• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

preservation Drying peppers

Is a dehydrator even necessary to dry chillies? Apart from cost, is a natural drying any better / worse than a dehydrator?

It depends on your humidity. I only air or sun dry cayenne and thai type peppers which dry quickly since its quite humid here. Drying slowly at low temps is the way to go.

POTAWIE said:
It depends on your humidity. I only air or sun dry cayenne and thai type peppers which dry quickly since its quite humid here. Drying slowly at low temps is the way to go.
Even when it's terribly humid, they dry quite quickly.
I actually forgot a ripe JalapeƱo outside for over a week (oops), and it looks like it got slightly smoked or something... lol (not gonna eat it, but will keep it). they usually keep the bright red color.

semichipotle.jpg

I do find it takes an awfully long time drying some of the larger chiles, and considering purchasing a dehydrator.

Omri said:
Sun-drying is the only way to dry chiles.

Going to disagree with that. I've done it with and without a dehydrator huntsman and will go with from here on out. You can also do it in your oven.

With the dehydrator you have more control. If you have any humidity then trying to dry them in the sun is frustrating. They take forever, mold almost always shows up and there is no consistency in how the pods dry.

Maybe we can get a couple of the people who do a lot of drying to speak up here.

Not really. First you say sun drying is the only way then you say you're thinking about getting a dehydrator. You contradicted yourself.

patrick said:
Not really. First you say sun drying is the only way then you say you're thinking about getting a dehydrator. You contradicted yourself.
Again, I'm shocked... :neutral:

I recommended sun-drying as the best way to dry chiles, and in fact sun-drying gives the best results. as a matter of compromising, I'm thinking of using a dehydrator for the larger and thicker chiles.

I personally think slow drying at low temps away from the sun gives the best results, but that's just my opinion

Hot debate!

So... thinner walled and smaller chillies dried at low temps away from direct sun (unless your climate is humid), and a dehydrator for thicker walled and larger chillies...that about it?

Thanks, fellas! :)

I usually air dry thin walled peppers in a dry area or if in the sun I use some sort of shade so the pods don't get sunburnt or dry unevenly.
If you're using an oven use the lowest setting and possibly open the oven a small crack to let moisture out.

To humid in Florida for air/sundrying.I always end up with moldy pods.Even inside in controlled environment.I'm using a dehydrator.
Sometimes I powder immediately,sometimes I store them for rehydrating,or grinding later.Sometimes I smoke them a bit first if I'm Smoking meat for some xtra flava.
I've got to give Carol props for the "green" solution for humid environments!
Has anybody ever tried drying them in a container of salt?
Would this be a cured pepper?

Well, the office organizer didn't work out so good. The top shelf was too far from the heat (toolbox) and the bottom shelf didn't get enough sun. So I went with original suggestion from Rainbowberry's link (can't find it now) and I'm using a shiny metal plate under a splatter screen. Lots of sun, heat, and airflow without having to put them in the car or on a hot surface. pics to follow.

Here's a pic of the dollar store items I'm using. Total cost or 3 drying racks: $6.
plate.jpg

Bunch of japones drying out:
almostdry.jpg

c.

You think my empty BBQ would work? It's black and soaks up heat for a lot of the day. A bet a few days in there with the vents open would do the trick. Even the ash on the bottom would probably help like a desiccant.

Downside could be a BBQ flavor if you just want the true chili flavor.

Back