• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Ethnic food

Yes, they are indeed fun fish to catch. sadly I didn't catch this one, only bought it. they catch them in nearby countries (sounds far, but only a couple hundred miles away) and deliver them here.

Thank you, Jay. :)

Omri, I want to fish with this guy!

http://theflyfishingrabbi.blogspot.com/p/fishing-in-israel.html

Who knew there could be great fishing in Israel? I didn't. Omri, I think it would be great if you started a thread about Israel, whether it be about food, fishing, or anything else. All we ever get about your country is the usual political stuff and I for one would love to get the facts and info about daily life from someone like yourself. Example...Omri's visit to an avocado farm, or Omri's Israel Burger Tour. What car do you drive? No car, how do you get around? Do tell.

Omri, I want to fish with this guy!

http://theflyfishing...-in-israel.html

Who knew there could be great fishing in Israel? I didn't. Omri, I think it would be great if you started a thread about Israel, whether it be about food, fishing, or anything else. All we ever get about your country is the usual political stuff and I for one would love to get the facts and info about daily life from someone like yourself. Example...Omri's visit to an avocado farm, or Omri's Israel Burger Tour. What car do you drive? No car, how do you get around? Do tell.
We do have great fishing in Israel. With access to two completely different salt water seas (Mediterranean and Red seas), a fresh water lake (Sea of Galilee) and an extensive network of rivers and streams sourced in snowy mountains, we do have a very large variety of fish available. anything from sharks to trouts and catfish. I personally live in a harbor city called Ashdod where fishing and fish in general are a big part of the culture. kids spend their time fishing (or surfing) and some of the best seafood restaurants in the country are nearby. my particular city has a very large population of groupers (mainly Dusky and White groupers) living nearby, and as they're the best tasting fish in the world, they're also quite popular. for anglers and chefs. it's hard not being part of the "fishing scene" when the beach is a 5 minute walk away. it's quite common to see kids and teens walking around the city with rods and surfing boards, going to, or coming from the beach. Ashdod is the fifth largest city in Israel and the population is around 250,000 people. with an overall population of around 7,000,000 and the area of Jersey, it's quite an achievement. feel free to Google for pictures. it's a beautiful city.

What do I drive? well, I don't as I've been in a car accident which destroyed my car completely and most of my movement capability. before that I had a beautiful Mercedes-Benz SLK.

We also have the most amazing cuisine and social life, but I guess that's for another day.

Omri, I LOVE YOUR PICS. The fish look so yuuuuuuuuuuuuuumyyyyyyyyyyyyy. Wish to have better access to fresh fish over here,but...well for now I could enjoy looking at your pics. :lol:

I had a bit of challenge around Christmas with my teens. :rofl: I made traditional Christmas bread from my Native Country and told my teens to NOT TOUCH IT. The bread was a gift for good friend of mine. Well here is a pic of a bread before was baked. :)

DSC02633.jpg

and here how it looked 15 min after came out of oven. :eek:

DSC02637.jpg

That night I went to bed after midnight,finishing a new bread for my friend and made sure to tell my teens that I would booby trap new bread in case they would attack it again. :rofl:

ELA!!!!!!! Long time! Too long!

Being the mother of teens, I would have expected you to know to make 2 the first time? "Here you go kids, this one's for you... don't even think about THIS one! I'll keeeel you!" LOL

How you been? We miss your "fresh" perspective/ baking 'round here!

Scooooooooooooooooooooooooov,glad to see you to buddy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)
I know I admitted, I have screwed up with my teens. :doh: I have spoiled them badly that now I have to cook and bake for entire army, just keep food for others safe from teens attacks :rofl:
I have decided to prepare myself a lot better to avoid future similar problems.
cowboypistol.gif

april92.jpg

There let me see who would dare to test me now :rofl:

Now after all Holiday baking/cooking I’m ready for some good TLCs.
bathtime.gif

Happy New Year to you and everybody else.
greenstars.gif

Happy New Year Ela!!!!!!! I want you to know you've inspired my first resolution this year....bake more...and use my hands!!!

True story...2 nights ago I dreamt I was baking...all night long!!!! In my dream I made pizza dough, then french bread, then boule...and it was the best dream EVER!!!!!!!!

Now...to make my dreams a reality! Cheers to you Sweetie!!!! I think you should create a baking show...

Happy New Year Ela!!!!!!! I want you to know you've inspired my first resolution this year....bake more...and use my hands!!!

True story...2 nights ago I dreamt I was baking...all night long!!!! In my dream I made pizza dough, then french bread, then boule...and it was the best dream EVER!!!!!!!!

Now...to make my dreams a reality! Cheers to you Sweetie!!!! I think you should create a baking show...
CJ,nice dream..but reality pics would be nice.Com'on wee need some pics from you. :) Unless I win big my baking show would be only in my dreams. :lol:

Not gonna touch that one. :lol:

Why not? :D

Yesterday was pretty bad day for skiing, not enough snow on slopes. Day before we got some freezing rain and trails got hard to ski on so kids and I bailed out of skiing after lunch. My son was very disappointed how weekend turned out. He flapped with his gums all day yestarday about poor ski season and how his life sucks because of that. :rolleyes: To keep myself sane I made gnocchi with oven roasted chicken and spinach. :lol:

Gnocchi
2 lb russet potatoes
1 egg
Pinch of salt
About 2 cups of flour
1/2 tsp Mushroom based jalapeno powder ( I got it from HIxs)

DSC02659.jpg

DSC02661.jpg

DSC02662.jpg

With nice gorgonzola sauce and glass of white vine my launch was just perfect remady for all gums flapping :lol:

I haven't posted in a while any pics and recipes in this thread,so here is a ol' Italian classic

Chicken Marsala

DSC02870.jpg

DSC02875.jpg

Ingredients for 4 servings:

1/4 cup all purpose flour for coating
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp dried oregano
4 skinless,boneless chicken breast halves- pounded 1/4 inch thick
4 tbsp butter
4 tbsp olive oil
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1/2 cup Marsala Dry Wine
1/4 cup cooking Sherry

Prep:

1. In a shallow bowl mix together flour,salt, pepper and oregano.Coat chicken pieces in flour mixture.

2. In a large skillet, melt butter in olive oil over medium heat. Place chicken in the skillet,and lightly brown.Turn over chicken pieces, and add mushrooms.Pour in wine and Sherry.Cover skillet,simmer chicken 10 min, turning once,until no longer pink and juices run clear.

Note: The original recipe doesn't have any onion or hot peppers but what is a recipe with out tweaking it ,so I added 1 cup onion and fabulous Ghost Fire Hot Sauce we got from Salsalady. Thank you Ann. :)

Looks delicious, Ela!
I think it's my turn to contribute an ethnic dish. today is Friday and that means tonight is the eve of Shabbat. as usual, we must have fish!

This is my version of Chrayme made with perch.
icon_smile.gif

78089601.jpg

53866852.jpg

94089373.jpg

33889165.jpg

40240902.jpg

28886680o.jpg

70369352.jpg

I can't believe how good that looks. I don't think I eat enough fish!

Hi All
I didn't know this thread was here before... I'll have to stop by more often. Here's a perfect summer cooler for a hot day... Also helps cool down someone who got a bit more pepper heat than they bargained for!
IMAG0065.jpg

Israeli Couscous, Lemon, Mint, Cucumber, fruity Olive Oil and Feta cheese.

Ok, do you just eat it with a fork or with chips or stuff it in a pita? Maybe a Romaine lettuce wrap? It looks so good that google might have to be my friend. That really does look good for a snack on a hot afternoon!

Ok, do you just eat it with a fork or with chips or stuff it in a pita? Maybe a Romaine lettuce wrap? It looks so good that google might have to be my friend. That really does look good for a snack on a hot afternoon!
All your proposals sound good to me! We had it for supper tonight on a bed of lettuce and mizuna fresh from the veggie garden.

kosher salt
1 c Israeli Couscous
1 med. English Cuke, peeled and chopped
half a cup of coarsely chopped spearmint or pineapple mint leaves
a quarter cup of fruity olive oil
juice of a freshly squeezed lemon (grate zest first, then squeeze)
finely grated zest of a lemon
freshly ground black pepper
1 c feta cheese, diced small

In a large saucepan, bring 2 quarts of well-salted water to a boil. Meanwhile, in a med. skillet over med. heat toast the couscous, stirring frequently until golden-brown (about 7 minutes). Cook couscous in boiling water until tender, about 10 min. drain, and rinse under cold running water until cool. Pour into large mixing bowl and add cucumber and mint. In small mixing bowl, stir together oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, three quarters tsp salt, one quarter tsp black pepper. Stir in the feta. Add feta mixture to couscous and mix well. Season to taste with salt, pepper and additional lemon juice if desired. Refrigerate until serving. Serves 4-6

I picked my first three eggplants of the season and my kid sister is visiting from Eau Claire, WI so I decided to make some Baba Ganouj to bring over when we go to visit today. The eggplant were all between a pound and a pound and a half.
SANY0658.jpg

Fired up the charcoal grill and smoke-roasted the eggplant until they were black and blistered all around.

SANY0659.jpg

Scooped out the soft pulp and discarded the burnt skin.

SANY0660.jpg

Added the pulp to the food processor, then three green onions from the garden.

SANY0661.jpg

put three crushed cloves of garlic into my suribachi with a large pinch of salt and ground it to a paste... then added it to the food processor with 5 tbsp of lemon juice, 5 tbsp of tahini, 5 tbsp of fruity olive oil and salt and pepper to taste.

SANY0663.jpg

When processed to a smooth paste... taste, and adjust with salt and lemon to your preference. Serve with pita wedges, crackers or chips.

I absolutely love eggplants and those look great!
I usually make tahini and pour it all over the whole, yet pealed, just roasted eggplant. mmm...

I can't believe how good that looks. I don't think I eat enough fish!
Thanks, Chewi. :)
You totally should. fish are tasty and good for you as well. great source of protein, too, if you're into that.

Back