• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Dragon49's 2012 Grow Log

I haven't sprouted anything yet, but am so excited about the upcoming season that I wanted to start a thread. I'm going to sprout close to 20 seeds sometime before the end of the month.

The season has officially started! I planted one seed: An Aji Russian Yellow. I purchased it in July of 2011 from semillas.de.

Before I post the pics, I will state that I am aware that sprouting in potting soil is not recommended. I have have been sprouting in potting soil for years. I'm sure that I would get a better germination percentage with a different method, but I don't care. I have lots of small pots and it is easy for me to buy potting soil from a local nursery. I don't remember my overall germination percentage, but it has been good enough for me. Why don't we use this glog as an experiment to see how well this method works. Before we do, we need to define how long a non sprouting seed officially counts as a failed germination effort. Can some of the more experienced growers comment on this. I'm going to suggest 30 days.

First pics:

DSCN0490.jpg

DSCN0489.jpg

Two More:

The one on the left is an Aji Cristal that I got from redtailforester in April of 2011. The one on the right is an Aji Cerezo that I got from dudethatsbad in June of 2011.

DSCN0491.jpg

Hi Alpha,

Thanks for the support. I'm probably not going to attempt any Capsicum chinense this year. Remember the Bahamian Goat wasting garden space last year.

Here are 2 more: The one on the left is a Po Cheong that I got from redtailforester in 2011. The one on the right is an open pollinated Bode Amarillo from my garden last year. It either bred true or crossed with one of my Superchile's. If it produces pods, we'll find out.

DSCN0492.jpg

It's Superchile time. For those of you who don't know me, a few years ago figured out that Superchiles grow well in my crappy zone. Instead of buying new seeds, I keep growing new generations as it is fun to collect the seeds and see what happens. Last season, I separated seeds from F2 Plants with different characteristics. The separation may have been a complete waste, as the different plants were all near each other and I literally watched the bees cross pollinate everything.

Anyway, last years F2's produced 3 different types of pods. The most common plant had the same characteristics as the original F1 Hybrids. The first row of 4 are from seeds of these pods. Only one of the F2's produced a plant with long cayenne type pods. These were around 50,000 scovilles, at least 20,000 more scovilles than normal Superchile's. It was a weird plant, very tall, and split off into two parts from a low Y shaped branch. It didn't produce a lot of pods. The back row of two has seeds from these pods. Last Year's F2's also produced a few plants with F1 like pods, but shorter, and took a full 3 months to mature red,as opposed to the F1 characteristic pods which mature in 50 - 60 days. I saved these seeds as well, as I like to collect, but would not want any of them to grow true, so I will not be sprouting any of those this season:

DSCN0493.jpg

2 more:

The one on the left is an open pollinated bode amarillo. The one on the right is an F3 open pollinated superchile with F1 characteristics .

DSCN0494.jpg

Ok, buddy, things are starting to happen now! You'll have sprouts
all over the place - good luck getting your grow off the ground!

Paul,

Thanks for the comment. I do have to confess thought that I posted 7 pictures of 1 sprout. I have 17 other pots filled with dirt and unsprouted seeds.

Three more starters:

The one on the left is another F3 superchile with F1 characteristics. The one in the middle is an Ata Ijosi from semillas.de. The one on the right is another aji cerezo from dudethatsbad. I don't have a lot of confidence in two of these. It would be fun to grow an Ata Ijosi, but I suspect I will not be able to provide the right kind of growing environment for a Nigerian Bird Pepper. I'd also like to be able to grow dedethatsbad's Uncles pepper from seeds he brought back from Peru, but the seeds are looking sad. We'll find out:

DSCN0505.jpg

One the of Aji Cerazo's sprouted this morning. I'll post pics in a day or so, as right now the green is barely peeking out of the soil.

Two more. The one on the left is another F3 Superchile with F1 Characteristics. The one on the right is another Aji Russian Yellow from semillas.de.

DSCN0506.jpg

Back