DR Pepper BBQ steak!

Not building an island, just buying a grill.

All of the charcoal grills that i have eaten off of have given the meat a rather odd taste, comparable to DR Pepper..

thehotpepper.com said:
I'll probably be getting a thick gauge steel barrel design with an offset firebox. Smoke or grill and plenty of real estate.

Check out Klose.....very nice...I ordered his catalog...I got an email with all the different grills and then a few day later a CD was in my mail box and thats his catalog...He does some very nice work...Real good quality!

Check this BAD BOY out!!!!!:

20x42_masterchef2009.jpg

Dyce51 said:
Check out Klose.....very nice...I ordered his catalog...I got an email with all the different grills and then a few day later a CD was in my mail box and thats his catalog...He does some very nice work...Real good quality!

Check this BAD BOY out!!!!!:

20x42_masterchef2009.jpg
Now that's a freaking GRILL :)

imaguitargod said:
I marinate anywhere from 2 hours to 4 days...but that's b/c I throw alcohol into the marinade ;)
I didn't put alcohol in it so tomorrw afternoon I'll have it for lunch

Well I've promised I would post pictures.

I hope you enjoy them and get inspired!

By the way the steak was A KILLER success :) "and very hot in heat probably in heat lvl 3-4"

The searing.
484020530_mHZPw-M.jpg

The Smoking.
484020491_YUfx7-M.jpg

End game.
484020586_MdwFM-M.jpg

chilehunter said:
ok that was funny!

marinating most times is only for a couple days, not a week. 1 week is pushing it!

whats with you & dr.pepper ?

If your marinating sauce is acidic you should only let it marinate for an hour or two as the acidity in the marinade will start to cook the meat.

millworkman said:
SO, how was it?
It was superb!

ExtremeBurn said:
If your marinating sauce is acidic you should only let it marinate for an hour or two as the acidity in the marinade will start to cook the meat.
Anyways as you seen I didn't wait a week remembering a myth busters episode :)

So I cooked it and ate it last night!

ExtremeBurn said:

I did not know this about acidic liquids. thanks for sharing this info!
my post you quoted was me stating 2 days is plenty for marinating most things, though you dont have to go that long & I wouldnt go beyond 2 days either unless for something that might require it (though I dont know what)
not all marinations are acidic.

even if the marination was acidic, this being me, I would still marinate it longer that 1 hour. I dont think in 1 hour the flavors can penetrate the meat enough.
& wouldnt the acid also kill the bacteria ? (if any formed)
& if not, cooking would IMO.

phat - the steak looks so so.
thats the best I can say cuz I know it was marinated w/ dr.pepper, heck in the pic it looks like its carmelized in dr.pepper!

I have to be honest, the marinde looks like it turned to burnt tar, and the steak is sitting in cooking oil on the plate, not my kind of steak but glad you like it.

chilehunter said:
my post you quoted was me stating 2 days is plenty for marinating most things, though you dont have to go that long & I wouldnt go beyond 2 days either unless for something that might require it (though I dont know what)

even if the marination was acidic, this being me, I would still marinate it longer that 1 hour. I dont think in 1 hour the flavors can penetrate the meat enough.

It doesn't really hurt anything to marinate it longer... it just starts cookin the meat and has no real benefit beyond a certain point. It's just the chemist coming out in me haha. I do marinate longer than an hour usually as well, but with some marinades there isn't any benefit in goin much longer than that, and then of course others which aren't as acidic, you can obviously and should marinate much longer. In meats, the acid causes the tissue to break down, allowing more moisture to be absorbed and giving a juicier end product. However, too much acid can be detrimental to the end product. A good marinade will have a delicate balance of spices, acids, and oil.

chilehunter said:

Hey Hey ChileHunter!

I didn't know you were a chemist?

PhatManDerek said:
I didn't know you were a chemist?

Yep... I got my undergrad at Michigan State and my Masters at U of M. I supervise a quality assurance chem lab and have 15 chemists that report to me. I hardly ever do lab work anymore, but sometimes I get in there and get my hands dirty. lol

chilehunter said:
phat - the steak looks so so.
thats the best I can say cuz I know it was marinated w/ dr.pepper, heck in the pic it looks like its carmelized in dr.pepper!

thehotpepper.com said:
I have to be honest, the marinde looks like it turned to burnt tar, and the steak is sitting in cooking oil on the plate, not my kind of steak but glad you like it.
You guys are right cooking it in the iron skillet did carmalize the suger in the dr pepper, but it was still awesome.

And it had a good amount of heat too it.

By the way ChileHunter, I wanted to go to college to become a chemist for different reasons LOL. but I would have to have 8 math classes just before I could get into chem class.

acidic marinades can and will slightly cook but in that you will find it will tenderise a bit as well.
That Dr Pepper marinade and steak seems a interesting mix, maybe try a little gamier meat with that particuliar marinade, like deer.

Back