• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Earthquakes and Disasters predictions

mel said:
I think there have been some valid points raised here, and I'm interested in hearing more about NJA's theories.. whether AJ's right or NJA, you cant deny that there's been a lot of natural disasters taking place more recently..

If NJA is right, looks to me that you guys might be best off coming and staying in Oz :D I only have two spare rooms though so first in best dressed ;)

Can I bring friends......

wed.jpg

paulky_2000 said:
Not really.

Lava is a surface event. Until it reaches the surface, it's called magma.

Also, it's more of a series of convection cells within the magma (heating, rising, then cooling and falling again) that allows the continental and oceantic plates to move around.

Volcanic episodes have little, if anything, to do with plate movement.

(yes, I have a degree in geology) ;)

Wonderful!!
This gives me an opportunity to update my knowledge.

How about the Big One under yellow stone park?
This type of volcano is a sitter and a sinker and can generate un precedented explosion causing plates to shift NO?

Sorry, I am geology challenged.

Just came in,

TAIPEI (Reuters) – An earthquake with a preliminary magnitude of 6.4 shook Taiwan on Thursday, but there were no immediate reports of casualties or damage, officials said.

Taiwan uses the Richter scale to measure earthquake intensity. The U.S. Geological Survey put the quake's magnitude at 6.5.

The epicenter of the quake, which struck at 8:18 am (0018 GMT), was around the southern city of Kaohsiung at a depth of 5 km, the Central Weather Bureau said.

I had given dates of sensitive phase till March 2nd. This happened about 8 hours after the predicted date.

NJA

I have a non-related prediction.

YOU GUYS ARE ALREADY DEAD EXCEPT YOU GUYS ARE NOT DEAD YET.

Hoove me wrong herd.

Novacastrian said:
Ha ha friggin who cares.

You prosper you p. I you die you..............................

Novacastrian said:
I have a non-related prediction.

YOU GUYS ARE ALREADY DEAD EXCEPT YOU GUYS ARE NOT DEAD YET.

Hoove me wrong herd.

HAHAHAHAHA :drunk: I predict Nova will be falling down and peeing on himself soon.

JayT said:
HAHAHAHAHA :drunk: I predict Nova will be falling down and peeing on himself soon.

i think you've missed that prediction JT - my prediction is that he's already lying in a corner somewhere in the fetal position with pee on himself :P

I find that I am best at predicting if the events have already happened.

Ok I better scram from this thread. Sorry NJA and MrArboc continue your debate.

mel said:
i think you've missed that prediction JT - my prediction is that he's already lying in a corner somewhere in the fetal position with pee on himself :P

This is a blatant ganging upon a helpless individual who goes by the name of NOVA.
As a moderator in waiting, I will not allow ragging of individuals who are drunk/not in their senses.:lol:

Wait. Besides peppers, that is the primary source of fun here NJA. Even THP gets in the act. Just ask Moyboy, PF, Paulky, TB, AJ, etc etc. You should embrace the notion of picking on drunks. I think it should be an Olympic sport.

JayT said:
Wait. Besides peppers, that is the primary source of fun here NJA. Even THP gets in the act. Just ask Moyboy, PF, Paulky, TB, AJ, etc etc. You should embrace the notion of picking on drunks. I think it should be an Olympic sport.

JayT,

Good point buddy. But I cannot pick on drunks because I don't drink.

If the victim has no objection (which he/she gives in the form of NOC after he/she becomes sober/if ever he or she becomes sober), I don't mind.

Since the law has not passed about ragging/picking on/making fun of/trolling etc, such activities may continue.

NJA

DickT said:
hey Paulky, Here is something I always wondered about, what would happen is a stream of magma came into contact with field of oil or natural gas, would that be pretty major or not that big a deal.

THAT is a damn good question and something I have never concidered! I'd imagine that the pocket would be quickly displaced by the magma and all the fossil fuel would be expelled or burned away. Typically, the two do not exist at the same depths, which makes such an event highly unlikely.

I'll do more research on that one.

Naga Jolokia Addict said:
Wonderful!!
This gives me an opportunity to update my knowledge.

How about the Big One under yellow stone park?
This type of volcano is a sitter and a sinker and can generate un precedented explosion causing plates to shift NO?

Sorry, I am geology challenged.

The magma chamber under Yellowstone is massive and is growing. Think of it as a weak spot in the sidewall of a tire.......the the "bubble" that results continues to grow, which further weakens the tire in that spot, forcing the bubble to get larger and larger.......

When Yellowstone goes, it'll cause an eruption larger than any in recorded history. But it, as with many volcanic zones (certainly not ALL) does not sit on a plate boundary. As in the tire analogy, it's a weak point (thin spot) in the continental plate. If you think about all the exposed granite, shortage of sedimenary rock, and geothermal activity, it starts to make sense.

paul,

Yellow stone reservoir is over due for exploding now. And this thing worries me.
Hope it does not happen in our life time.

Naga Jolokia Addict said:
paul,

Yellow stone reservoir is over due for exploding now. And this thing worries me.
Hope it does not happen in our life time.

If it does, it'll sure ruin the tourist flow! (and a good bit of Wyoming, Idaho, and Montana!)

:rofl:

paulky_2000 said:
THAT is a damn good question and something I have never concidered! I'd imagine that the pocket would be quickly displaced by the magma and all the fossil fuel would be expelled or burned away. Typically, the two do not exist at the same depths, which makes such an event highly unlikely.

I'll do more research on that one.

I would think that the oil and natural gas fields are under considerable pressure, and any ignition source could create quite an explosion. Just a thought....

Back