• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

dunno Aquariumponics ?

well its that time of year to germinate (well anytime is) but as have idea that requires 100's of plants need to get lots happening and got the idea from a dude whom has an Aquarium, i don't.. heat pads are Ok but Expensive, this was made from things lying around as usual..

the THSC Dodgy Bros Aquariumponic Germination Unit

aquariumponics1.jpg

a 60Ltr tub, an aquarium heater and an airstone, thats It,, put rockwool cubes in a container but could use jiffy's.. got 52 in that so heaps good.. turn the temp up a bit, lid on, got Glass over as No light in room but have a lid if need.. looks like this

aquariumponics.jpg

Left a Thermometer in water and went back 24hrs later to have a sus of the temps to see what happened.

aquariumponics2.jpg

Shit Yeaaa, thatll do me perfect.. now see what happens. Have a Bank of 4 x 4 ft fluros to put it under if works.. make 2 of these for the price of 1 heatpad

All good Omri ty

the sec get a new fridge, Old Fridge will find a use for :)

yup Mick, havent looked for couple days and saw seeds opening earlier so could get a sprout in 4 days,, new record if does. fingers crossed

this has me wonder, is it possible to convert an aquarium into a hydro/aero/aquaponic setup? how does light affect the roots? i know some people feed hydro setups with pond fish, but unsure how the whole light able to the roots works. the get to what i'm pondering, attaching grow baskets to the top of a fish tank with some bubblers in there and never using fertilizer. Is that doable?

either way, very nifty stuff Neil.

fineexampl said:
this has me wonder, is it possible to convert an aquarium into a hydro/aero/aquaponic setup? how does light affect the roots? i know some people feed hydro setups with pond fish, but unsure how the whole light able to the roots works. the get to what i'm pondering, attaching grow baskets to the top of a fish tank with some bubblers in there and never using fertilizer. Is that doable?

either way, very nifty stuff Neil.

I have an old acrylic tank that would have worked, but the seams need to be resealed as the front has a small leak. It would have been perfect because it's a 40 gallon tank that already has holes drilled on the bottom for connection valves to the pump that would have pushed the aero connectors. Basically you just line it with some heavy dark tint to keep the light out or your going to end up growing algae everywhere.

LGHT said:
I have an old acrylic tank that would have worked, but the seams need to be resealed as the front has a small leak. It would have been perfect because it's a 40 gallon tank that already has holes drilled on the bottom for connection valves to the pump that would have pushed the aero connectors. Basically you just line it with some heavy dark tint to keep the light out or your going to end up growing algae everywhere.
you could stock it with algae eating snails and algae eating fish, no? mini eco system?

fineexampl said:
you could stock it with algae eating snails and algae eating fish, no? mini eco system?

MTS (Malaysian Trumpet Snails) will eat large amounts of algae, but in a 40 gallon tank you would need a several million to even attempt to have the algae under control and even then the algae would be robbing nutes from the plants. I have a few 10 gallon tanks that I breed Crystal Red Shrimp in and have stocked both with hundreds of snails and even then they don't even scratch the surface on an algae breakout. Bottom line is you would have to cover the tank no matter what.

Maybe so bottom feeders like cory's or...wtf are them bigger things called again...I have been away from the aquarium way to long...wait...placastamist? Probably killed the spelling.

Plecos don't do that much. I had one about 16" in a large tank until it was ended up eaten by the tanks occupants.

LGHT said:
Plecos don't do that much. I had one about 16" in a large tank until it was ended up eaten by the tanks occupants.
plecos are shit machines.

my cories are only active at night. they might work for this idea.

instead of trying to raise fish to eat the algae that the grew in the tank wouldn't it just be easier to cover the tank so light doesn't get in. Plecos are awesome! Here is the mean one that eventually got too small to control the tank. It did rule the tank for well over 2 years until they out grew him and eventually ate him.

Here is a very old video showing them as babies. I think the plecos was only about 8" long at the time and this was a small grow out tank for P's.

I love the idea of breeding fish are you going to put fish in ?? , and I have been watching the development in the GREYWATER treatment with plants. I have been considering and designing a system which would be similar I suppose but with reeds/plants and fish.
I plan to build something like this outside :
backyard.jpg

Useing water captured from run off from the farm instead of a septic,
I will have a capture tank nested at the bottom hill +pumped to+ reed bed and fish tank...+pumped to+.. a tank at top of farm for redistribution and storage through the sprinkler system and a series of pumps.

So I guess I am chimming in here, because; have you considered a couple of layers of gravel and sand in the bottom of the tank to filter the water ? (could use recycled water then !!) Give it a small second tank like a 2 ltr botttle that water is "filtered into through a pin hole at bottom +pumped+ back to plants, then you can mix feed seperate to the tank ? Basiclly allowing your fish to survive in CLEAN water but your plants still get the feed they need ?

Great idea neil....

LGHT said:
I have been using plants to clean my fish tank water for years. It was this knowledge that helped me raise and breed a very rare type of freshwater shrimp from japan several years ago from 10 to a few hundred. Here is a post on what plants to use and how the waste treatment plants use them to keep nitrates out of the water.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/shrimp-other-invertebrates/61804-remove-100-nitrates-your-shrimp-tank.html

That is FANTASIC info LGHT ! Thanks mate that is a must read for the marriage of plants and fish/shrimp keeping.

I have NEVER thought of keeping prawn, that is a really nifty idea ! How often can you harvest a feast ?
Can you put lobster and crab in same tank or will they eat each other ?

Back