• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Essegi 2015

Here i am with my humble growing!
That year only superhots, there were just too many that i wanted to try.

The seeds, all form Semillas:
i3Bz4S98XmOZH.jpg

I gave 5 of each to a friend of mine. So i have 6 of all but TSMCaramel (7), BrainStrain (5) and Jay Peach (5).
Total 59.
I plan to keep 2 of each + 1 for another friend of mine. If more, giveaway.

Today i started that seeds:
ibxwAGx72iEMvS.jpg

Overwintered:
iXv4onS8jWY7M.jpg

7pod on left (maybe i'll give it to an aunt of mine), rocoto on right. Maybe i pruned it too ealy... I hope that year to harvest something from that one.

Well... Now let's see who germintates...

Since i have no sprout to show i start with some pizza of yesterday.
Tomato passata is homemade from tomatoes of 2014. Also I used fatalli and moruga powder on some. Toppings: pepperoni, bacon, red onion marinated in evo and bp and salt, olives, mozz (thick slices).

ibvKHqJPHTBlfv.jpg

ik4J1dNUdLY4a.jpg

iifa1DkKkg942.jpg

irbqH1qYvpbUV.jpg

ibmvhMQFn6QJZC.jpg

i2WKr9kt9ejAi.jpg

Airiness looks very irregular and mostly bad (the third one is the only decent in that regard), at least taste was good.

lucilanga said:
Happy 2015!
What a better way to start a new season than with a pizza!
Looking great as always
Following this with great interest.
Good luck with 2015 growth!
Thanks!
Those pizza were some experiments (it's my way to call the usage of a wrong flour for that, also i did something wrong with no kenad because dough at stretching time was still much lumpy, never happened before).

What about your growing?

sicman said:
Noice. Awesome pies and all them little cups filled with dirt. Best of luck on the grow.
Thanks sic! If at end of season i'll have 1/1000 of your firepowder i'll be happy! :D

Looks good Essegi!  Pizza looks like it's to die for!  How do you bake them?  Your gonna have tons of superhots to spice up all of Italia!

Jamison said:
Looks good Essegi!  Pizza looks like it's to die for!  How do you bake them?  Your gonna have tons of superhots to spice up all of Italia!
Thanks! But really nothing special (i'm not too good making that kind of pizza). Speaking about heat... I'm not sure i'll be able to finish moruga powder before new peppers will be ready. It's so... Damn hot! :D

The method is interesting cause you just need a standard oven. Also some strong flour (manitoba is good here), though that time i used a barely medium flour... High water on flour (like 80-85) and a no knead method. Also no expensive gadgets. Just a blue iron baking tray (i don't have that but i'm buying it, in the mean while i use some standard baking tray). Seems that iron is better than alluminium for that. Dough ripe time 24 to 48hrs, on fridge, depending on flour.
Strechting dough is maybe the most difficult thing. Rolling pin is not possible with a so soft dough, also it depends when panielli (dough balls) are done.

For baking itself: precooking dough, with a bit of oil spread above to prevent drying, in lowest position (i mean on bottom with a grill on middle), for...10 minutes (it should be fine to precook 5-6 mins but then you need to cook on low position again).
That should help rising dough (not that i've achieved 
Then top it and cook until ready in top position with grill if you want.
So cooking of toppings is faster and better (overcooking cheese imho it's just bad).

Following that thread (i hope gtranslate will do good, btw videos are without voice).
http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&langpair=it%7Cen&rurl=translate.google.com&u=http://laconfraternitadellapizza.forumfree.it/%3Ft%3D69617704&usg=ALkJrhgjSpUIotQkVwrFVcXpb10onT3G0w

EnZyMe X said:
"only" super hot :fireball:
good luck for your growing season!
Thanks! Yeah, just super that year... :P
I somewhat regret that choice... I started to use powders just after ordering seeds...Maybe my fav is fatalli one, not too hot and great in taste. Moruga and choco bhut sometimes are even too strong (btw i really like moruga taste). Really another level comparing to fresh.
But for sauces and cutting fresh inside food i stil like supers the most.

Next season i'll have something more balanced. For example i still haven't experienced Datils and Scotch Bonnet.

Essegi said:
Thanks! Yeah, just super that year... :P
I somewhat regret that choice... I started to use powders just after ordering seeds...Maybe my fav is fatalli one, not too hot and great in taste. Moruga and choco bhut sometimes are even too strong (btw i really like moruga taste). Really another level comparing to fresh.
But for sauces and cutting fresh inside food i stil like supers the most.

Next season i'll have something more balanced. For example i still haven't experienced Datils and Scotch Bonnet.

Yep bro ...Fatalii is definitely one of my favorites, to be used anywhere.
the moruga caramel i've had the last season, really insane! doubtful about varieties caramel, it is hard to understand their optimum ripeness.

No annuum?! goat's weed, vietato ... 

EnZyMe X said:

Yep bro ...Fatalii is definitely one of my favorites, to be used anywhere.
the moruga caramel i've had the last season, really insane! doubtful about varieties caramel, it is hard to understand their optimum ripeness.

No annuum?! goat's weed, vietato ... 
Peter from Semillas said that Moruga Caramel is really nasty. :P
Last year Moruga Red was surely my better plant: big, healthy, productive, big pods and maybe the best taste between superhots of last year.

For annums... I've already some from an aunt of mine (2 types from Calabria, 2 from Thailand) plus maybe something random from other uncles...
Btw that year for sure i'll look something different form chinense. Being a newbie i had still the noob impuise of seeking the hottest, now i surpassed that phase. :P
Also i really hope my rocoto will produce some pods (last year it didn't), i've big expectations from it. Growing some other pubecens appeals me.
For sure next year i'll still grow mostly chinense (2 or 3 supers, let's say 1 for mean heat, 2 for taste, scotch bonnet, maybe moa, datil and some habanero i've never tried are mandatory), then i'll see. ;)

Of those of this year i'm most curious about Brainstrain, Moruga Caramel and Chocolate for the heat, Peach Bhut and Moruga Yellow for taste (bhut peach for looking too!), both Jay's and BBG for looking (and for heat too!). Primo and Butch T seemed an educational choice to me.:p

Essegi said:
Peter from Semillas said that Moruga Caramel is really nasty. :P
Last year Moruga Red was surely my better plant: big, healthy, productive, big pods and maybe the best taste between superhots of last year.

For annums... I've already some from an aunt of mine (2 types from Calabria, 2 from Thailand) plus maybe something random from other uncles...
Btw that year for sure i'll look something different form chinense. Being a newbie i had still the noob impuise of seeking the hottest, now i surpassed that phase. :P
Also i really hope my rocoto will produce some pods (last year it didn't), i've big expectations from it. Growing some other pubecens appeals me.
For sure next year i'll still grow mostly chinense (2 or 3 supers, let's say 1 for mean heat, 2 for taste, scotch bonnet, maybe moa, datil and some habanero i've never tried are mandatory), then i'll see. ;)

Of those of this year i'm most curious about Brainstrain, Moruga Caramel and Chocolate for the heat, Peach Bhut and Moruga Yellow for taste (bhut peach for looking too!), both Jay's and BBG for looking (and for heat too!). Primo and Butch T seemed an educational choice to me. :P

Hi Essegi,
Plants Moruga are powerless, you deserve the tubs from 180l lol. Well, it takes a bit of annuum imho.
You will see that the Rocoto will give you great satisfaction, love those plants.. does not look like a newbie.

The brain strain i've never had, even i am curious to see him in action, Moruga chocolate it seemed weaker than its name ... maybe the brown  is more violent, separate discussion for jay's HUGE plant bears pods like crazy, but I will not tell you more, good growth pepper, buddy!

cheers.

Pizza Glog!  Gotta love it.  They look delicious - I'd eat any of those crusts.

Love your country as well.  I was there 38 years ago and so want to go back!

Italy is THE one country I'd love to visit! My fathers side of the family hailed from the Milan area. There's only 9 males with our last name in the US.

Great looking Pizza!

Can't wait to see your fantastic photos!

Good luck this season!

EnZyMe X said:
Hi Essegi,
Plants Moruga are powerless, you deserve the tubs from 180l lol. Well, it takes a bit of annuum imho.
You will see that the Rocoto will give you great satisfaction, love those plants.. does not look like a newbie.

The brain strain i've never had, even i am curious to see him in action, Moruga chocolate it seemed weaker than its name ... maybe the brown  is more violent, separate discussion for jay's HUGE plant bears pods like crazy, but I will not tell you more, good growth pepper, buddy!

cheers.
Thanks!
That year i hava an half idea to cross something (peach bhut with moruga yellow or brainstrain or butch T or even 7pod if i keep the plant) but probably i'll be too lazy to try. :P

cone9 said:
Pizza Glog!  Gotta love it.  They look delicious - I'd eat any of those crusts.

Love your country as well.  I was there 38 years ago and so want to go back!
Thanks! I hope next pizzas will be better, i must solve an issue with ebay then i'll order a new cooking tray in blue iron... Sooner or later (i fear later) i want a new oven that is good for neapolitan style (imho the best, it just requires so high heat...).

Devv said:
Italy is THE one country I'd love to visit! My fathers side of the family hailed from the Milan area. There's only 9 males with our last name in the US.

Great looking Pizza!

Can't wait to see your fantastic photos!

Good luck this season!
Thanks Scott! When i'll se sprouts i'll try some better photos! :D

And for Italy thanks both for your kind words. ;)

That pizza looks killer.

Nice heat level in your short list, SG,
should be a great grow.

PaulG said:
That pizza looks killer.

Nice heat level in your short list, SG,
should be a great grow.
Thanks Paul! Average heat level could be even too much... But the game has started now! :D

"Airiness looks very irregular and mostly bad"

SG, you can send me your reject pizzas anytime!

Jeff H said:
Looking good Essegi. Pizza looks great too.
Thanks Jeff!

PaulG said:
"Airiness looks very irregular and mostly bad"

SG, you can send me your reject pizzas anytime!
Eh he, not that my pizza is bad, but the day i'll make something like that i'll be satisfied: http://www.laverace.info/forum/download/file.php?id=10 :D

Just attached the pole to hang the light:
iUPaIpr5mOdo8.jpg

The pole is like 50 years old lol. That seems a bit more safe than last year.
Temp is 27°C. Now i've turned it up a bit, i should reach 28°C.
That room is extremely dry: i used to dry peppers and had great results while with using oven i had not. Btw it seems that watering a bit once per day is fine.

Back