• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Drosophyllum Rising

I had a chance to try Drosophyllum lusitanicum aka the dewy pine or Portuguese Sundew from seed, another carnivorous plant i'd like to add to my collection.

This is a pic of the first one to germinate.

IMG_0621-drosophyllum.jpg

A few days later it had grown a bit more...

IMG_0673-Drosophyllum.jpg

Today i hand fed the largest seedling some springtails...hope it doesn't get indigestion from this appetizer... ;)

IMG_0927-Drosophyllum.jpg

It's interesting how these seedlings tend to escape from their seeds, almost in a Harry Houdini-like manner.

They send down their radical root and then with their two cotyledon leaves still 'handcuffed' inside the seed, they work on freeing their true leaves.

IMG_0966-Drosophyllum.jpg

It almost looks like a green alien trying to extricate its octipus-like tentacle while its arms are still caught in its space pod...obviously a very adept contortionist with this maneuver.

IMG_0994-Drosopyllum-lusitanicum.jpg

Here is the second largest seedling, with it's arms still caught in the pod.

IMG_0943-Drosophyllum.jpg

Once those arms are free, you bugs better beware, cuz it'll only have eyes for you...

IMG_1012-bug-eating-alien.jpg

dvg

Thanks for the comments.

Wow that is amazing, plants with tentacles ... what is that medium they are sitting in? rocks?

PJ, that's a top layer of quartz sand, but underneath there is a mostly mineral mix of pumice, lava rock, silica sand, kanuma, akadama clay, chunky perlite and a tiny bit of peat.

dvg

That's a neat looking plant! How big do they get?

Hi Emu,

The leaves can grow from 8 to 16 inches in length, and though this plants has been reported to grow up to 5 feet tall in habitat, the usual height is probably only about 16 inches tall for this one.

Here is good link, if any of you are interested in doing a bit a more reading up on this rather unique carnivorous plant species...

http://bestcarnivorousplants.com/Drosophyllum_lusitanicum.htm

dvg

Very interesting! It's cool how it is one of the more successful carnivorous plants. It doesn't need any fancy water pot or spring-trap mechanism- it's just sticky. And 'slobbering pine' is the funniest nickname for a plant I've ever seen!

Thanks for sharing this interesting species with us. I have a question for you dvg since ive seen a couple of your threads with carnivorous plants, and i hope im not hijacking in any way.

I just got some seeds in the mail I bought on ebay, some succulents to be exact and there was an extra baggie labled D.Lanata. The only thing that pops up when i search is Drosera lanata. Does this species sound familiar?

Back