• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

baccatum Earliest baccatums?

After discovering volunteer baccatums in a few beds at work, it's pretty clear to me, now, that baccatums are probably hands-down one of the best and easiest peppers to grow outdoors, in ground, in the Vancouver BC area, and places with similar climates (Seattle, parts of England, Tasmania, etc.)

In your experience, what is the absolute earliest baccatums to rippen from the time of transplanting? Although Vancouver's climate is mild, we have only a short warm and dry period, with frost arriving in mid to late November, so the really long ripening baccatums wouldn't be suited to outdoor ripening, here, imo.

Those all sound like good varieties to me. I have noticed that a lot of growers keep mentioning Aji Lemon Drop, so i'll have to check that one out. It'd be great if I could find any baccatums that combine super earlieness with a really sweet and tropical tasting fruit. I really like the sound of Aji Mango, SPR, Pineapple, etc. Of course, growers in BC already seem quite familiar with Criolla Sella, which combines earliness, hardiness to cool conditions, sweet and tropical flavors and intermediate heat. For some reason, I didn't order that variety for this year, and now i'm regretting it.

In the end, my objective is to cross the best baccatums with Trinidad and Naga varieties. Everything i'm hearing about baccatum x chinense crosses sounds like everything i'm looking for in a pepper, so that's the way i'm going with my breeding.

Currently, the only baccatum i'm growing is Aji Russian Yellow. It was supposedly bred by the soviets to be early, and apparently the fruits are quite hot, sweet and citrussy. To me, it sounds almost identical to the Lemon Drop, though.

rynen10k said:
Yeah, Lemon Drops ripen pretty quick compared to Aji Amarillo, Sugar Rush Peach and the other larger baccatums.
I think i'm definately going to have to order Lemon Drop seeds this fall, or maybe trade for them, if anyone's interested. I may have seed of early fruiting, cool weather adapted varieties by the autumn.

LordTriffid78 said:
I think i'm definately going to have to order Lemon Drop seeds this fall, or maybe trade for them, if anyone's interested. I may have seed of early fruiting, cool weather adapted varieties by the autumn.

I have Lemon drop seeds that I will not grow, PM me your address and I'll ship you some.

Alpaca Punch said:
I have not gown many baccatums but of the few I have grown, Aji Cito and Bishops Crown have been the earliest (even compared to other species) to bloom and produce. Amongst all of my chilis this year, they are again the first to put out buds (as of a few days ago).  They have also  been very prolific.
Aji Cito sounds interesting. It's often said to be one of the hottest baccatums. How do you find the heat in your cito fruits?

By any chance, has anyone ever grown Aji Earbob? I just spotted it in the Chile Man database, and supposedly this one produces ripe fruit 60 days after transplant. Doesn't sound very productive, though, and not very hot. It may be a good variety for interesting baccatum crosses.

It's been a while since i've growed a baccy.
For early and sturdy i recommend Madre Vieja and, if you like something wilder, Guampinha de Veado. Both produce heaps.

Datil

LordTriffid78 said:
By any chance, has anyone ever grown Aji Earbob? I just spotted it in the Chile Man database, and supposedly this one produces ripe fruit 60 days after transplant. Doesn't sound very productive, though, and not very hot. It may be a good variety for interesting baccatum crosses.
I didn't find any faster for me in the u.k as most baccatums are just very consistant growers and the recommendations above are spot on.
The few that have been earlier for myself,my brother and daughter have been Aji Guyana and Don Juan Market.

I am growing Aji's in Denmark and not using greenhouses. Plants are in 2-5 gal pots outside from about 20 May onwards.
My impression is that pepper growth and ripening under my conditions has nothing to do with fertilizer, but is mainly (not solely, but just mainly) determined by nighttime temperatures (must be above 54 F).
Anyways, my ripening from fastest to slowest:
Aji cito, Aji cristal, Aji limo, Aji omnicolor, Jamy and Aji amarillo. The amarillo is a terrible pepper to grow in Denmark if you do not have a greenhouse. It just will not ripen.

My best guess is that if you are in BC your ripening speed is closer to mine than to e.g. someone in Fla or Lousyana.

I am growing Aji's in Denmark and not using greenhouses. Plants are in 2-5 gal pots outside from about 20 May onwards.
My impression is that pepper growth and ripening under my conditions has nothing to do with fertilizer, but is mainly (not solely, but just mainly) determined by nighttime temperatures (must be above 54 F).
Anyways, my ripening from fastest to slowest:
Aji cito, Aji cristal, Aji limo, Aji omnicolor, Jamy and Aji amarillo. The amarillo is a terrible pepper to grow in Denmark if you do not have a greenhouse. It just will not ripen.

My best guess is that if you are in BC your ripening speed is closer to mine than to e.g. someone in Fla or Lousyana.
I would imagine Denmark's climate is pretty close to parts of BC, especially our outer coast. I think we have a member on the forum who often complains about not being able to get any peppers to ripen in either Tofino or Ucluelet, which are both in the heart of the temperate rainforest. Even during heat waves and drought, the immediate coastal areas over there are frequently immersed in marine fog. I'm pretty sure the only peppers that would do well in such spots would be rocotos.

Back