cooperating.

What are you planning to trellis on the remesh?

Thanks CD. It's over 100F these days and I'm sweating my azz off, but we're having FUN now!

The remesh is actually a cattle panel I just have leaning against the fence posts right now. I'm getting ready to put it in place and run cukes up it.

CraftyFox said:
Your leaf disease is likely a form of Alternaria, or something quite similar...

Thanks CF. Alternaria is actually what I thought it was as well. I had this stuff and was gonna treat the plants with it, but they seemed to be overcoming it so I didn't.

IMG_20210610_142022281.jpg

They're planted in the garden now and seem to be fine. Perhaps another bullet dodged.

So, let's move on to the next challenge, shall we?

Went down to the garden last week and found some damage – some pepper plants eaten! It also nailed some of the beans.

IMG_20210626_154850270~2.jpg

IMG_20210623_143800710.jpg

I thought it was deer jumping the electric fence, as they had a few times in past years. So, I added a fourth hot wire around entire garden. Everything was fine for a couple of days, then this. Wiped out 6 of 8 pepper plants, including all but one of my favorite peppers – Paper Lantern Habanero. WTF?

IMG_20210628_083109757 2.jpg

This one also stung a bit.

IMG_20210628_083135676~2.jpg

More pain – 9 or 10 destroyed out of a 15 plant row.

IMG_20210702_150938659 2.jpg

So, I decided to set up a trail cam and try to catch a glimpse. Bingo.

VIDEO - oops can't upload one of those I guess. Just imagine a RABBIT run into view, followed by ANOTHER RABBIT 10 seconds later! So, there's my garden foe.

I have the low wire on the electric fence at 6-7 inches from the ground, so I doubt they are going under it - they must be jumping over it. Second wire is at 18 inches, so they have a 12 inch gap to jump through. Who knew? And yes, the fence is working. Damn thing bites me every time I look at it lol!

So, now I know WHAT I'm fighting. Now it's time for my counter-attack! Stay tuned, hahaha!

DownRiver said:
So, I decided to set up a trail cam and try to catch a glimpse. Bingo.

VIDEO - oops can't upload one of those I guess. Just imagine a RABBIT run into view, followed by ANOTHER RABBIT 10 seconds later! So, there's my garden foe.

I have the low wire on the electric fence at 6-7 inches from the ground, so I doubt they are going under it - they must be jumping over it. Second wire is at 18 inches, so they have a 12 inch gap to jump through. Who knew? And yes, the fence is working. Damn thing bites me every time I look at it lol!

So, now I know WHAT I'm fighting. Now it's time for my counter-attack! Stay tuned, hahaha!
Grrrr Rabbit Stew!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Back