• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Downriver 2022 - Garden Adventures

This tomato is Olga's Round Yellow Chicken. This is an heirloom from Siberia, Now I agree, it is round. It's NOT yellow (it's orange) and I have no idea what it's got to do with a chicken lol. But, checking around, this is what it's supposed to look like. Good flavor. Nice tomato!

Tomato - Olgas Rnd Yellow Chicken IMG_20220902_155154923.jpg Tomato - Olgas Rnd Yellow Chicken IMG_20220827_130216855 - Copy.jpg Tomato - Olgas Rnd Yellow Chicken IMG_20220827_130256700 - Copy.jpg

And of course, you haven't had a tomato until you've eaten a 'Jersey tomato. Just ask anyone from New Jersey lol. Although forever debatable, most folks think it is none other than......

Rutger's! Great tasting tomato.

Tomato - Rutgers IMG_20220827_130955388 - Copy.jpg Tomato - Rutgers IMG_20220827_131054069 - Copy.jpg

Hey DR. Did you get the sponge gourd planted late or was it just that slow for you? I was given some seeds before this season, but I didn't plant them because my space for cucurbits is limited. If they produce late for you in VA, you could probably add "in Hell" to the name of mine here in the northwest.

Too bad tomato season has reached it's end. Seems like it was a good one for you though, and it's always cool to see the varieties you grow.

Hey DR. Did you get the sponge gourd planted late or was it just that slow for you? I was given some seeds before this season, but I didn't plant them because my space for cucurbits is limited. If they produce late for you in VA, you could probably add "in Hell" to the name of mine here in the northwest.

Too bad tomato season has reached it's end. Seems like it was a good one for you though, and it's always cool to see the varieties you grow.

Yeah CD, I just planted them late. I was germ testing the seeds and couldn't bring myself to throw the sprout away. So, I planted it around Aug 1st on an expired bean trellis just for shitz & giggles. :lol: I didn't expect any fruit to ripen, but it good to know it wants to.

Re tomatoes, yeah, all-in-all we had a pretty good year, all things considered. I'm always looking for that next great tomato, while continuing to grow my favorites. Kinda the same philosophy with peppers!

Those are some nice tomatoes!
You ever grow those currant tomatoes? I forget the species name, but they aren't the same species as most tomatoes. Supposed to be disease resistant and blah, blah, blah.. Just curious what your take was on them, if you've ever grown them. We grew the white one this year and found them a total disappointment. Maybe we just had an off lot.

Those are some nice tomatoes!
You ever grow those currant tomatoes?...

Thanks CF. No, I haven't tried growing currants, and I don't really know why. But, with your review, I'm not sure I'm ever gonna try lol.

Thanks CF. No, I haven't tried growing currants, and I don't really know why. But, with your review, I'm not sure I'm ever gonna try lol.
I was chatting with a friend locally who grew the red currant and had one of my whites and she said the white wasn't true and that the red was one of their favorites.. :think: So maybe don't write them off based on mine. I'm definitely going to learn more about them before I try them again.

As I said elsewhere, we had a FREEZE warning issued for the night of 10/08. Thankfully the peppers survived, but a few things did not. The okra, summer squash, and winter squash got bit, so their season is done.

Summer Squash
Squash - Summer IMG_20221010_162305402_HDR.jpg
Okra
Okra - AfricanX IMG_20221010_162423827_HDR.jpg

...and the Fall clean-up has been postponed until Spring '23, ha!

I think it's time to close this Glog out. Thanks to all who followed along. As a way of saying thank you, I've decided to do a simple seed giveaway to those who qualify*. I collect seeds for most everything I grow. If there's something in this Glog that interests you, just send me a PM. If I've got extra seeds, they're yours. No postage required. First come, first served. Keep in mind these seeds will be open pollinated / non-isolated. Crosses are always possible, but historically are not very common in my garden. See below to see if you qualify.

Hopefully we can do this again next Season!

Thanks for reading!

*Ways to qualify for free seed offer

1) If you posted a comment in this Glog PRIOR to this one. Thanks for your support!

OR

2) If you are currently a THP Extreme Member. Doesn't matter when you became one. Consider this offer a perk (from me) for supporting the Forum.

OR

3) As of this post, you must have been a member on The Hot Pepper for at least 3 months and have at least 50 posts to the forums. If you have not been on THP for 3 months or more and with at least 50 posts, then have a member with 6 months or more experience vouch for you.

Note: I will be making this offer in my Pepper Glog as well. Give it a look!

...and the Fall clean-up has been postponed until Spring '23, ha!
If we just had a couple good stretches of sunny 80's in November this would never happen to me! Probably...

Thanks for the ride, DR. And if I can sneak in one more question for your glog, what was your verdict on the amarylla tomatillo? Were you able to put them to good use and do you plan to grow them again?

Last edited:
... what was your verdict on the amarylla tomatillo? Were you able to put them to good use and do you plan to grow them again?

Well, I would say they taste a little sweeter, more mellow, less tangy than the green ones. They still taste like a tomatillo though. I like 'em! And, they made a great salsa, which I canned for later consumption. And yes, I will grow them again!

Back