• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

overwintering Drastic Cutback Overwintering...

Pam said:

lostmind said:
oi, I foresee a neem oil purchase in your near future! Safers soap too just to be sure!

Yup, looked like it might have gotten a little too cool down there for the aphids as most looked dead to me. Either that or they didn't like the taste of Chocolate Habanero. :shocked: I picked the few pods left and did a serious cutback on the plant. I'm going to purchase the Safers soap tomorrow just in case they show up elsewhere. Thanks for the help guys - the warm weather is coming.

Aphids don't move around very much even in warm weather, they mostly just sit there and suck juices.

Pam said:
Aphids don't move around very much even in warm weather, they mostly just sit there and suck juices.

Well, they suck all they want out there in the snow now. :) (that's where I chucked the clippings) Thanks for identifying them for me. Now I know what to look for.

Look at my new little friend

3209887683_8643416ec9.jpg

Checked my Chocolate Hab this morning - the one with the aphids. It got cut back 3 days ago and is looking healthy right now. No sign of aphids and it is already starting some new growth. Ordered a small bottle of Neem oil for the future. None of the other plants show any evidence of aphids. I had a Chocolate Hab last winter that died and I'm thinking aphids may have got it. I didn't know anything about cutting back or overwintering last year and should have a bunch more survive this time around.

bigt said:
Checked my Chocolate Hab this morning - the one with the aphids. It got cut back 3 days ago and is looking healthy right now. No sign of aphids and it is already starting some new growth. Ordered a small bottle of Neem oil for the future. None of the other plants show any evidence of aphids. I had a Chocolate Hab last winter that died and I'm thinking aphids may have got it. I didn't know anything about cutting back or overwintering last year and should have a bunch more survive this time around.

Glad to hear your battle with the aphids is going well.

POTAWIE said:
I've had aphids bad already but I isolated and/or destroyed the problem plants, I hope.

Here's my overwintered fatalii again. Its growing nicely, and isn't as yellow as it looks, but I don't have room to let it get too big unfortunately
3207415316_57b8d6b2db.jpg

Potawie,

Are you keeping your plants where they can get light? I just watered mine (do it every other week, once a month from the top and the other time from the bottom) and found a huge bloom on one. It is getting next to no light (1-2 lumens). If it has a pod on it in two weeks, I'm going to rethink this photoperiod thing!

Mike

Many of my overwintered plants are getting light now that I've brought them out of semi-dormancy. Personally I pull off most flowers and pods until mid spring(tonnes of them) to make for a stronger more productive plant, since pod development takes away a lot of the plant's energy

Here's my last 2 plants to come out of semi-dormancy, and they're showing some nice new growth

3263557641_6b67d14a0a.jpg

3265876427_7c1a8cafb6.jpg

Here's my monster Guadaloupe hab before I cut it back again to fit better under light.

3266729096_4fdb49a506.jpg

Looking good Potawie. I pulled one of my plants up from the basement on Thursday and I have not seen any new growth yet. The stem was still green so I expect something. How long did it take for yours to bounce back? Do you have yours under lights? I have mine in front of a window.

Mine started out just in front of a patio door, but now they get moved between the door(day) and the floro lights.

POTAWIE said:
Mine started out just in front of a patio door, but now they get moved between the door(day) and the floro lights.

Do you know approximately how long it took to sprout leaves? It should take mine longer without any lights at night but I am just curious. I just can't wait to see that first leaf to know it survived.

Most of mine only took 1-2 weeks with natural light, but the last couple took about a month before they had any real healthy growth

POTAWIE said:
Most of mine only took 1-2 weeks with natural light, but the last couple took about a month before they had any real healthy growth

Thanks. Hopefully I will see something in a week and a half but I will hold out as long as a month. After that I think it would be time to let it go.

millworkman said:
Mine managed only a couple days before I got good sized green leaves off some overwintered plants.

Well thanks for throwing that in my face. Hahaa I am just joking. This one actually may be done for. The other 2, which are still in my basement, grew a few tiny pale leaves here and there. It is still too early to give up yet.

I don't have an indoors to do dormant over-wintering, just a greenhouse to try and keep them as warm as possible.
I was experimenting with different amounts of pruning and I've found that leaving them too big just makes life more difficult. The only plants that produced any usable fruit were 2 jals and a greek. Everything else kept flowering in the warm spells and dying off when it got cold again. The new leaves are very cold sensitive too. I lost some new growth a few times.

This is my most drastic cutback. It's a jalapeno cut just above the first node and repotted into 1 gal container:

S6307246.jpg

Yes, that's a flower. :cool:
c.

Here's one of my two Manzano reds seeing the light of day after a tough winter in the basement. Both survived, but this made pods all winter and has a huge ripe one on it now ready to be picked. It's in a 5 gallon container. My other survivors (at least I think they made it at this point) are 3 Jalapenos, 2 Chocolate Habs, 2 Japones, 1 Hawaiian Sweet Hot, 1 NUMEX Big Jim and 1 White Bullet. Looks like the only fatalities were a white and a gold bullet. (they are stumps and I think root rot got them - probably too much water) All in all, I think the plants really liked that corner with a lot of natural light. In spite of some vicious aphid attacks fought with Neem oil & Safer Soap, I had a much better success rate than last year. It's going to be a tough decision this year what to keep as I have way too many plants and can't keep them all. Decisions, decisions - I have all summer and then some to make up my mind.
3335414912_3b584e78ee_b.jpg

Back