• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

harvesting fall harvest question

has anyone noticed that the fall pods are hotter than the spring and summer pods?
I just made another batch of poppers with some douglahs and wow are they HOT:mouthonfire:

Well stress sure makes them hotter, but how the heck can you tell with those Douglahs? mine are beyond sensible heat...

Honestly, I haven't eaten enough of mine to be able to judge.
Less than a dozen pods all year so far, nearly everything I've picked this whole frakkin year has been cleaned, sliced, and frozen so I can make as much concentrate/sauce as possible.

Well you're more than invited to come over for a visit. I'll be getting a massive hab harvest soon, so that will be a great time. ;)

Thanks Man:cool:when you say that your Douglahs are beyond sensible heat...does that mean that they're not edible and if so...
how do they compare to the Nagas & Scorps in that regard?(i doubt that i'll ever have the guts to eat any of them myself:rolleyes:)

captainpepper said:
Thanks Man:cool:when you say that your Douglahs are beyond sensible heat...does that mean that they're not edible and if so...
how do they compare to the Nagas & Scorps in that regard?(i doubt that i'll ever have the guts to eat any of them myself:rolleyes:)
Nagas/Bhut are edible... frankly I eat them quite a lot. they're hot like some of my 7-Pots and Scorpions... barely edible.

Omri said:
Nagas/Bhut are edible... frankly I eat them quite a lot. they're hot like some of my 7-Pots and Scorpions... barely edible.
Does that mean the brown 7 pots are hotter then the Bhuts/Nagas you eat on a regular basis?:oops:(N or H that's the question?:eh:)

pappywith4 said:
amazing 48 lookers with no info!! Glad I am not the only one new to growing these hot peppers

hey pappy...I think the reason the peppers seem to be hotter is that they have been stressed pretty good during their growth...

I have also noticed my pods are larger now than they were about two months ago...

AlabamaJack said:
hey pappy...I think the reason the peppers seem to be hotter is that they have been stressed pretty good during their growth...

I have also noticed my pods are larger now than they were about two months ago...

AHHH YES STRESSED!!! tHATS IT i TRANSPLANTED THEM AND IT CAUSED A LOT OF THEM ABOUT 40 TO RIPEN AT ONE TIME. SORRY for the capps
they are still great as poppers but wow a rush that will almost make you sit down!!!!! not to mention 6-10 minutes of crying tears and blowing your nose till it starts to go back down!!
I have about 40 to 50 left to ripen that started after the transplant so I will see if they revert back to its former glory!
I ate just a half of a raw one and got a huge rush:mouthonfire:
I have been making poppers once a week . Last week I made 34 and brought to church for a get together and all but 10 were eaten.
LOL I didn't think to put a sign warning them that they were hot LOL I had folk all over with the hick-ups and sweating,crying,running for something to drink or eat!!
I was busy with the guest ministers and just left them out for everyone to try..I know I will have to repent but it sure was funny:lol:

I actually find my fall peppers have a lot less heat then those grown in the summer sun, and they are stressed a lot during the fall. IMO its very easy to stress a plant but it doesn't always make hotter pods, but often just weaker plants

I've definately noticed that my peppers get hotter later in the season. I've even noticed that store bought peppers of the same variety can be hotter in the fall/winter. Most of my observations are of Thai chillies. I think it's partly stress, but also the plant's age. This year I grew two Thai chillies where the first few pods were nothing, even less than a Jalapeno, but a month later, the plant was producing extremely hot peppers. There was no major change in feeding or conditions, it just took time for the plant to develop heat in the peppers.

My Jalapenos and orange habs seem to have been a little sweeter with less heat since the temps have dropped. My super-hots didn't produce until it cooled off, so I cannot use them to compare, but they are still hot.

Back