• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

organic Epsom salts - are they safe for organics systems

Is Epsom salts a safe fertilizer. I know that chem fertilizers kill the beneficial microbes in organic soils. I have gone to some effort at building up my gardens with using organic fertilizers and adding gogo juice, seaweed etc. Hate to ruin this using Epsom salts to build up foliage and fruit quality. :confused:

I think small amounts applied frequently would be better than large doses. Another source for magnesium is lime stone. It is also a source of calcium. My understanding is that epsom salt will provide magnesium right away while the lime will be not immediately available for your plants to use.

They are used in organic growing. But as Tonly says Dolomite will give you calcium and magnesium but slowly. I usually use CalMag life from Nutritech Solutions.

Every other watering I do during the summer gets 1 tablespoon per gallon. Doesn't matter if the plants need it or not. I have found that it takes too long to recover if you try and fix a problem after it starts

Excellent info. Many thanks guys. I had a few plants yellow just very recently as we had a bucket load of rain after rain followed by intense sun. My mother in law told me to hit em with Epsom. I was worried as I previously mentioned that I would ruin the bio- ness of it all.

Back