• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Empanadas...

I'd like to dedicate this appetizer recipe to a good Argentine friend of mine, Ruben whose recovering from a 5-way heart by-pass. He spent a good part of his life traveling with his band (drummer) from one country to the next. ........ here's my take on the dish probably similar to one that's made from a South American region

Ingredients: Mint, Cilantro, Oregano, Culantro, Italian Parsley, Lime Leaves, Garlic, Onion, Shallot, Scallions, Jamaican Red Hab, Aji Venezolano Pepper, Eggs, Flour, Flour, Cream, Pepper, Salt, Ground Beef (85/15) Sunflower Oil, Olive Oil, Cumin, Golden Raisens, Paprika, Spanish Olives.

Blend the 1/2 cup of each Mint, Cilantro, Oregano, Italian Parsley, Culantro,  ,...Lime Leaves (3), Scallions (green parts only)  4 chopped green Aji Peppers along with 2 tbls of water. While blender is running drizzle in Olive Oil to a loose but blended sauce forms. Add Salt and Pepper to taste. Set aside. ...Meanwhile, hard boil eggs...when cooled down, peel and chop. Set aside.

Brown the Ground Beef  (2lbs) in 2 tbls of Sunflower Oil, add  1 chopped onion, 6 minced Garlic Cloves,5 Red Habaneros, 2 tbl Cumin, 1 tbl Paprika, When the meat is browned remove pan from heat  Stir in Hard Boiled Eggs, 1/2  c of Golden Raisens,  1/2 c chopped Olives. Set aside

In a mixer cream 1 stick of unsalted Butter and 8oz Cream Cheese. Fold in and gradually mix 1.5 c Flour, 1 tsp Baking Soda, 1 tbl Sugar,  Remove dough when clumped together. Knead to combine and flatten into disc.

Place dough in the fridge for at least 30 min. ( I made 2 discs total).

The dough was removed from the fridge and rolled out to about 1/8" thick piece. I used a 4" cutting disc, then placed each piece in a tortilla press to get a thin uniform piece. A smell scoop was used for the filling and a brush of a beaten Egg was brushed on half the dough. Fold dough over and pinch/fold the edges. Fire up oven to 350. Brush tops of Empanadas with a mix of beated Egg and Cream.

Bake for 12 to 15 min.   ...(I should have used a regular size sheet pan)....over sized pans have there purpose, but even with a convection running its difficult to get an even bake with the lack of overall air circ.

The plating....Beef Empanadas with a slurry of Chimichurri............hmm..........where's the Malbec ?

Here I explain the recipe for beef classic Argentinian empanadas with instructional video.

Dough:
Flour 2 pound
7oz beef fat (like lard, but of beef) or corn oil, canola,
300 ml of broth

Filling:
meat Matambre 2 pound (You can replace the other meat, flank for example)
onion 9oz
eggs 6
3 green onions
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp Cumin
salt
300 ml broth
ground pepper
olives

Optional: Spicy(obvious), tomato pulp and olive oil. This causes a lot of juice dripping Pies to bite. (i like so)

FOR THE DOUGH: Make a crown of flour, add the fat and unite with 300 cc of broth which boiled the meat, mix well until a soft dough, cut small pieces to make scones, then stretch the dough with rolling pin to make the discs.
Fill disks with pasta, close and make thirteen repulgues, place in baking pan. Cooking in oven 15 minutes.

FOR FILLING: Boil salted matambre 1 hour, cool and chop into small cubes. Chop the smallish white onions, place the pan on stove with oil and 1oz of beef fat(like lard). Place onion and saute, add pepper and minced meat, stir, add a cup of broth, add ground cumin and salt to taste. Allow to cool. Add the chopped boiled eggs and green onions.

If not understand, ask me...
Other similar.
Salute!

Thanks CH that looks great, I will give that a try at some point.  

I made them last night and basically just stuffed them with what I had handy around the house. 

Filling last night = Ground bison, carrot,onion,celery,chipolte in adobo sauce,fresh garlic,s/p, fresh tomato puree,fresh thyme, black beans,chopped baby kale,bacon fat,splash of beer and worcestershire sauce.  
20150112_185229_zpsd5bd1acc.jpg

20150113_071907_zps0a32cd79.jpg

Next time can also try paint with milk. Some people throw white sugar over dough. and caramel is formed on top. I would not like, but many people do.

Then give it a recipe for "empanadas tucumanas". Tucuman is a northern state where it is said to be the best pies in the country. The filling flavor is very strong.

sicman said:
Whats inside? I have to know.

Meat inside, was the classic fill to empanadas.

In reality, my phone shut down battery and cant take more pics

The Hot Pepper said:
Have you ever seen him cook anything but beef? ;)

Okay I'd like to see too.

Haha... Months ago I posted empanadas filled of ham and cheese :party:

Wait! Tomorrow night i can make a empanadas stuffed to fish and/or shrimps, maybe than veggies or caprese... Do you like see this?

Back