• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Dragon49's 2013 Grow Log

2013 Chile Pepper Grow Log:

My normal season begins in the middle of March, as I sprout 2 months before planting out in the garden. I’m dying to grow a superhot, but I have had 0% success in growing Capsicum chinense outside. A number of other factors prevent me from growing superhots in the garden.

I’ve decided on a small indoor only grow. A co-worker beekeeper jokingly offered to bring some bees into my apartment to pollinate, but I declined. If this works, I’ll have to expand my gardening skill set and figure out how to hand pollinate. I’ll also have to upgrade my lighting, as I’ve been told that my 54 watt T-3 florescent, while good enough to start seedlings, is not strong enough to get the plants to produce fruit.

Here we go. I’ve decided to sprout a Red Moruga Scorpion:

DSCN0752_zpsb22dc54d.jpg

DSCN0750_zps6e72fdf4.jpg

your looking good.  nice harvest.  I am trying to catch up with things.  You didnt label your plants so I didnt know what was what but I love the look of those bumpy pods.  Are they brain strains or reapers or what?  Sorry if i missed the labels or forgot.  OH are those the morougas?  Anyways great grow.

Sanarda said:
your looking good.  nice harvest.  I am trying to catch up with things.  You didnt label your plants so I didnt know what was what but I love the look of those bumpy pods.  Are they brain strains or reapers or what?  Sorry if i missed the labels or forgot.  OH are those the morougas?  Anyways great grow.
The bumpy pods are from the indoor plant on the right, which is a Trinidad Moruga Scorpion. The indoor plant on the left is an Aji Cereza Cross. It is probably a cross between an Aji Cereza and a Bode Amarela. I will know more if it ever pods.

The outdoor peppers are all F4 Superchiles. I've been saving Superchile seeds that are all descendants from some Superchile plants that I purchased in 2010. Here are some Superchile pods that were recently picked:

The Trinidad Moruga Scorpion is looking better and showing signs of better health, as some new flowers are developing.  It still only has two pods, although I am unable to find the newer, smaller one.  I am reasonably sure that if it fell off, I would have noticed.

The Cereza Cross is back to having tons of flowers, but no pods yet.  I'm hoping to get some from my fan and hand pollination.

The older, bigger Trinidad Moruga Scorpion pod is finally starting to turn color:

The much newer Trinidad Moruga Scorpion pod is much smaller, but it is almost fully red.  It is hard to get a good pic:

Portuge said:
Thats a nice harvest... Salsa time...
Thanks,

I've made sauce before with the Superchiles, but never salsa.  I kept 11 of the peppers out, as I eat them whole with meals.  After deseeding to save for next years crop and for my collection, the rest I put into my dehydrator at the lowest (95f) setting.  They should be ready in 3 to 4 days

I finally picked a ripe Trinidad Moruga Scorpion Pod!  Superhots have a reputation for taking a long time to grow.  I need to confirm this.  This sprouted on January 18th, so it too 204 days to produce a ripe pod!  WOW! 

I transplanted it into its final home—a 5 gallon bucket, on March 8th.  If we are counting these days, then it is 155.  Either way, it is a SLOW grower.

This plant is interesting, as there is a second pod on the plant, not more than 1 week away from ripening, but that pod is completely different than this one!  This is a tiny round pod, coming in at .006 oz.  The second Pod is much larger, with a “Brain Strain” look.

I just picked the second Pod from my indoor Trinidad Moruga Scorpion Plant.  This one is much larger than the first and has "Brain Strain" like qualities.

Back