• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting Fermented Aji Lemon

This is my first attempt at a fermented sauce. I don't particularly care for the taste of Aji Lemons when they're fresh. Hoping a little aging will do them well, like it does tabasco.

Sanitized everything.

Put about 60 or so aji lemons in a blender with 2 cloves of garlic and chopped it up fine.
Threw it in a pot with a little water and a tsp of salt. I cooked that for a little bit, just to kill any germies that may be on the peppers. Softened it up too.

Into my bubbler jar. Added whatever whey I could harvest from some full-fat yogurt. Topped with water. Then I just let it sit.

Initially, all the peppers sunk to the bottom. When I woke up today, some of it had risen to the top, and it looked like parts of the mash were churning.

Does this mean it's working? Any advice would help.

FD

(pic is day 2)

IMGP2053.jpg

It's really great. No need for vinegar or lemon/lime juice as the Lactic Acid produced by the fermentation process takes the place of it. So, if you use them it's for a flavor your trying for and not to get the ph down. So far every fermentation I've done, including the Jamaica Me sauce I sent to you has been spot on for ph and i love the flavor of the fermentated and aged peppers.

If it was already mentioned, I brainfarted past it. There are different types of Ph test strips. You should use those designed for food. Most major cities will have a restaurant supply store that will or should carry them.

Here we go. It hasn't changed much lately, I think everything's going well. No weird smells or colors or sludge anywhere. Basically it's behaving nicely.

I want to start planning what I'm going to do with it when I unleash it from it's jar. Thinking lemon peel, maybe turnip to thicken instead of carrot.

IMGP2096.jpg

That's looking good Frydad...still has a nice color too.
Did you ever open it early on.... back when it was working hard?
If not...you shouldn't have to worry about any nasties.

BTW,I recently used some canned pumpkin(for the first time) to thicken a batch of sauce I made from a Habanero mash left over from last season. I really liked the consistency, and couldn't detect any pumpkin taste in the flavor of the sauce. I liked it well enough that I'll probably try it again.

Thanks for the photo

never opened it. I did have to shake it a bit to get the goodies down below the water level, but I never broke the seal.
You can't see it in the photo, but the bubbler is full of the yellow juice from the blow over.

Pretty soon we'll start talking about where I go from here...

Thanks for your advice!! RM Too!!!

That's looking good Frydad...still has a nice color too.
Did you ever open it early on.... back when it was working hard?
If not...you shouldn't have to worry about any nasties.

BTW,I recently used some canned pumpkin(for the first time) to thicken a batch of sauce I made from a Habanero mash left over from last season. I really liked the consistency, and couldn't detect any pumpkin taste in the flavor of the sauce. I liked it well enough that I'll probably try it again.

Thanks for the photo

hey Chili Monsta!!!
how do you use pumkin with the mash left??? canned pumpkin?? this is new for me my friend! I never see pumpkin canned!! can I use fresh pumpkin? I need to cook the fresh pumpkin??
sorry for the many questions eheheh I´m curious about pumpkin eheheh

Greetings kibaumm,
Yes, you could use fresh pumpkin also. I used the canned pumpkin because it is easier....and I only need about 1/2 cup in the sauce.
I would just steam some pieces of fresh pumpkin in a pan, or simply microwave it until the flesh softens enough that allows you to scrape it off the outer shell.
You still might want to cook it down for a few minutes before adding it to the sauce mixture.
Good Luck to you.

When it comes out I'm going to strain and cook it with lemon peel, thyme, and fresh artichoke hearts to thicken, then puree. Maybe add some lemon juice??? A touch of cream or olive oil??? Suggestions???

No to cream or oils I think unless your going to use it right away. It would become rancid too quickly. Best to make your basic sauce and add sauce to oil or cream as needed to make a final sauce the way youwant to serve it. Just mho.

No to cream or oils I think unless your going to use it right away. It would become rancid too quickly. Best to make your basic sauce and add sauce to oil or cream as needed to make a final sauce the way youwant to serve it. Just mho.
+1 RM
Also Frydad....you don't have to use all of your fermented mash for a single batch of sauce.
The mash will keep for several months in the fridge. Just make sure to keep all the solids submerged in the liquid. Over time,the flavor of your mash will continue to grow richer.(because actually, it continues to ferment, just at a much slower rate)
I have 3 totally different mashes in the fridge as we speak, that have been used in probably a dozen or more batches of sauce/salsa/chutney so far.
Each sauce had different added ingredients along with a few ounces of mash.
I regularly use a pepper mash in other fermented projects...as a starter and for both the heat and complex depth of flavor it brings.(ie, Kim Chi,sauerkraut,pickles,green beans,turnips carrots,green tomatoes)

Thanks. Good advice!!

So does the following make sense...

2 fresh artichoke hearts, boiled till very soft.
Strips of Lemon zest.
1 cup of the fermented pepper mash.
Puree the hell out of this until it's a smooth consistency.
Cook for 10 minutes at a low boil. Stirring frequently.
Hot pack my sauce in sterilized bottles, flip it upside down, and store?

That sounds good to me cept I'd prolly add some sweet onion also.

Cooking should be more like boil 20 - 30 mins, blender, boil 15 mins or till consistency you want (add water if too thick), blender, simmer at 190 for 15 mins, bottle, flip bottles for 15 mins or till cool. Remember to monitor your sauce temp while you bottle. If it falls below 185 just reheat it till it's good. I usually have my sanitized crock pot with boiled water in it on high waiting and when I'm ready to bottle dump the water and pour in sauce. It will atay at the right temperature long enough for me to bottle it all. Also anything that is going to touch the final sauce should be sanitized. Just like brewing.

Cheers, :beer:
RM :cool:

Back