• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Everclear, Smoked Scorpions, 3 years.

I just discovered a 16 ounce jar of everclear & smoked scorpions that was heat processed and put up to "mellow" (I almost burnt my kitchen down during the process, Never Ever process almost pure alcohol over a open flame burner!) The original intent was to make a hickory smoked extract but now I'm not sure if I want to go through the heating thing again! LOL, Any one have any suggestions about what to do with it? (& Hell NO I'm not drinking it!)

Butch T

perhaps get an induction heater plate for next time Butch... it's efficient and flame free (you have to check the metal type of your pot first, some don't work. i think aluminium wont conduct)

Yeah pure alcohol isn't really very flammable at low temperatures, but as soon as you start heating it up.. bye bye eyebrows!

HI Butch,

you should be able to cook it down if you use a tall, wide bottomed stock pot so the flame won't come close to the alcohol, or as millwork said, it will eventually evaporate.

edit- Hubby just suggested it would make one hellova Bloody Mary~~~

In the initial canning when I removed it from the bwb the change in temp caused it to bypass the lid and spew out around the edge,
of course the burner was still lit, and then the counter, the bottle and the stove was lit too! LOL I have a very small slow cooker, I wonder
if it would be safe to evaporate it down in? New years eve is coming up, Smoked Scorpion Bloody Mary's? (with 190 proof alcohol no less!) may be a
very interesting option!

I'd try just air evaporating it first. Put it in a wide pan or bowl so it has a lot of surface area, (cover with a loose weave cheese cloth if there are bugs that might fall into it) and leave it out on the counter. watch it for a couple days and see how it's going. A warm spot like on top of a hot water tank or refer would probably help. Also, if it's not going fast enough after a couple days, a small fan blowing across would help the evaproation process.

Then, if, on Sun/Mon it's not where you want it, consider cooking off. Also, consider the material of the pan used for cooking off...and also for air evaporating. SS, glass, unchipped enamel seem like good choices. I wouldn't use aluminum or copper.

Thinking as I'm typing here....a glass cake pan, pyrex casserole dish or other glass/SS baking dish would be a good evaporating pan.

Those sound like some WICKED Bloody Mary's!

Are we talking just liquid here or are the peppers still in it? If just liquid then yeah just evaporate it. if the peppers are still in there though I'm thinking run it all though a food mill to remove a lot of the pulp and such and then evaporate what's left. That way you get a good portion of the solids out of the way and it'll evaporate faster and it won't be trapped in and on the peppers.

Thanks for all the suggestions, tomorrow night I'm going to try a scorpion Bloody Mary. I'm actually a bit afraid
after a experience with some preserved Scorpions this evening, but ya gotta start the new year off right! My wife always
say's that whatever you do on New Years Day, you will do through out the coming year!

Thanks for all the suggestions, tomorrow night I'm going to try a scorpion Bloody Mary. I'm actually a bit afraid
after a experience with some preserved Scorpions this evening, but ya gotta start the new year off right! My wife always
say's that whatever you do on New Years Day, you will do through out the coming year!

How'd that work out for ya?

Back