• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Dragon49's 2014 Grow Log

It’s time for the 2014 Chile Pepper Grow Log!  This year, I’ve decided to go with the “normal” F1 Superchiles.  It has been a ton of fun growing from my own saved Superchile seeds year after year, but last season I had too many “runty” plants that did not produce well.  I’m of course keeping all of my seeds.  I’m also going to sprout a few Aji Cereza’s.  These are from Peter Merle:

http://thehotpepper.com/user/6297-semillas/

To be accurate, I need to call the plant:

Pimente de Neyde x Bhut Jolokia F7 (possibly crossed (I hope not) in the previous generation.  I saved seed from the F6, but the vendor tells me that the plant wasn't isolated, so not 100% sure what it will produce. 

I cancelled my order for the second grow light and figured out how to get three buckets under my existing florescent.  I’m not sure how well this setup will work out when the plants get taller and start growing vertically out of the buckets, but it is good for now.  The one on the left is my Brazilian Ghost which I just transplanted.

Missed a lot of your grow, but looks great at this point!  You have some great
varieties going there, and some nice strains established.

PaulG said:
Missed a lot of your grow, but looks great at this point!  You have some great
varieties going there, and some nice strains established.
Paul,

Good to hear from you.

I'm making the most of a city apartment and having a lot of fun with the new indoor grow.  I just purchased six of these to get more light on the side and bottom leaves.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/EcoSmart-42-Watt-150W-Soft-White-CFL-Light-Bulb-1-Pack-E-ES5M842/202067799

This is a fun grow and I'm looking forward to the results.  The plant in the middle is my either mystery cross of mislabeled yellow superhot, which is now an F2 and may be further crossed with a TSMB as the parent plant grew literally right next to a TSMB.  The one on the right is an Impact F2 - a cross between a Bhut and C. Galapagoense.  The plant in the small clay pot to the left of the buckets is an Pimente de Neyde x Bhut Jolokia F7.  Unless I buy another hanging 4 bulb light and add to my monthly electric bill even more, I'll have to nurse this one until next May when I can transplant it outside. 

All right - some new light for the box!  Plants should like that.

1968dart said:
Have you heard of the 4 inch rule as it pertains to repoting?
No,

I'm assuming this means not to transplant anything if it is less than 4 inches tall.  If so, I've violated this rule a few time and have gotten away with it.  I've never had a transplant not make it.

That rocks, buddy!  Should give those starts a real boost!

You might have to restrain them to keep them from taking over!

PaulG said:
That rocks, buddy!  Should give those starts a real boost!

You might have to restrain them to keep them from taking over!
It's easy to get lots of vegetative growth—Harder to get flowers with pollen that turn into pods.  I have more "starts" that I plan on keeping around until next May when they'll go out in the garden, but I plan on keeping these three inside for a dedicated indoor grow.  Wish me luck!

Ty

Back