• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Fatalii confusion...

So, I expected that Fatalii pods were supposed to be yellow. Mine are orange and several have tails. OOPS! Is this possible for true Fatalii peppers, or are these a cross? I have 5 plants and there seems to be some variation in pod shape between them, one plant has smaller pods with a couple developing tails, the others have larger pods that look like Fataliis but are orange. I might add, the first ripe pepper of the year came off the plant producing smaller pods and it blistered my throat for 15 minutes. Hotter than C. Reds I grew last year. Any thoughts?

IMG_4834copy.jpg

Untitled-1copy.jpg

And one of my Bhut plants dropped a pod... sad but beautiful at the same time...

IMG_4831copy.jpg

Hope everyone is finding some success this year.

PT, the color doesn't look all that far off to me, but the shape is definitely not like any Fatalii I've seen. Hopefully others will know.

Good Luck

Mike

They are hot. Thought it was just first ripe pod syndrome so I ate another one. Nope, they are really hot. Throat searing, ear ringing, snot slinging hot. Tasted like a bitter orange hab though.

The Bhut is courtesy of the Hippie. All kudos go to him.

Yeah, with that tail I would say Fatalli Scorp cross. I bet that would taste AWESOME!! I get first dibs on seeds!!!! Seriously, I really do want some seeds...I have a kidney to trade...

Fatallis that I have grown dont look like that, they are usually longer than they are wide (like a Bhut shape)but with a few deepish lines in them and yellow or red not orange. That chilli looks wicked though. Sure is some developments in the chilli growing world.

Many non scorpion pods get the odd "tails" or "stingers" I've seen them occassionally on fataliis but its not a common shape

It really doesn't look like a Fatalii.
I have to say that its probably a cross.
Its not a bad thing. If its hot and tasty then its a keeper :)

Bleash

Here's a few odd shaped fatalii pods I've grown in the past. Other pods were normal
764747060d947a292abnz0.jpg

8507432874bc3c82387io0.jpg

And this is how peppers reproduce :) or maybe its chile forplay
8514531537d2541452amd5.jpg

Hey Turd ( had to do that ),

It doesn't look like a Fatalii in the least to me. And it's not just the stinger. Fatalii peppers should be long and shaped differently. More like you're Bhut. On the color,
I often , most the time, get orange peppers instead of a true yellow color. Don't have a clue if it's purely genetics or growing conditions.

On stingers I have to agree with POTAWIE. I have Scotch Bonnets with tails and pimples.

In any case enjoy them.

Peace,
P. Dreadie

Think I have it figured out. The one plant that produced a handful of pods with tails is stunted compared to the other Fatalii plants. All of its pods are on the small side compared to the others which are now obviously Fatalii plants. Maybe it is retaining petals longer causing the tails due to its poor health. Only question in my mind is that the pods off of that plant are blazing hot compared to the pods off of the normal plants. All of my Scorpion plants are accounted for so no mix up there. Thanks for the input everyone. I will try to isolate some flowers to save some seeds.

Back