contest February Throwdown - Cast Iron Shenanigans

Status
Not open for further replies.
You, sir SD, are tilting dangerously close to a kitchen mutiny!!!

My original question was more along the lines of...
Are there any traditional 'beginner' dishes? Or do ya all just dive in and let the smoke alarm sing?

Hep me out TB!?!?!

just bought a new one, 15 inches of pure awesomness, kind of like my penis

Why did you buy a new penis?

You, sir SD, are tilting dangerously close to a kitchen mutiny!!!

My original question was more along the lines of...
Are there any traditional 'beginner' dishes? Or do ya all just dive in and let the smoke alarm sing?

Hep me out TB!?!?!

Poppers.
Blackened ANYTHING.
Bacon.
Pancakes.

relax. At the end of the day, it's just a regular old skillet that has the magical power to turn everything awesome.
I have a cook set that cost a couple hundred dollars, and the only thing I really use is my 12 inch CI that I picked up behind the register at Cracker Barrel for $17

I'm concerned anything I try is going to become "Blackened Everything"! Blackened pancakes...bleh.

Bacon...yes, bacon....

I wouldn't blacken anything in a new just pre-seasoned cast iron. Bacon is a good first choice. Just keep the heat to a moderate level. Once you get a nice carbon coat on it, crank the heat up and blacken away.

Since you're cooking B L & D, am I correct in reckoning SD is volunteering for dish duty?

You don't have to use just animal fat, but you do want an oil that takes a higher heat, such as canola. Use olive oil whlie the heat's lower, canola (etc.) when higher.

Good to know! I really hate 'frying' things, so this is going to open a whole new world...if I can step thru the magical threshold of CI cooking.....

You don't have to use just animal fat, but you do want an oil that takes a higher heat, such as canola. Use olive oil whlie the heat's lower, canola (etc.) when higher.
No no no G! Canola is for salads.
High heat oil is vegetable, or peanut. Canola turns into a carcinogen at high heat, research it. I could totaly be wrong, but I don't do it.

Check your facts, Scovie.

Mayo Clinic: Health concerns regarding canola oil that are being circulated on the Internet are unfounded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back