• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Fade's Grow Log 2010

Well its been a long time since I last posted on the forum due to being very busy.
I hope all is well with everyone, and that you had a very happy new year!
Here are some pics of what I'm currently growing.

IMG_1512.jpg

IMG_1513.jpg

My Yellow Scotch Bonnets that are planted in ground are loaded and continue to be heavy producers.

IMG_1505.jpg

IMG_1503.jpg

Some Chocolate Habs

Fade if I catch a break from the rain tomorrow I'll post some pics of the Red Caribs I have that are showing the same symptoms as your plants....

I moved some sickly plants outside the screen room, the pics I'm going to take are plants that are just beginning to develop the problem

I really think it is some kind or virus and I'm hoping it won't spread if I isolate the plants...

BTW I gave one plant a good shot of bone meal and I've only used dish soap and water to spray for pests...no chemicals

Here's a macro of the underside of a leave I took from the plant....I've been spraying with soap water, so not sure if the bumps are residue. It looks like blistering or maybe eggs??? You may need to right click the image and save it...open with something to zoom in...

sickleaveeggs.jpg

Thats the exact same problem i have bossman.
On alot of my leaves there is a lot of brown coloration on the bottom side of the badly curled areas.
Do you notice any of this on your leaves bossman?

FadeToBlack said:
Thats the exact same problem i have bossman.
On alot of my leaves there is a lot of brown coloration on the bottom side of the badly curled areas.
Do you notice any of this on your leaves bossman?

The brown color is the next stage...look at the 3rd pic and you'll see that the new growth is already starting to take on a brown/bronze color...the leaves feel tough and/or crisp...I'm not far from Ft Lauderdale if you feel like checkin them out in person....are you already on your way back?

I had this problem last year on all my peppers. I finally decided it was leaf spot bacteria, which came in on some Tabasco transplants I bought at Lowes. The only effective solution was heavy, frequent treatment of over-strong Daconil (2 oz. per gallon). Leaf spot is extremely hard to get rid of, and will spread through a pepper garden quickly. Very humid, rainy weather exacerbates it. The bell peppers were most susceptible, and the Caribbean Reds seemed to be the most resistant.

Look like aphids...I tried with the soapy water but i found i had to repeat everyday because they would come right back.
I have used malathion with much better results but obviously more toxic which is why i bought the other stuff previously posted.

I just hope my plants havent gotten infested during the time I have been gone.

Try spraying with neem and Ivory dish soap, you may have to spray every other day for a week, should take of all your bugs.your plants have good growth, look to need Calcium Phosphate lack of will also cause same kind of problems. works great here on the island in white fly heaven, if you want to make some Calcium your self, pm me for simple recipe

I have found that spraying w/fish based nutes leaves a nasty taste a lot of bugs don't like. Haven't seen any bugs since I began using it. No more soapy water, oils, etc.

Fade..

Did you make it back to the island yet?

I've been hitting the troubled plants with everything....foliar feed for blossom end rot (Calcium Chloride I believe), Epsom salts watered into soil, and fish emulsion....figure I have nothing to lose since it's only a couple of plants....

I suspect that when you return home you'll find that your plants look about the same as when you left...dry, crinkly leaves and little or no new growth...the plants I have appear a nice deep green but don't grow and still have the hard, dry, crinkly leaves...I snipped the crinkly stuff off of the top of one to see if it aids in the new growth

If one takes a serious turn for the worse then I'll pull that puppy out and see what the roots look like...

My potted patio plants for the most part are really doing well in full sun with the exception of the few that are suffering from the same issues as yours..

The plants I put in the ground are just sitting there doing nothing, at least topside...I think the roots are getting established and when the rain comes next month they're gonna wake up....we'll see...

Bossman..

I made it back yesterday and thankfully most of my plants are still in good shape. Except those of course with the bad leaf curling issue.
I've taken some more pics with my new camera I bought while i was away :)

Here is One of the 2 Chocolate habs i have planted in ground (the second is right behind it)
This plant is really one of the healthies I have and is about 4 ft tall now.

P1000012.jpg

Here is the Red Savina which is looking alot better with some normal looking new groeth started.
It only has set one pod though which you can see on the bottom left of the picture.
On the right side you can see that yellow 7 pod which still looks terrible and has dropped every blossom :(

P1000014.jpg

For some reason on my post above it thinks im posting 4 images when I only have 2.
I dont know what thats about....

On the left is a Fatali plant which is doing "OK" it now has 4 fatali peppers on it which im really curious about tasting as Ive never had them before
On the right is supposed to be a red scotch bonnet plant which has made an amazing recovery since my last pic.

P1000015.jpg

Here are a couple of my fatali pods growing nicely. The one on my hand was about an inch long before i left a week and a half ago.

P1000017.jpg

Here is a yellow scotch bonnet that has at least 100 pods set on it. One issue im concerned about is that some of them are ripening berry sized.
Is this normal because the plant has set so many fruit at once?

P1000020.jpg

Here is a pic of some of the pods on the same plant

P1000021.jpg

Plants with lots of pods, man I love seeing that. Good to hear some of your plants are recovering Fade congrats.

Do you have any nutes that are high in phosphorous? That may help with your bloom drop problems. Good luck!

Back