• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

soil Empire Builder Soil

It's amazing what some of these Californians come up with when putting together water-only soil. I'm new to this concept myself but the term "water-only" is apparently making reference to commercial soils that do not require feeding or fertilizing throughout any one growing season. I'd beg to differ with any such claims but I must admit that I am quite impressed with the ingredients in Empire Builder.

This is a pricey one folks. I've seen it advertised in bulk for $129 per cubic yard and that's not talking delivery. I've also heard that at specific retailers that number comes down to about $90 bucks or so. Either way it isn't cost-worthy by any means. Having stopped into the Grower's Choice Hydro shop here in the Haystack this afternoon I happened to see a few Empire Builder posters and asked about it. Where 2 cubic feet of this stuff runs $16.00 to $20.00 anywhere else in the bay area these cats have it marked down to $12.95 and if you ask me that's worth experimenting with in the chile pots! Check it out:

empirebuilderbag.jpg

ebingredients.jpg

That's a HELLUVA list of ingredients!

Here's the web page:
http://sanctuarysoil...empire-builder/

Now keep in mind that this stuff's only available in California! I'm sure it's available in other states but with a substantial delivery being charged at the door to get it. By what I'm looking at I'm thinking these California gorilla farmers just might've come up with a real winner of a soil. We'll have to see. I'll report back later.

I transplanted my seedlings into EB this year. It's great. My transplants eventually go into something cheaper or in the ground, but this is really great stuff. I even transplanted some very young sprouts and there was no burn. It's safe for babies.

I still haven't decided which pepper I'm going to do the experiment with but if I can help it I'll try the EB up against FoxFarm OceanForest. I've got a few Thai plants that are about the same in height and stature that haven't started flowering yet. I'll figure something out.

I think the cost is because of the use of coco which can be pretty expensive.

A good list of ingredients, but seems a little high on the nitrogen and potassium and if you not sure what each ingredient does you wouldn't realize that most of them are redundant of each other. For example do you really need langbeinite, potash, potassium sulfate, greensand, AND Glacial rock dust which are all source of potassium?

I think they are marketing toward the lazy Gardner that doesn't want to spend time fertilizing, but you may also end up with a big bush of a plant that doesn't yield too many peppers. I still prefer to have total control and use inherit mixes that allow me to fertilize the plant what it needs and when it needs it. Plus it's a LOT cheaper in my opinion.

LGHT I have to agree. Thing is it's always worth taking a test drive to see what happens. At $13 a bag... why not!

I'm growing with this stuff right now too. I filled 25 - 4 gallon pots with EB; I'm growing bhut jolokias, trinidad scorpions, fatallis, jamaican hot chocolates, peruvian white lightnings, biggie chilis, jalapenos, and thai peppers. So far so good, except I was overwatering

Back