• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

favorite Favorite Mayo

Here is THE list........learn it.....live it.......and it is not up for debate:

#1) Dukes (There is nothing better. NO, your choice doesn't count.)
#2) Blue Plate (Not as good as Dukes, but will do if some natural disaster prevents me from getting to the Dukes.)
#3) Hellman's (My childhood favorite before I founnd the above two. Still a solid choice.)
#4) Homemade mayo (This could take any of the above positions except #1. )
#47,232) Miracle Whip (Please.......you should be ashamed of yourselves.)

Last time I tried that one it had a funky aftertaste. Anyone else get mayo burps with some mayos? This one is really bad for that, for me.
Was it the safflower version? There are a few different types they make, but I only like the safflower version. The others don't taste right to me.

Last edited:
We have settled on Dukes as the overall favorite. Hellmans Homestyle if Dukes is sold out and Sir Kensingtons (avocado oil version) for the occasional treat when Costco has it on sale. Blue Plate is just fine but i cant get it locally.

I'm Dutch.....favorite mayo is one of the cheapest actually....'Zaanse mayonaise'....unbeatable, the best!

vw-zaanse-mayonaise-500g--mayonesa-.png

Honestly I urge anyone to try the 365 (Whole Foods house brand). It's slightly tangy and less eggy. I am guessing they add just a tad more vinegar that cuts that egginess and adds a little tang. It's also on par with price to cheaper mayos since it's the house brand.

If you like Kewpie you will probably really like Dukes too. Its all yolks just like Kewpie and the cider vinegar blend is softer like the rice vinegar blend used in Kewpie. Neither have any added sugar.

Last edited:
Duke's doesn't have MSG, the addicting part of Kewpie.

we use Kraft mayo with olive oil. Wife has bought that for years and I dont care. Now,,,,,,,,,,,,, NOTHING is better than cold leftover turkey sandwich with Miracle Whip. There I said it, who wants to fight?

we use Kraft mayo with olive oil. Wife has bought that for years and I dont care. Now,,,,,,,,,,,,, NOTHING is better than cold leftover turkey sandwich with Miracle Whip. There I said it, who wants to fight?
Dude, thats like saying 1000 Island beats French dressing in a french dressing competition!
Miracle Whip may be something put on bread for a sammich....but it AINT mayo! Not even in the same category for judging.

Now when talking about sandwich dressings, one can add mayo, miracle whip, yellow mustard, dijon, ranch dressing, alabama white sawse....

But when talking about mayo.....just keep it mayo...and dont try to say blue cheese dressing is a better mayo. :lol:

Ok was that enough of a a gauntlet?

BTW....Lady and you both look awesome! Xoxo

Edit...after reading the previous post, Siccy says MW is awesome on a turkey sammy.....which is not saying MW is better than mayo..... my bad....

Last edited:
Well it was originally called "Miracle Whip Salad Dressing" for a reason. It was for dressing salads like potato, macaroni, and cole slaw. People started using it as mayo. They added the word to the label.

Well it was originally called "Miracle Whip Salad Dressing" for a reason. It was for dressing salads like potato, macaroni, and cole slaw. People started using it as mayo. They added the word to the label.
That makes sense.
We never had it in the house growing up. I think i was around 20 yo when introduced to it. A boyfriend liked MW on his lunchbox sandwiches. OK...go with that....
Until.....i was making deviled eggs and only had MW to use.... YUCK!!!! Not even the same flavor for those deviled eggs. I did not even want to admit i made those deviled eggs.....

They only put Mayo on the label recently but people have always put it on sammies. When I was a kid it was popular on bologna! 🤮

Every Jell-O mold should have cauliflower and a Miracle Whip topping 🤮

1641608976853.png

Side note...who has made mayo from scratch? First of all, i gotta give you props, cuz scratch is really hard to source....

Back