• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Dragon49's 2014 Grow Log

It’s time for the 2014 Chile Pepper Grow Log!  This year, I’ve decided to go with the “normal” F1 Superchiles.  It has been a ton of fun growing from my own saved Superchile seeds year after year, but last season I had too many “runty” plants that did not produce well.  I’m of course keeping all of my seeds.  I’m also going to sprout a few Aji Cereza’s.  These are from Peter Merle:

http://thehotpepper.com/user/6297-semillas/

dragon49 said:
I just took Neil's advice (http://www.thehippyseedcompany.com/) and sprayed the leaves of my big plants with whole milk as a calcium supplement. He posted that if your plants have a lot of flowers that don't produce pods, this indicates a calcium deficiency and he proposed the sprayed milk as a solution.  I had this problem with my last indoor grow. Hopefully this will resolve the issue and get me tons of pods. :)

Whats the outcome of this? Was it effective and if yes to what extent?

Chilima said:

Whats the outcome of this? Was it effective and if yes to what extent?
So far not going to well, but am hoping it is too early to tell.  My most mature plant, the Impact F2 has tons of flowers, but only 1 pod.

Yup - Impact F2 - Bhut Jolokia X C. Galapagoense

I expect it to be fully ripe by sometime mid next week the latest.  The ripening pattern is interesting:  With all other Superhots (maybe other's as well, but I can't remember) I've grown, they changed color around the entire top first, then the color would spread downward until it reached the bottom, then it got darker until fully ripe.  If you scroll two posts up, you will see a different pattern:  The color change was a broken vertical stripe covering a good portion of part of the Chile. Then it started spreading vertically while finishing the downward pattern.  It looks like half the Pepper is still mostly green.  I'm assuming this is supposed to ripen a deep red and not a heavy orange or light red, so I'll give it time.

I'll be sure to link to my YouTube review as soon as I post it!  

Ok, nice.  I grew them out a while back.  They were simply bhuts and grew stable for a couple of generations, still have seed, just haven't been growing it...

Spicegeist said:
Ok, nice.  I grew them out a while back.  They were simply bhuts and grew stable for a couple of generations, still have seed, just haven't been growing it...
I assume by stating, "They were simply bhuts," you mean that they have the heat and flavor of normal red bhuts and it is hard to identify any C. Galapagoense characteristics in the pods.  I'd be a little disappointed if that is the case with mine, but it is not such a big deal.  I wish I could remember where I bought or traded these seeds from.  I've never grown red bhuts before but I think they are supposed to look like my pod.  I have eaten many though, so I know what the taste and heat level are supposed to be - so we'll soon find out more. :)

dragon49 said:
I assume by stating, "They were simply bhuts," you mean that they have the heat and flavor of normal red bhuts and it is hard to identify any C. Galapagoense characteristics in the pods.  I'd be a little disappointed if that is the case with mine, but it is not such a big deal.  I wish I could remember where I bought or traded these seeds from.  I've never grown red bhuts before but I think they are supposed to look like my pod.  I have eaten many though, so I know what the taste and heat level are supposed to be - so we'll soon find out more. :)

Yes, I don't think it was an actual cross because mine grew true for a couple of generations and every plant had 100% C. chinense traits, with no C. galapagoense characteristics.  My pods looked different from yours though.  Here, check this out:
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/30869-anyone-have-any-experience-with-vlads-impact-chili/?p=702219

Back