• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Essegi 2014: 1st grow! Winter is coming.

Ok, today i decided to plant seeds.
First of all i want to thank who helped me in a thread and Sarge in particular that helped me to decide what to do! :D And Lonewolf from pepperfriends forum that has helped me a lot!

My list, all from Semillas, begin of september 2013:

ir2YmjGmgP7ma.jpg

• Trinidad Scorpion Moruga Red
  • HP22B
  • Trinidad Douglah
  • Chocolate Bhut Jolokia
  • Fatalii
  • Fatalii White
  • Ferenc Tender
I've planted all but Ferenc Tender seeds, i'll plant them next month or in beginning of March. If i'll plant them.
11 per type.
I've treated seeds for 15 mins in a 3% bleach solution then i washed them very well in water before planting.
During that process i lost 1 seed of Trinidad Douglah and 3 of Chocoloate Bhut Jolokia (i suppose 2 of that lost seeds were too tiny anyway).

I've used plastic glasses with an hole:
ikbKlTjRsglnO.jpg

The soil, specific for seeds (here before planting):
iPgVihUluA5J0.jpg

• PH 6-7
  • C/N 25
  • 0,6 dS/m
  • organic ferthilizer
  • neutral peat 65% volume
  • organic carbon on dry content 35%
  • organic nitrogen on dry content 11%
  • fulvic and humc carbon on dry content 11%
hope the last 4 are translated accurately...

izNE2bzF7uUIp.jpg

So 62 plants in total. In a 60*100 cm table
  • I plan to grow them all by myself until i have to change the vase.
  • Then i keep 2 per type (12 in total) of them in a 2,4 L vase each (top external diameter 18 cm). It's ok for my table. The rest goes to friends and relatives.
  • Then 1 per type in a 15-20 L vase each and 1 per type in ground. Or all in vases, but probably half on ground. Of course the last vases will go outside, i have a nice spot of 15 m lenght along my house walls that is without wind and quite hot.
Room, that is heating room:
iba6wA08eSrdAi.jpg

That round thing in the left is warm... I've turned on radiator on right.

Here measured temps in center table:

iMr6TuzQdT2ux.jpg

Considering some parallax error is 27°C or little more (hoping that thing is accurate) which is 81°F
In the night will be lower but i think still above 20°C (68°F)
There's some natural light, hope that helps.
I have to do some funny things for the light, unfortunately at home have prohibited to use drying racks that would have been perfect.

I've a 60*3 watts LED light, nearly 10K lumens. I've found a good price and more than half was a birthday present from friends...

iuV6XP6OHYLEV.jpg

It's the round thing.
Well, no cats or dog allowed in growing room! Hope all goes well..

The mistery plant of my uncle, maybe a Naga Morich, made 3 or 4 pods and i got only 2.
Probably too late hardening off, too cold, too rain, not enough sun in back of home.

Btw those are the pods:
ibwdcGzDjWV2Su.jpg

The one on left is 4*1,8 cm

i5h5iPLdN8BmC.jpg

That is the one on right.
It's hotter than fatalii but less than other supers (i've eaten it in a small pasta dish without any issue). Typical chinense smell, sweet but not extremely but also nearly no bitter and no soap taste. It remembered me trinidad scorpions from last year. But keep in mind that i'm the worst pepper taster of all THP! :D
All in all i really enjoyed it, nice heat above habanero and fatalii but not mental and no unpleasant tastes.
Could that be a Naga Morich?

I ordered seeds from Semillas, thanks to Peter that didn't have many seeds of Broen Moruga and Jay's Peach but put them online for me! :D
  1. 7pot Brainstrain Red
  2. 7pot Bubblegum
  3. 7pot Primo
  4. Bhut Jolokia Peach
  5. Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion
  6. Jay's Red Ghost Scorpion
  7. Trinidad Scorpion Butch T
  8. Trinidad Scorpion Moruga Caramel
  9. Trinidad Scorpion Moruga Chocolate
  10. Trinidad Scorpion Moruga Yellow 
Not many yellow, but i wanted also Primo and Butch T for educational purposes! :D Also Jay's Red is just too cute.

Ok, i said 7 varieties, but in that way i had free shipping so 3 varieties for 2,5€ more... :D
Also i should have a stripe of 2*18-20m next year!
I'll grow 20-22 plants. With basil in middle like that nearly for sure:
i1r9CRxVuP5wn.png

So here are the questions:
1)is too small a pot of 850cc for intermediate potting (the one before planting on ground)? More or less 12cm up, 8,5cm down and 10,5cm height. I have some a bit bigger but not 20.
That year i used some 18cm 2,4L vases that has been overkill... I have many of them but i can't use 20 of that, too area.
2)I'm thinking to cross something... I don't know that varieties, some suggestions?
I was thinking to cross Peach Bhut (since it has maybe the looking i like best and should have a great taste but it's not an heavy producer) with something else... Maybe Brainstrain Red or Moruga Yellow. Or maybe even Butch T or Primo.
Stuff like Chocolate and Caramel Moruga don't ispire me for crossing since i suspect they aren't so stable being new stuff. Also not Jay's that already have a ghost touch.
Rocoto with a superhot is too risky? I'll overwinter it.
Or maybe Brainstrain with Jay's Red?
Not sure i'll do that, and that i have enough skill to not tear all apart, but wondering about it anyway! :D
That damn rocoto is still without pods... Also checking that pic: http://i.imgur.com/K5Dj2Jb.png
It proably has some deficencies in calcium, magnesium and maybe even nitrogen and manganese.

I knew I shouldn't let you order first ... no matter now ... I'll convince Peter to shortchange your packs for me. :)
After all we have very similar list.
I won't bother with companion plants though, I think I'll take the Comfrey train instead.

As we have different growing conditions, you have to take this into consideration. My typical dirt day is March 15th for peppers, I'm probably going with April 1st next season, because they just sat there for 30 days. We had a cool spring. Due to Christmas travel plans, I'll start my seeds before I leave. This will give me just under 16 weeks until dirt day. I'm hoping they will be in wanna be 1 gallon pots and 9 to 12"s tall by then. I know last year they certainly weren't root bound, but the roots were at the bottom. So to answer your question, I feel 850cc (just shy of a quart?) is a bit small.

I won't bother with companion plants though, I think I'll take the Comfrey train instead.

Been digging 5 gallon holes and adding 2.5 gals of composted cow manure, then 3"s of dirt and planting the Comfrey. Got 7 done, 5 to go ;)

Devv said:
I know last year they certainly weren't root bound, but the roots were at the bottom. So to answer your question, I feel 850cc (just shy of a quart?) is a bit small.

I've noticed that too this season, plants not root bound by any means, however when they got new shoes they took of like a rocket.

Oh Essegi what do you mean by 2.4L being overkill ?

Scott, I wasn't planning to plant the comfrey that soon, do you think I should get to it right away? Oh and I hope (make that a pray) on a mimic of your season the next year too.

lucilanga said:
I knew I shouldn't let you order first ... no matter now ... I'll convince Peter to shortchange your packs for me. :)
After all we have very similar list.
Eh eh, all is still available on shop!
What would you buy?
I have to plant basil anyway, if i plant there i use better that piece of ground.

Devv said:
As we have different growing conditions, you have to take this into consideration. My typical dirt day is March 15th for peppers, I'm probably going with April 1st next season, because they just sat there for 30 days. We had a cool spring. Due to Christmas travel plans, I'll start my seeds before I leave. This will give me just under 16 weeks until dirt day. I'm hoping they will be in wanna be 1 gallon pots and 9 to 12"s tall by then. I know last year they certainly weren't root bound, but the roots were at the bottom. So to answer your question, I feel 850cc (just shy of a quart?) is a bit small.
I feared that... I've read on an italian forum that 1L is enough for that (in a guide it was adviced 1 to 2 L), here on some i am a bit lower... Maybe i should just ebay some square pots of 1,5L (just i'll make someone angry since at home we have many vases! :D).

lucilanga said:

Oh Essegi what do you mean by 2.4L being overkill ?
Just big for nothing. Sure is because i didn't grow plants so well, it took much space and plants would have been ok with a smaller pot. Not that it hurts, i can't do the same next season.

lucilanga said:

Scott, I wasn't planning to plant the comfrey that soon, do you think I should get to it right away? Oh and I hope (make that a pray) on a mimic of your season the next year too.

Well I put them in 1 gallon pots for a week or two, everyone had roots circling already at the bottom.

Here, it's warm enough to plant now and they will not suffer the heat damage like when planted in spring. They originated in Russia and can take the cold. Here, we shouldn't get a freeze until December or January, with a rare chance in November. I brought up your location and compared it on a map to the US, wow you're way north. If you intend on planting them in containers, go for it. If in the dirt, order a few weeks before the soil is ready for tomatoes.

I just received my order from http://www.greenhousemegastore.com for 28 #7 pots, gonna put a few Comfrey in them to see how they do. $55 for 28 is a good price (price included shipping)!

Essegi said:
Eh eh, all is still available on shop!
What would you buy?

My shopping list, this is just the extras I have to buy for the next season, I plan to start more that just those:

cascabel(wife), galapagonese, large red rocoto, giant rocoto, Nora (wife)
Limon,Aji Omnicolor,Guam Boonie,Trinidad Scorpion Moruga Yellow
bubblegum, rennie, Jays Peach Ghost Scorpion
Rocoto Marlene (come on! it's named after Peter's daughter!)
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga Caramel
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga Chocolate
Jays Red Ghost Scorpion
7pot White
Bhut Jolokia Peach
Naga Viper
Dorset Naga Orange
Black Naga

I'll be doing bonda ma jaques  and butch T as well as I have untrusty seeds.
Oh, and I'll be wanting those hp22 seeds from you, I can give you mine but no tail whatsoever :)

Essegi said:
I have to plant basil anyway, if i plant there i use better that piece of ground.
Comfrey man, comfrey! Leave that basil to your uncles! :)

Essegi said:
Just big for nothing. Sure is because i didn't grow plants so well, it took much space and plants would have been ok with a smaller pot. Not that it hurts, i can't do the same next season.

It's doesn't worth doing it if you do not over do it :)

lucilanga said:
My shopping list
Very nice, bigger and more varied than mine! :D

lucilanga said:
I'll be doing bonda ma jaques  and butch T as well as I have untrusty seeds.
Oh, and I'll be wanting those hp22 seeds from you, I can give you mine but no tail whatsoever :)
More or less a week days has passed, when you want i can send that 9 seeds to you! :D Maybe you'll get a cross with Fatally White that is the nearest plant. :D
But don't send back yours, i've too seeds to look after, when they arrives! :D

lucilanga said:
Comfrey man, comfrey! Leave that basil to your uncles! :)
I don't know that plant, but i really want basil! :D

PS: lol google advertising has been nearly helpful:
http://www.growland-hydroponics.com/TEKU-square-pots-13x13x13-cm-sturdy-155-L
that would be perfect and exteremely cheap, too bad 15€ shipping. :P

Devv said:
I brought up your location and compared it on a map to the US, wow you're way north. If you intend on planting them in containers, go for it. If in the dirt, order a few weeks before the soil is ready for tomatoes.

Indeed I'm well north,
However, I do not think I'll get any frost this year perhaps on February or March judging a few years ago. But this year, weather here has been all backwards. For instance Essegi got all the rain, the poor crop, the blame and all,  and I got all the sun and the glory :)

To be perfectly honest I didn't consider containers as I do for peppers I was just planning on throwing comfrey directly on the dirt.
But on the safer path, I think it will be just fine doing containers for the start.

Essegi said:
I don't know that plant, but i really want basil! :D

Err, comfrey pizza ? :D

Essegi said:
that would be perfect and exteremely cheap, too bad 15€ shipping. :P

lol it's 33 bucks over here.
Do you have troubles buying cheap pots over there as well ?

lucilanga said:
Err, comfrey pizza ? :D
Tomorrow i'll check that, i've yet to learn the basics of the basics with pizza! :D 

lucilanga said:
lol it's 33 bucks over here.
Do you have troubles buying cheap pots over there as well ?
W00t, 33 is a lot!
I've not found small and cheap pots. Today i went to some big shops, the best was 1,60 for a fancy squared 14cm. I want them basic and under 1 €. Not much, but if i must buy 20... I found some good round at 85 cents, but i want square if i am going to buy. Bigger vases are too expensive... I wonder if they know the difference between plastic and gold.

Devv said:
I buy pots at http://www.greenhousemegastore.com

Just bought 28 7 gals for $55 (shipping included). I don't know about shipping to where 'yall are at, but it's worth a look.
Wow, great! Putting in cart 20 of the biggest in that page: http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/product/5768/containers-for-schools has a shipping cost of only 7,99$ for a total of 17,99$! 61 cu in = 1,671480528 L. That would be perfect. Also 2-3 trays would be nice. Thanks for the suggestion, i'll think about that!

Thanks again!

Sad news... End of season.
Today my dad eradicated all plants because plowing is imminent. Could be tomorrow, could be later. I hoped to have a couple more of weeks...

So this is my last harvest, except some 7pods, piri piri and cherry:
ibkgNdWaRiGKT0.jpg

Also some cayenna and a naga morich from a friend of mine. And some from my aunt on right.

Well, probably no need to update more, maybe when i've dried all peppers i could do another one. In case let's see us on other glogs and in 2015 one.

Thanks to all for the interest, and sincere thanks, since my glog is not so interesting comparing to others bur you showed support the same!
I really like that community, people are nice and it's absolutely not boring!
All the best!

Balls, I loved your glog :P

That's terrible about the plowing, but you've had a good run, and now you know to plant earlier next year hehe. That mystery pod looks nice.

Thanks miguelovic! :D The soii isn't mine so i really can't complain. :P Next year i hope to grow a bit better, for example i haven't used any fertilizer or similar, i haven't used even water since there was too much rain. Really zero maintenance, just hand plowing some soil to remove grass.

Btw i said for sure a ball, because here another update. Specifically about rocoto.
That one still has no pods. Also for sure soil lacked something.
So i've checked at home and found that 2 stuff:
ibbSO01LDLvLW3.jpg

ibly4FidIV7G7B.jpg

Ok, italian, but it's understandable i believe. So i mixed that and gave to rocoto.
Also i had some stuff rich on calcium and i've used some of that too.

Hope that will be good.
Cause rocoto has those problems:

i0rSbGmvKK8nx.jpg

Irregular new leaves

ibgjo20JNI0KxD.jpg

Holes. Don't know if for grasshoppers, snails or lack of manganese.

ibnJHFSKqifqbZ.jpg

Yellow leaves and dark veins.

Btw here a photo of the kitten:
ibuufNAANtzFkN.jpg

Herbicide no...
Bugs probably, grasshoppers, i don't believe snails.
Cold, definetly not for rocoto. But it did stop others plants for a while.

Btw that plant after that fertilizers seems exactly the same.

Back