• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Ebay seeds "Bhut Jolokia" Grow, start to finish.

I just got burned on eBay. Ordered 7 Pods and they turned out to be Caribbean Red. They're not even that hot either. I will never buy on eBay again. The bad thing about eBay is that you only have 90 days to leave feedback which is not enough time before harvest. Not a good venue for buying seeds. If you find out they are fakes, let us know because I will gladly harass the SOB for you!! Good luck!

rofl.gif
I've gathered some of the seller's buyers and we are all on the same boat. I haven't left feedback yet and may not. His account will be destroyed, but so far it's all just an assumption.

I just saw this thread tonight. I wish I had had the time to help you out, but it sounds as if you have some good seeds coming. I'm over here in Lakeland. If you want to come over some time and check out my pepper plants, you can. I have bhut seeds that were produced when there were no other pepper plants within at least 500 feet away from my plants. I sell them privately so you wouldn't have found me on the internet. Now I've added Butch Ts, moruga scorpions, and naga morich plants to my group, but have them spaced around the place, hopefully far enough so they don't cross, if you ever want to play with something else. (my land is 1/4 mile long from front to back)You talked about insecticides, I've been using a tea made from used coffee grounds and it kills all the insects I have problems with and shows no toxicity at all. In fact, I made a gravity fed drip system for my pepper plants so if I have to be away for a few days, they will get self watered, and last year I added this coffee "tea to the barrel that holds the water and last year I iddin't have a single aphid on my plants.

I just saw this thread tonight. I wish I had had the time to help you out, but it sounds as if you have some good seeds coming. I'm over here in Lakeland. If you want to come over some time and check out my pepper plants, you can. I have bhut seeds that were produced when there were no other pepper plants within at least 500 feet away from my plants. I sell them privately so you wouldn't have found me on the internet. Now I've added Butch Ts, moruga scorpions, and naga morich plants to my group, but have them spaced around the place, hopefully far enough so they don't cross, if you ever want to play with something else. (my land is 1/4 mile long from front to back)You talked about insecticides, I've been using a tea made from used coffee grounds and it kills all the insects I have problems with and shows no toxicity at all. In fact, I made a gravity fed drip system for my pepper plants so if I have to be away for a few days, they will get self watered, and last year I added this coffee "tea to the barrel that holds the water and last year I iddin't have a single aphid on my plants.
Thanks. Just got the seeds today and they'll be in the dirt tomorrow. How do you make the tea? brew another pot of coffee?
beer.gif

IMAG0073.jpg

[font="arial][size="2"]
You must be throwing out a heap of viable seeds then :eek:
[/size][/font][font="arial][size="2"] No, just new to pepper growing. I also meant to 10 days for germination, not sprout. Seems like I going to need more patience in the future. We'll see how long these new set of bhuts take to sprout.
[/size][/font]
Edit: These "bhut jolokias" were my first pepper seeds I planted.
[font="arial] [/font]
[font="arial] [/font]

Thanks. Just got the seeds today and they'll be in the dirt tomorrow. How do you make the tea? brew another pot of coffee?
beer.gif

IMAG0073.jpg

[font="arial][size="2"]
No, just new to pepper growing. I also meant to 10 days for germination, not sprout. Seems like I going to need more patience in the future. We'll see how long these new set of bhuts take to sprout.
[/size][/font]
[font="arial] [/font]
[font="arial] [/font]

I had some trinidad Scorpions show their hooks today 18-19 days since soaking. Now I am not saying this is fast/slow or normal but simply keep in mind that some seeds are going to take much longer then 10 days to germinate so don't throw them out.

I had some trinidad Scorpions show their hooks today 18-19 days since soaking. Now I am not saying this is fast/slow or normal but simply keep in mind that some seeds are going to take much longer then 10 days to germinate so don't throw them out.

That's what i'm realizing as everyone puts there input. I'm not used to seeds taking that long that are any good, but them again I wasn't growing peppers neither. I won't throw these out. So it looks like I may have to battle mold and algae from keeping the soil surface moist for so long.

That's what i'm realizing as everyone puts there input. I'm not used to seeds taking that long that are any good, but them again I wasn't growing peppers neither. I won't throw these out. So it looks like I may have to battle mold and algae from keeping the soil surface moist for so long.

Mould or Algae issues shouldn't be a problem as long as you adhere to a few rules.

Its all to do with your soil medium (making sure its as sterile as possible for me it means buying jiffy pellets), not keeping it too wet (but ensuring it stays moist) and ensuring that the items (including your hands) you use to plant with are clean and you have clean, good quality seed to start with.

Thats why some people like to use a dilute bleach or H202 solution to soak their seeds in first to ensure fungal free seeds

Good luck

You can very easily just second brew your old grounds, but that is a quart at a time.That may be all you ever will need. I am adding about 4 gallons of "coffee tea" to a 55 gallon drum with water and need to do something more than that. I have a nursery with 30,000 plants and somewhere around 400 to 500 species. I'm just sort of playing with the peppers, mainly for fun, on the side. Here is an article I wrote, which is on killing Asian scale on cycads, but I use the spray from the barrel in the article as a direct contact spray to kill all the insects I deal with on all my plants, which in this case, includes pepper plants. Here is a link to my article, which will show my home made coffee tea brewer.

http://www.cycad.org/documents/Broome-Coffee-2007.pdf

Hopefully, this will show up. I'm including a link to a thread on the IPS forum where we were talking about the peppers. My post that I am wanting you to see should be at the bottom. It will show my peppers with the white barrel, which is set up for the drip system I made. You really can't see the tubes or anything, but it will show the peppers and the barrel that I am adding the coffee to;

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=23641&st=0&p=393424&hl=Bhut%20Jolokia&fromsearch=1&#entry393424

cycadjungle: I've read your article and seen the setup. Very interesting. Have you noticed any other effects the coffee has on the plants when fed systemically? ...Possibly altered growth rate or flavor? At the moment I don't have a bug problem but I am definately goIng to mulch and spray a plant or two and compare them with the others. I'm planning on adding limestone to the mulch to insure proper ph.

Using the coffee in the soil has made the plants a little greener and they seem to grow a bit faster. Mainly because the coffee DOES work as a fertilizer, even though it is not a complete fertilizer. You would want to use more than just the coffee. I thought about the taste as well. I have not tasted any difference between the peppers that were grown with the coffee and the ones without using coffee. On pH, I would test the soil you want to use before you throw some lime in there. My soil is Canadian peat based and has a pH of 6.5, which is great for soil and helps make the fertilizer work better because there is good chemistry. If you test your soil, and it is something like 5 or less, then that might be a good idea. You should also test your water. Your water will not usually be acidic, and if it isn't close to neutral, it usually is alkaline, which would already counteract some acidity. I know the city water in places like Austin, Phoenix, and many places in California are also around 7 to 8, and those people have problems getting their mix down to acid. If you are worried about the used coffee grounds being too acidic, I tested several of the bags from Starbucks, and they were consistanly around 6.2 to 6.3, which is still fine, and not enough to have to compensate for.

I use distilled water and its usually around 5 ph, so I change it up to 6.8 after nutrients. I haven't bothered with a soil meter yet. So I mix lime that tops at 7 to the soil and assume it'll stabalize in in the high 6s, far from precise but the plants don't show signs of lockout. Is there a certain brand of ph soil meter that's reliable and precise?

Got a ph soil reader, different airy soil more fit for veg growth and pots. The plant's leaves are wilted but otherwise in good condition; I think its a mixture of root bound and over water. It rained on my plants a day after I watered them and roots are visible on top and bottom. Tomorrow two will get a larger pot and the rest is up for experiments.
Also, it's been 4 days since I sowed true bhuts and still no sprouts
eh.gif

Lots of varieties of seeds entered the mix also. Will update tomorrow with pics.
sick.gif

27 days old. They recovered from most of the wilt they had yesterday, some still visible.

27daysold1.jpg
27daysold2.jpg
27daysold3.jpg

Visible roots.
27daysold5.jpg
27daysold4.jpg

At this point i'm debating which one to keep in a 2 gallon square pot, or if I should put two in one pot because I don't know how much larger they are going to grow before they flower at this time of year in Florida, considering day length affecting growth. i.e. I don't want to waste potting space and soil if the plant won't utilize most of it. Any input would be helpful.
cheers.gif

I figured i'd start with two in one pot and re-pot if necessary. I've selected 2 plants according to productive new growth sites and roots systems as visible from the bottom.

These are the extras.

29daysselection004.jpg

These are the chosen two.

29daysselection005.jpg

I've noticed a couple white flies. They'll get dealt with after the plants look happy in their new pot.

UH, I think potting both up in 1 container is ok, as long as they are "dainty" plants and the the container is large enough, I grew 3 tobasco plants in a 3.5 gallon pot last year and they did ok, this method is also known as clumping. As big as Bhuts can get I dont think its a good idea. Seperating them later on to repot again might be a challenge as the roots will intertwine, making damage to the system inevitable.

Did you plant the seeds I sent you? Looking forward to seeing how they do for you in the hot/humid Florida climate.

Seeds are going in the dirt today.
I'm not going to separate these plants, if anything i'll train them. Didn't want to use much space with Bhut Jolokia plants that may not even be Bhuts. Now the plants from your seeds and some others will get there own place for max growth in my conditions. Just hope the new Bhuts finishes its cycle before it gets too cool.
cheers.gif

Unleashed, this year I too decided to try the Bhuts for the first time. I bought my seeds from a supplier in Florida and started them the last week of March in my Aero Garden seed starting accessory of all things.

The fastest any seeds germinated was a couple of weeks, and some of them took almost 8 weeks. I had given up on them, but my wife kept telling me to have patients. It's paying off. I have over 50 Bhuts set and a lot of them are over 3" long already.

Back