• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

overwintering Drastic Cutback Overwintering...

Hey guys I decided to pull up the 4 chili plants from my garden today so I can overwinter them. It has started to get colder and even though I still have a little while before frost comes I figured I would just play it safe and do it today. I decided to try the cutback method and put them in my basement. I am expecting them to die but I figured what the heck I would try it anyway. I gave them what I thought was a little water but when I went down to take a picture the one saucer had water on it so I might have to put them back outside for a few hours to dry out. Well anyway here is the link...

http://s520.photobucket.com/albums/w328/josh9404/Drastic Cutback Overwintering/

Also, while I was harvesting all the peppers from the plants I came across a few abnormalities like you guys have posted in the past.

http://s520.photobucket.com/albums/w328/josh9404/Mutants/

I will be sure to update everyone on the progress of the plants in the spring.

Josh,

I checked my plants and combined with a severe drought and cool temps, they seems to be barely surviving. They are in pots but I'm seriously thinking about cutting the ones I want to keep and don't have pods on them back to stubs now. That would allow me to heavily spray some good insecticide (that stinks worse than a skunk) and kill all the insects while allowding the odor to dissipate over the next week or so. Then when the frost is forecast, all I need to do is bring them in.

Mike

When you cut back do you always do it so drastically ? I kind of thought there needed to be a few leaves.

P. Dreadie

Josh...those look like the orange hab I cutback last year...I cut it back to nubs just like you did and it is the most prolific plant I have this year...2nd year plants rock...

AJ seems to have answered my question.

I'm going to ask this at some point so I might as well kick it out now. Would a cutting do pretty much the same thing? Give you a more prolific plant and produce better.

P. Dreadie

personally, I have never started cuttings so I can't answer that but there are lots of others on here that can...

IMO, cuttings are an advantage for two reasons, one is there are no seed starting trials and tribulations and two, it assures purity of strain...

With my irreplaceable hybrids I overwinter as well as take cuttings to ensure survival or the species but its not always as easy as it sounds.
Personally I'd be cutting back the roots Josh or they'll have no room to grow.

Never did ask you POTAWIE what do you use to keep your large tunnel
Warm through your harsh winter..I no you close of an area,Put what heat source do you keep in there parscene heater ? :)

I can't afford to heat in the fall or winter but in the spring I have a woodstove and some propane heaters.

wordwiz said:
Josh,

I checked my plants and combined with a severe drought and cool temps, they seems to be barely surviving. They are in pots but I'm seriously thinking about cutting the ones I want to keep and don't have pods on them back to stubs now. That would allow me to heavily spray some good insecticide (that stinks worse than a skunk) and kill all the insects while allowding the odor to dissipate over the next week or so. Then when the frost is forecast, all I need to do is bring them in.

Mike
Sounds good. This is my first time trying this so I am curious to see how they turn out.

skealo said:
I'm also planning on the severe cutback plan.

Do you plan on getting them any sun?
Very little. Trying that somewhat dormant method. There is a small window nearby, but they will get very little light. I'm trying this because the basement is the only place I can keep them so if it works then I will do it again with the plants I grown next year but if not oh well.

P. Dreadie said:
When you cut back do you always do it so drastically ? I kind of thought there needed to be a few leaves.

P. Dreadie
First time trying so I guess I will find out. I have seen in other posts and on a couple other sites people but it back to the nub like this and it explode with growth in the spring. I will certainly update everyone on the results.

AlabamaJack said:
Josh...those look like the orange hab I cutback last year...I cut it back to nubs just like you did and it is the most prolific plant I have this year...2nd year plants rock...
Yea I remember seeing pics of that plant. I hope mine does even half as well next season. That is if it survives.

P. Dreadie said:
AJ seems to have answered my question.

I'm going to ask this at some point so I might as well kick it out now. Would a cutting do pretty much the same thing? Give you a more prolific plant and produce better.

P. Dreadie
No clue.

POTAWIE said:
With my irreplaceable hybrids I overwinter as well as take cuttings to ensure survival or the species but its not always as easy as it sounds.
Personally I'd be cutting back the roots Josh or they'll have no room to grow.
Cut the roots back already but thanks for the heads up. I probably should have taken some pictures of them not in dirt. It would have been more dramatic for a comparison if they do grow again next season but oh well.

AlabamaJack said:

AJ,

When you cut it back that drastically what type of care do you have to give the plant during the winter? Does it need light...fertilizer...much water? Does it become dormant or does it start growing new shoots indoors? And, if not, what triggers it to start growing again?

Thanks!

I don't think pepper plants can actually go dormant but if you give them very little light they will grow very slowly or you can grow them under light all winter if you have the lights and space.

PrairieChilihead said:
AJ,

When you cut it back that drastically what type of care do you have to give the plant during the winter? Does it need light...fertilizer...much water? Does it become dormant or does it start growing new shoots indoors? And, if not, what triggers it to start growing again?

Thanks!

I actually grew mine thru the winter PC...I built a 4' X 4' grow box that was 6' tall inside, put 4 dual fluorescent shoplights in it and had mylar coating all surfaces inside. I put four 150 watt halogen bulbs for heat in the top four corners that had the power run thru a cheap (read 5 dollars) thermostat I got at home depot and kept the box at 86F constant until I moved the plant out...it was busting with buds and flowers but no fruit...it started setting fruit the first or second week I put it out in April...as far as fertilize goes, I used botanicare pro gro formula in the water and they got fed everytime I watered (recommended by botanicare)...worked well but I had to watch for the nasties...

Back