• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Fatalii VS. Datil VS. Devil's Tongue

Narrowing down this year's growlist.  I do mostly mild to medium peppers, so I only need one or two hot ones, and by hot I mean hotter than a habanero.  I like the flavor of yellows over reds, and last year the Fatalii I grew turned out to be a red one.  I haven't tried Datil or Devil's Tongue, but I know they both come in yellow.

Can anyone give me a heat and flavor comparison of these?

Thanks!!!

I had red bullet habs, devils tongue and trinidad scorpions last year highalt.  The devils tongues were hotter than the habs but not as hot as the scorps imo.  Really pretty plants, about 4' high and good yields from the Devil's Tongues.  Never grown or tried Datil or Fatalis, so I can't give any info on those.

To me fatalli is the hottest of those with datil being below a hab. Fatalli is most floral with devils tongue being the least. Its all up to you.

go with datil. i've grown both datil and fatalii and both the orange and yellow fatalii. the orange variant is just too hot to do anything with. i didn't get that sweet, citrus flavour others have described associated with yellow fatalii and gave more of that stong chinense flavour common to some habs. the datil delivered an immediate sweet taste that filled my mouth and a more mild chinense flavour. i do admit to not having the best growing conditions that may contribute to bitter tasting peppers. quintisho is another yellow pepper that delivered that immediate sweet flavour.

i haven't tried devil's tongue but it is on my long term list.

good luck on whatever you pick.

Bonnie, How are you? I'm a yellow over red person myself. No doubt about the unique and hot flavor of the yellow Fatalii. I haven't grown the red. The Datil is also a very unique flavor with surprising heat. The only Devil's Tongue I ever grew was not true but I loved it and It was the most productive and largest plant I've grown. I think if your making a lot of sauce the Devil's Tongue gives you a little more mass than the Datil. I think more interesting flavors come from the Datil and the Fatalii. The Datils can be heavy producers as well. I have several of them going this season.

Good luck with your choice selection and your season!

Mike

I have not grown nor tried the Devils tongue or Datil.  I grew Fatalii last season, however, and it was by far my most vigorous and productive plant producing maybe 100 or 200 hot cirtusy pods.  I can't talk to the productivity of the others but think getting something that is, perhaps, more likely to give you pods is another consideration.  Irrespective of how delicious they could be, a given plant is no good if they don't produce pods for you.

i have grown all 3 several times and would rate them as follows:
heat: fatalii, devils tongue, datil  (datil being considerably less than the other 2 which are fairly close)
flavor: datil, fatalii, devils tongue (datils are sooo fruity- probably my favorite pepper, fatalii's are too but the heat tends to override some of it)
productivity: fatalii, datil, devils tongue (fatalii has consistently been a great producer for me)

overall were i you i would probably grow both datil and fatalii and ditch the devils tongue. if i had to grow just one it would be datil.

The yellow fatalli is a scorcher for sure. I would say the ones I had last year were around 650k with the Devil about 580 and the datil about 260.

Wow, thank you everyone for the quick and informative responses!!!  I stuck a couple of Fatalii seeds in the dirt before I even checked back here, but after reading what everyone had to say about the Datil,  I think I will sow a couple of them as well.  I haven't actually checked my stash yet to see if I even have any Devils Tongue seeds.  I really only need one or two hot types, since I'm the only one in the family that can tolerate anything hotter than a jalapeno.

Just out of curiosity, how do the yellow Scotch Bonnets compare to these other three?

I love the Devil Tongues. Super fruity. They were the first pepper hotter than hab I ever had (aside from a few bhuts). I haven't tried Datil.
Hard to answer the scotch bonnet question as there seems to be a million varieties lol

I made a bonda ma jacques x yellow 7 cross which might suit you, but it's only at F3 at this point I believe..
I'm not growing them now, but Gary (Windchicken) is...

Just out of curiosity, how do the yellow Scotch Bonnets compare to these other three?

yellow bonnets wouldn't meet your heat requirement that you are looking for but they are very tasty and have a nice aroma, once you cut open a yellow bonnet you will never forget its essence and once eaten, your new bench mark for all other peppers will be the yellow scotch bonnet. it is actually quite difficult to describe its flavour as it can have the mild chinense undertone but tastes nothing like a habanero - that was my first impression of a bonda ma jacques, it reminded me of "hab". but, i am growing bondas for 2014 to replenish seed stock and to give myself a memory reminder.

i have 3 variations of yellow scotch bonnets: jamaican, foodrama and one i call bashas(the grocery store where i purchased them).
my favourite is the jamaican for bonnet shape and taste. foodrama produced a lot of peppers and the basha strain produced the largest of pods but no bonnet shape. all are very hardy plants i had to kill off some of the bashas as i am completely out of room for 2014 seedlings and they just keep growing and are my best looking overwintering plants.

Love Fatalis but I'd recommend Datils. Both taste great but different flavors.
Haven't tried Devils Tongue.
Burning Colon said:
yellow bonnets wouldn't meet your heat requirement that you are looking for but they are very tasty and have a nice aroma, once you cut open a yellow bonnet you will never forget its essence and once eaten, your new bench mark for all other peppers will be the yellow scotch bonnet. it is actually quite difficult to describe its flavour as it can have the mild chinense undertone but tastes nothing like a habanero - that was my first impression of a bonda ma jacques, it reminded me of "hab". but, i am growing bondas for 2014 to replenish seed stock and to give myself a memory reminder.

i have 3 variations of yellow scotch bonnets: jamaican, foodrama and one i call bashas(the grocery store where i purchased them).
my favourite is the jamaican for bonnet shape and taste. foodrama produced a lot of peppers and the basha strain produced the largest of pods but no bonnet shape. all are very hardy plants i had to kill off some of the bashas as i am completely out of room for 2014 seedlings and they just keep growing and are my best looking overwintering plants.
Very good review there !

Fataliis are one of my favorite hots. In my experience, compared to DT they are slightly larger, with thinner walls and less seed. They both have similar flavor and heat, although I thought the Fataliis were slightly hotter and a little more tasty than the DTs. Although rated in the hab range for heat, they have a searing heat and there is something about them that makes them seem hotter than they really are.

Have not tried Datils, but will be growing them this year.

Back