• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Fade's Grow Log 2010

Well its been a long time since I last posted on the forum due to being very busy.
I hope all is well with everyone, and that you had a very happy new year!
Here are some pics of what I'm currently growing.

IMG_1512.jpg

IMG_1513.jpg

My Yellow Scotch Bonnets that are planted in ground are loaded and continue to be heavy producers.

IMG_1505.jpg

IMG_1503.jpg

Some Chocolate Habs

They are 2 different peppers. The Marouga red that you got from THSC is more like a red hab, while the Trinidad Scorpion Marouga Blend is a super hot variety that is very much like the 7 pot Brain Strain. I think I sent you a few of those Brent when I sent the other scorpions. I can't remember for sure though.

jacob

Hey all...

I have experienced the same type of leaf curling/stunted growth here in south florida...the new growth/buds are stunted and brittle...

Plants screaming for bone meal???

Thanks

Good luck fade

Hey fade. U remember I was having the same leaf curl problem... I repotted and added nutes and thought that was it but the problem is back and now it's effecting 2 of my seedlings

Anyway I took one seedling into the local nursery and the head Gardner was 99% sure it was mite damage, so I've just started a Eco oil+insect soap treatment. I still can't see any mites(even after the white paper test) but I'm sure it's not a soil/ nute problem. Isolate the plant and start treating for mites

Indeed Bennoz, I have yet to see a mite but I have seen very fine spider webs all over the yellow 7 pod plant.
Im fairly sure its not nutrient related. They have reappeared the next day after covering with malathion.
From what i have read they are a real pain in the ass to get rid of.

Well it looks like the same weird leaf deforming is starting to happen on my healthy fatali plant.
I have been using insecticide once a week trying to control spider mites if they are indeed the entire issue.
But on this plant i see no signs of mites or their webs but the leaves are starting to look sick.
I really dont know what else I can do :(

Hmmm... still battling the mites? Major bummer, man!

I'm not doing so well with the little shits either. The last of my plants have all fallen victim now too and I have to spray them every 2 or 3 days just to try and stay above. What sucks even more, growth is all stunted and I don't know whether to just get rid of my plants and call it a season or continue with my overwintering plan :

I'm one very pissed off chap at the moment......

I'm doing the same trying to kill mites to no avail. I'm sure the problem is pest related but may not be mite. I have a heap of whitefly I can't get rid of so I'm starting to think the problem may lie under the soil surface.

Here is the previously posted, perfectly healthy Morouga Red Hab that is no more.
It is now showing the same brittle, brown leaf curling most of my other plants suffered.
I have taken all precautions with this plant. Watered with rain water only, soil ph 6.8, fertilized once every two weeks and also sprayed for pests regularly.
After inspecting the plant I see no signs of pests dead or alive. The plant can have an area with this going on and a perfectly normal section at the same time.
Also if you cut off an infected area the plant will then grow new normal growth with the same issue possibly affecting the area again after it has started to grow.
There has to be some cause and solution for this issue. I currently have over 100 sedlings that are perfectly healthy but if this is their fate i just feel like giving up and stop wasting time and effort.

IMG_1623.jpg

IMG_1622.jpg

IMG_1620.jpg

IMG_1619.jpg

Mate, I feel for ya. I do. I'm still having the same issue and now it's on 5 of my 7 plants - really disheartening.

After a bit of reading and asking around I'm thinking it's not mite / pest related at all. I think the problem has to do with overwatering and lack or air to the roots. There's too much water being held in the pots that your basically drowning them. Or even the pots are too big and the plant can't use up all the available water

Ive been leaving my pots on a steep angle and added a wick to the bottom ( just a mop string) and the amount of water that came out was pretty amazing. There's even been a slight improvement after a week. This weekend I plan to repot the worst plant and add some pine bark and perlite to the mix to airate it.

I've tried everything else - may as well give this a go!

Thanks for the response Bennoz.

Im not to sure if my issue is over watering. I really dont water my potted plants untill they start to wilt and the in ground plants rarely ever get watered because they rarely look like they need it.
The Red Savina and Yellow 7 pod have been doing better since starting the insecticide spraying but they still suffer from the damage.
Ive recently read that mites are not greatly affected by insecticide as they are not insects. They require something called miticide to be more effective.
This may explain why the problem continues even with my use of malathion.

Update 4-11-10

One of Yellow Scotch Bonnet plants is just exploding with pods as temps are rising and summer approaches.
IMG_1634.jpg

Scotch Bonnets, Bonda Ma Jaques, Mustard Hab and PRF 7pods.
IMG_1629.jpg

Larger PRF 7pods just trasplanted to larger pots.
IMG_1630.jpg

Bhut Jolokia, Congo Trinidad, 7 Pod Janah, Red Hab, Yellow SB and a Nova Naga Cross also transplanted to larger pots.
IMG_1631.jpg

Plants are looking great! Very happy to see that most of your efforts are being well rewarded ;) Will be watching this thread to see what the problem with your one sick plant seems to be. Good luck!

SS I've read breifly over the link that you posted. It seems that just about in all cases, that harm is done by mass industrial fogging / spraying of the insecticide.
When I apply the insecticide, it is applied by a light spray on my plants and is not in a fine mist / fog which can be inhaled.
I'm sure its not the safest thing in the world but I've tried many of the natural pest control methods such as oil, soap, garlic and water which had minimal effect especially on aphids.
My seedlings under the light recently had a massive aphid infestation and after one light spraying of malathion they have been aphid free for 2 weeks.
Thanks for the information though SS I appreciate it. I've just had so many of my plants destroyed by pests that its been extreamly frustrating.

Very frustrating indeed, FTB! Sorry to hear the problem still continues.

I am still battling the same crap myself. A couple days ago, both my Manzano Amarillo plants just packed up and died. They were both suffering the brittle leaf curling and eventually just dropped their leaves. They are both just twigs sticking out of the ground now......

gasificada said:
Very frustrating indeed, FTB! Sorry to hear the problem still continues.

I am still battling the same crap myself. A couple days ago, both my Manzano Amarillo plants just packed up and died. They were both suffering the brittle leaf curling and eventually just dropped their leaves. They are both just twigs sticking out of the ground now......

That sucks gasificada.

I am beggining to wonder if this is some type of disease the plant contracts from aphids or mites.
When the small plants show symptoms the growth seems to become stunted and when some new normal growth comes out it soon becomes brittle and curled too with brown rust looking diposits on the bottom sides of the leaves (which does not wipe off)
I have had larger plants be effected on certain areas of the plant then seems to spread to all new growth and then all of a sudden have normal new growth which then cycles back to going brittle and curled.

Here is a pic of my yellow 7 pod for example which has yet to set a pod. All the blossoms just drop off.

IMG_1615.jpg

As you can see some areas of the plant seem to recover, but then it seems to start again.

By the way i have two healthy chocolate habs next to this plant which are growing great without issues. Which further confuses me.
Why arent these two chocolate habs been attacked and the others are?

IMG_1633.jpg

As you can see some areas of the plant seem to recover, but then it seems to start again.

Back