• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Extensive Database Brainstorm

arrgh said:
great idea!  I was planning on making a post asking for the size of the plants I'm getting. All I've found so far is that reepers are huge, and scotch bonnets are tiny.

Since you posted this, I will keep looking for my others, and wait a couple days, at least, before asking about the rest. Hopefully someone will post a good source here.
well this year, here up north in Quebec the scotch bonnets plants where the biggest (height and width) in my garden and the reepers where medium size.

Might be an Idea to have a the USDA Plant Hardiness Zone as a reference for the size?

Size and typical shu is going to be relative and hard to determine - too many environmental factors to really consider.  I'd like 'common name', 'biological name' (annum, bactum, chinsense), 'hotness' (mild, medium, hot, superhot), 'days to fruit' (from transplant), 'information' (blurbs about size, taste, flowers, etc line).  <-- those things can't be that hard to assemble.  What will be hard is taking everyone's existing data and making sense of it all.  

floricole said:

well this year, here up north in Quebec the scotch bonnets plants where the biggest (height and width) in my garden and the reepers where medium size.

Might be an Idea to have a the USDA Plant Hardiness Zone as a reference for the size?

I searched for a couple hours and finally found the reaper was supposed to be 5 to 6 ft high., and the scotch bonnet is supposed to be 1.5 to 2 ft high.  No idea how reliable the sites I saw that on are though.

It seems like that would would be important info for all the pepper wikis to have.  But apparently not :(

oh meh gewwd must read all of it :D

this going to eventually expand to have a small pic or link to a pic of a ripe pod to see an example?

yeah last time i was updating wikipedia buckeye and pepperlover said it would be fine to use their pictures.

picture column is to the right.

A Google doc isn't going to do it, IMO.

What really needs to be done is a public/open CMS or wiki. Several experienced individuals would need admin status to lock editing and prevent spam and incorrect data entry.

There are several systems that can be implemented quite quickly, and have much more advanced features than a simple excel file. It could even go as far as phenotypes of varieties.

It would be nice to know what crosses are out there, but I feel like many people would keep them under the radar until already stabilized.

Yea a custom database with all that is like a job though lol.

The spreadsheet in the meantime is a good prototype that we can use as input later if one were to be created.

The best case would be a graph database, and they are available hosted, and the data would remain inexpensive to store so long as the photo data was kept separate and linked externally. I was going to make a webapp a few years back for folks here so that sourcemaps would be stored ...

free.sourcemap.com

honestly, versioning is the key here, and git is available cross-platform ...

i'm trying to figure out if i can teach people how to install (or access, really) git, knowing that github is pretty good at edit in the browser for git repositories these days ...

if i can get folks using git, it opens up the possibility of having the versioned recipe db I'd really be interested in participating in ...

so, i'm considering doing a series of tutorials on basic git, so we can have branching/forking for pepper and recipe data ...

hmmmm ...

There is a truly impressive resource for tomatoes that does what I believe you're seeking to achieve here.
It has codes for defining characteristics and a general description, but then there are additional descriptions by contributors and you can know their location and such to form your own balanced opinion.

Take a look

Tatiana's Tomatobase. Here's an example;

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Cuostralee

A great idea coach that I fully endorse!

ChilliJez said:
There is a truly impressive resource for tomatoes that does what I believe you're seeking to achieve here.
It has codes for defining characteristics and a general description, but then there are additional descriptions by contributors and you can know their location and such to form your own balanced opinion.

Take a look

Tatiana's Tomatobase. Here's an example;

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Cuostralee

A great idea coach that I fully endorse!
Looks like she's got a pepper section too. http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Category:Hot_Peppers

Back